Universal Power brand batteries?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chatam/V-Max

Reaction score
I believe it's time for a new battery, I am wanting to get something besides the normal Yuasa replacement. The Panasonic LC-X1220P is rated at 20 ah, is supposed to fit the stock V-Max battery box just fine. Has anyone tried the Universal Power UB12180-B1 rated at 18 ah, or the UB12220 rated at 22 ah ?
Do either the Panasonic or Universal Power brands need any type of mod done to the Terminals?
Any help on this would be great!
BTW - I located the 18 ah stated above for $33.92 & the 22 ah for $44.50, both are sealed units too.
Thanks!

*Note* - Jumped bike to get it started, drove 10 miles, shut it down, would not start again. All the bells & whistles came on but that's all she wrote. Bike is a 2002 with the original battery so most likely time for a new one now.

I believe it's time for a new battery, I am wanting to get something besides the normal Yuasa replacement. The Panasonic LC-X1220P is rated at 20 ah, is supposed to fit the stock V-Max battery box just fine. Has anyone tried the Universal Power UB12180-B1 rated at 18 ah, or the UB12220 rated at 22 ah ?
Do either the Panasonic or Universal Power brands need any type of mod done to the Terminals?
Any help on this would be great!
BTW - I located the 18 ah stated above for $33.92 & the 22 ah for $44.50, both are sealed units too.
Thanks!

*Note* - Jumped bike to get it started, drove 10 miles, shut it down, would not start again. All the bells & whistles came on but that's all she wrote. Bike is a 2002 with the original battery so most likely time for a new one now.

I just bought a PowerSonic 12180 AGM for $56 shipped. PowerSonic makes a regular 12180 and a high rate discharge version ( the 21 aH one I bought).

I believe the 12180 designation is a universal battery size/type as Panasonic and others uses the number also. It's fits right in the Vmax tray without modification. It was little shorter and a touch wider. Mine came with vertical terminals so I had to twist the battery cables 90 degrees but they weren't stressed at all. It works great. When my engine is warm, it doesn't even turn over, just starts running.

A couple weeks back, I ordered one from the Co. that vmaxoutlaw supplies a link to...supposed to be 'Panasonic', but it comes as another type and number on the case... Totally maintenance and overflow free.

The price delivered to my door was a little over 50 bux... came out of the box ready to install. No fit probs...easy hookup...excellent cold/hot cranking power...

So Far..So Good!

Uncle Philthy

I just bought a PowerSonic 12180 AGM for $56 shipped. PowerSonic makes a regular 12180 and a high rate discharge version ( the 21 aH one I bought).

I believe the 12180 designation is a universal battery size/type as Panasonic and others uses the number also. It's fits right in the Vmax tray without modification. It was little shorter and a touch wider. Mine came with vertical terminals so I had to twist the battery cables 90 degrees but they weren't stressed at all. It works great. When my engine is warm, it doesn't even turn over, just starts running.
can someone tell me how to get the seat off to get to the battery.just got my vmax and don't have the manual.

Flip up center section of seat, remove 2x Phillips head bolts, remove 2x 10mm head sized bolts on flip up hardware, and pull seat back and out. Should get you there:biglaugh: . Would post pics identifying exact bolts, but don't have any. Also there is no need to remove the back seat when getting access to battery, but you will have to remove rear coil mount if you have to pull the battery. Hope this helps.

I am going to be replacing my Yuasa with an Odyssey battery. This is a gel cell, deep cycle battery that will outlast any lead acid on the market. One thing though, they are fairly pricey.

I paid$90 delivered right from Odysee.You get the full warranty this way too. came in 2 days from califooorniaaaah! (Arnold)

Back