Types of brake pads????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVMAX

Reaction score
Hello all you maxers. I have a question about types of brake pads. My current rear pad "squeal" when applied. They are not worn just noisy. So my question is, can anything be done? should I just replace them? what are the best pads? I have seen cabon kevlar to sintered metal. Whats the best for our bike. thanks

You can apply some Anti Squeal to the back of the pads, that may help.
Many people use the EBC Organic (Kevlar) Rear Pads, and are happy with them.
Personally I use EBC HH rear pads because they last longer, don't put out anywhere near as much dust and they tend to not squeal as bad.
The HH pads do grab harder though so they may take a bit of getting used to.

Organic Brake Pad Info:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/organic_brake_pads/index.shtml

HH Brake Pad Info:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sintered_brake_pads/double_h_superbike_pads/index.shtml

Last edited:
organic pads work well. also the stop squeal stuff from morley that goes ON the pads worked wonders for me!

You can apply some Anti Squeal to the back of the pads, that may help.
Many people use the EBC Organic (Kevlar) Rear Pads, and are happy with them.
Personally I use EBC HH rear pads becuse they last longer, don't put out anywhere near as much dust and they tend to not squeal as bad.
The HH pads do grab harder though so they may take a bit of getting used to.

Organic Brake Pad Info:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/organic_brake_pads/index.shtml

HH Brake Pad Info:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sintered_brake_pads/double_h_superbike_pads/index.shtml
+1, I've had good luck with EBC HH pads.

I've found that some pads do it and some don't. I replace and try something different each time. I'm leaning towards organic! Change them.

Try de-glazing the pads and disk's first.

Use some fine W & D and rub at 45 degree to the radius of the disk (i.e. NOT along the line of rotation)

If that sorts it then perhaps you need to use the front brake more?
This should prevent the glaze building up again.

Hello all you maxers. I have a question about types of brake pads. My current rear pad "squeal" when applied. They are not worn just noisy. So my question is, can anything be done? should I just replace them? what are the best pads? I have seen cabon kevlar to sintered metal. Whats the best for our bike. thanks

I barely ever use the rear brake, only when braking really hard on the front and need to "level" the bike, but I do apply some light braking to the rear every now and then while riding, just to keep them "clean" and happy (=no sqealing)

I put the EBC FA88 on the rear, front was okay and still looking good. After a little over 4,150 miles I wanted to check to see how the front and back was wearing. The front still looks fine; however, to my surprise the rear I replaced earlier are near gone and needs replacement again. I do not ride that hard and down shift most of the time when slowing down and use more front braking when making straight stops.

I need something that will go further than 4,000 miles. Is this normal mileage for this type of pad. :confused2:

^ I've got around 6500 Miles on my Rear EBC HH pads and they aren't even 1/2 worn yet.
I usually get between 12K to 15K Miles out of a set.

^ I've got around 6500 Miles on my Rear EBC HH pads and they aren't even 1/2 worn yet.
I usually get between 12K to 15K Miles out of a set.

Perhaps the EBC FA88 are much softer than the HH. When I ordered the pads for the front and back at the same time they sent the HH for the front and FA88 for the rear. So that may explain why the fronts pads still have plenty of pad left. Oh well, I will be seeking out some back replacement pads today.

Perhaps the EBC FA88 are much softer than the HH. When I ordered the pads for the front and back at the same time they sent the HH for the front and FA88 for the rear. So that may explain why the fronts pads still have plenty of pad left. Oh well, I will be seeking out some back replacement pads today.
I use EBC FA160HH - Front
and FA88HH - Rear, with my Stock Calipers and Rotors.
And the rear pads always last longer than the front pads due to the fact that the front brakes get used Alot more.
And the FA88HH Pads last at least 2-3 times as long as the Organic (Kevlar) FA88 Pads.

The HH Pads do grab alot better though, so be careful when you first get them.
Get a feel for them before riding much, so you don't lock up the rear end out on the road.

I use EBC FA160HH - Front
and FA88HH - Rear, with my Stock Calipers and Rotors.
And the rear pads always last longer than the front pads due to the fact that the front brakes get used Alot more.
And the FA88HH Pads last at least 2-3 times as long as the Organic (Kevlar) FA88 Pads.

The HH Pads do grab alot better though, so be careful when you first get them.
Get a feel for them before riding much, so you don't lock up the rear end out on the road.

That's a big help, explains the difference in the the FA88 vs FA88HH :)

I rarely recommend the HH rears. They simply have too much braking power and easily locked up when you least want it. The organics are also easier on the rotors.

Sean

I rarely recommend the HH rears. They simply have too much braking power and easily locked up when you least want it. The organics are also easier on the rotors.

Sean

Appreciate the advice, makes since. Will replace with the same product and adjust my braking habits more to the front. Thanks again for the safety advice.

^ I've been using EBC HH Pads on the rear for about 10 years and have never had a problem with Locking up the Rear Tire or with the Rotor.
My Rear Rotor is still the Original from 2000.

It's very easy to do since this bike has so much rear braking power. Get really good fronts and the rear gets lighter and even easier to lock up. I've had my rears GLOWING as well.

Sean

A little confused still, some folks say never use the back brake. Only use the front to stop in a straight line or to slow down hard enough to pre-load front folks in the straight line segment and letting off before making the curve for better front wheel tracking.

What's your best advice that seems to work well, and when you use back brakes the most :ummm:

I use all the brakes all the time. I do tend to use the rear brakes a lot around here for normal driving and down my dirt roads. Helps prevent washout since the road surface is loose.

I use the Front Brakes 100% of the time.
I Only use the Rear Brake when I need to slow down quickly or when sitting at a light or just creeping forward.
I have never driven my Max on Dirt Roads, I only ride on fair to good asphalt/concrete roads.
I don't really worry about the front end slipping out on me, but obviously different road conditions would justify different Braking styles.
As stated by almost every motorcycle manufacturer and expert, the Front brakes provide 70-80% of your Stopping power.

The stock pads. They. won't. stop. squeeking.
2006 and just ordered:
EBC FA160HH - Front
and FA88HH - Rear

Over roughly 1500 city miles I've only locked the rear once and I that was because I wanted to. We'll see if I end up swapping the rear and going organic for it, but I'm hoping not because I hate messing with brake dust and dicking around with pads in general. In it for the lower maintenance and longer life.

I use all brakes all the time under normal conditions, and I apply rear before front in wet conditions just out of caution. When the roads are a slick I'd much rather find out I'm floating on oil with a fishtail instead of a cartwheel.

I think that going against the advice of Morley will ultimately result in me blowing $30 and agreeing with him, but I so badly want the HH pad on the rear to work out that I'm going to try it for myself.

Side note: the front pads have plenty of life but the rear pads are totally gone. The original owner apparently subscribed to the 'front brake = instant death' line of thinking... and over a mere 2000 miles managed to totally kill the rear pads. :ummm:

Back