V-Boost Flange

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
Being that my Carbs are off the bike I noticed that the v-boost flanges were quite built up with crap, mostly around the rubber seals so I figured I'd pull them off and clean things up. Once I pulled all four I discovered the o-ring's that seal the flanges to the engine were caked in varnish. I carefully cleaned everything and removed all signs of crusty gas from the flanges and the o-rings and replaced the the system. My question is, was if fine to reuse the o-rings? Like I said I cleaned them very well and they didn't look damaged at all.
My second noobie question has to do with the allen bolts that hold the flanges on. Small amounts of oil came out of a couple of the bolt holes when I removed them...normal? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but bare with me over the next few months as I pull things apart to clean, repair, replace and learn. Thanks.:ummm:

I'm pretty cheap myself but one is rarely into those flanges so why not replace them. Harbor Freight has O-ring kits that are reasonable and those rings are fairly easy to match. Sure, re using might work but for the cost and piece of mind, I would have replaced them. You will read many maladies of carb or intake related issues from air leaking around the seals of the carbs both to the airbox/filtet and between the V boost butterflies/intakes.
A bit of oil in the bolt holes? No problem I have ever come across. Heck, that might keep them from siezing in place. If it bothers you, I'd reinstall with a schmear of anti sieze compound and a dap of silicon under the bolt head.

I guess I should have explained better concerning the the oil in the bolt holes...I mean there is oil coming out of the bolt holes (two for sure). Removed the bolt, oil trickled out, wiped it up and even balled up a corner of a rag and jammed it down in the hole to suck it up. It worked but the hole filled right back up.

The left front bolt and the right rear bolt are tapped into the oil galleries, they are sealed from the factory with a dob of sliycone on the end. If you check your bolts, two of them will have that little dob....put them back in those two holes.

The left front bolt and the right rear bolt are tapped into the oil galleries, they are sealed from the factory with a dob of sliycone on the end. If you check your bolts, two of them will have that little dob....put them back in those two holes.

Will do...thanks:clapping: I guess that would explain the two shorter bolts. I noticed on the two shorter bolts that the mid threads have some silicone on them but I am pretty sure those threads wont penetrate into the engine. Would it be wise of me to put some more silicone on the threads or would that be pointless because the oil in the hole would interfere with a good seal.?

Last edited:
Those two bolts are also supposed to be shorter then the others, when I pulled mine apart they had them all messed up.

Clean off the old sealer and apply fresh when you re-build.

Also try and de-grease the thread hole to ensure you get a good seal.

A right P.I.T.A. if you have a leak once everything is back together!

Clean off the old sealer and apply fresh when you re-build.

Also try and de-grease the thread hole to ensure you get a good seal.

A right P.I.T.A. if you have a leak once everything is back together!

Will do. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.

Back