Valve cover Gaskets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYp8riot

Reaction score
I need to replace my valve cover Gaskets.

Any Idea on what shop time should be if I have it done at the shop? A local mechanic told me he could do it in about 3 hours. If that is accurate it may take me 6? Any thoughts advice or input?

:punk: I'd say about 3 hours and a six pack should do it. Take your time cleaning the old ones off, and install the new ones on the covers while on a bench. When the silicone sets up put them back on the bike. It's not rocket science, take your time, have fun. Good Luck, Spur

They are kind of nasty to take off with the motor still in the frame. If it is a straight forward, pull covers, get the gasket off, and reinstall, I'm guessing someone that hasn't done it will be around the 4-5 hours round trip.

The front involves moving just about everything out of the way...as I recall, I pulled them off with the carbs in place, and put them back on with the carbs off. Take the extra time to pull the carbs, as it will help with getting a little more wiggle room. The back one looks easier, but still isn't any treat. It can certainly be done, just takes some time and patience.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be easier to pull the motor and replace them vs trying to do it in the frame. :D

I need to replace my valve cover Gaskets.

Any Idea on what shop time should be if I have it done at the shop? A local mechanic told me he could do it in about 3 hours. If that is accurate it may take me 6? Any thoughts advice or input?

You can easliy DIY.
Bealive me, piece a cake.

Im not sure about the states but here in eu there're some aftermarkets brands that offering valve cover gaskets.
Do not ever buy this crap couse it will leak after 60 miles.
Only OEM.

I've done it when I did my valves clearances. It really isn't that hard, but a little time-consuming. Knowing what you're doing, it should not take much more than 3 hours.

I didn't need to pull my carbs at all. But, for the front one, you need to remove:
- faux-tank cover
- airbox complete
- both scoops
- LH electrics panel
- move the RH one out of the way a bit
- loosen radiator (I recommend draining coolant and removing it)
- rubber heat shield above front cylinders
- remove TCI bracket bolts, move it up out of the way

The reason for this is that the metal elbow for the Vboost cable makes it impossible to remove/refit the front valves cover. As the Vboost servo is attached to the TCI bracket, that's the way to go.

I also recommended draining the coolant system not so much to remove the radiator, but because it makes life a helluva lot easier to remove the top coolant hoses on of the cylinder heads.

As noted the rear one isn't as difficult, so it's prolly a good idea to start there.

Holding the new gasket in place when refitting the cover is harder than it seems. You gotta make sure it's perfectly fitted before tightening the cover bolts.

:punk: Oh Yeah, Pay attention to the arrows on the covers and gaskets, they only fit one way. Spurs

Also be sure you do not knock the little rubber "bumpers" out of place when refitting the covers.

I'm about to do mine too. I was going to install new dry gaskets on spotless dry head and spotless dry cover? What is the preferred procedure used. Installed in cover with silicone or hytack permatex or some other sealant and dry to the head or sealant both sides. I have double sealed in other applications much to my regret later. So please what method and what products have you all found to work for you? Thanks Rand.

:punk: Hey, I install them to the covers, let them set up good, and then install on bike. I have had no problems this way and have take them off several times with no problems. Good Luck, Spur

I spear (very lightly!) Permatex Black on cover. Think of it like greasing a cookie sheet...except less. Set gaskets on and let them sit for an hour. The only purpose of the silocone is to hold the cover on during reassembly. It does not seal against leaks...the gaskets do that. Hi tack spray works too but takes longer IMO.

They suck in the bike in my opinion.

Sean

+1

This was one of the most miserable jobs I've had to do on a bike. There is hardly enough clearance to even think about removing the covers. Somehow it works. I removed a bunch of crap. I think the worst was the VBoost motor IIRC because it was hard to get to the screws and they were stuck.... It took me way more than 3hrs but it was a first for me.

I can get the whole dang engine out in not much more then an hour if I am in a hurry. Takes a bit longer to get it back in but dang. Even the valve adjustment is easier with it out of course.

Sean

Latest posts

Back