Vapor from only one pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44 magnum

Reaction score
It was chilly this morning (about 50) so the exhaust was condensing as it exited the pipes. Well, only ONE pipe (top right). As my sig says, I have a stock bike with Cobra slip-ons. Am I correct to suspect that I just have a syncronization issue?

I know very little about carbs in general and even less about Max's set up, so I'm probably going to just take it to the shop and have them verify the carb set up. Before I do though, I was just curious as to what some of y'all thought (Mark, etc.).

Thanks guys. Hope all is well with you! :)

Try sync'ing first. Then, see how many turns the mixture screw is open. Is that cylinder firing for sure? How does it idle?

Mark

Try sync'ing first. Then, see how many turns the mixture screw is open. Is that cylinder firing for sure? How does it idle?

Mark

Hi Mark, bike's running well overall so while I can't be SURE if it's firing, the idle seems pretty smooth (for a carb) and runs very well throughout the RPM band. I only get the ocassional sputter coming off the line at a light/intersection at times. Not while I'm pinning the throttle, but at sort of a lazy run up to 3-4 grand before shifting into 2nd. I just figured that was part of a carb'd motor's behavior.

I'll have to do some searching of your past threads to know what I'm doing with the mixture screw and get back to you. Like I said before, I know very little about carbs and about Max, but I have you guys and the Yamaha manual so I'm sure I'll learn.

Realistically I'll have to get back to you on the mixture screw turn number this weekend but I'll be back to let you know for sure.)

Well after taking a peek "under the hood" last night, I think I've decided that Max is running just fine. LOL!!!!!!

Really though, I may get deeper into the carbs this winter but it just looked like I was going to have to take a bunch of stuff off to get to these mixture screws you were asking me about. I performed the rich/lean tests that you had posted in a past thread (running at 4K then whack the throttle to see how it performs, WOT throttle pull from 3rd, etc). It did fine. I think I'm just being too picky. I see some black soot on the inside of my Cobras (I know you guys have said they make Max run rich) and think that I need to get in there and mess with it.

I probably just need to be happy with what I have 'til I have the time to work with it and learn. I was thinking that I could run up and down the road and do some tweaking in the driveway between runs but I guess that's not the case. I have to get used to the fact that this isn't a hot rod car/truck where the carb is sitting there out in the open and ultra-accessible. LOL!!

Yeah....only quick changes that you can make to these carbs are mixture screws, sync and needle adjustments.

Mark

Yeah....only quick changes that you can make to these carbs are mixture screws, sync and needle adjustments.

Mark

So the mixture screws and needle adjustments can be done without taking off a bunch of stuff? (The sync screw location is the only one I seem to know.)

The manual seems to be getting me turned around or something if this is the case. Part of the problem is I just don't know what I'm looking at on these carbs. If I can get to the mixture screws pretty easily then I can tell you how many turns are on them.

Sure can, take a look at the picture. I circled where the mixture screws are. You may have to remove the brass plugs if they're still there. Just drill a small hole in them, screw in a self-tapping screw and pull with a pair of plier. The plugs aren't very thick so careful when drilling.

As for the needles, see the aluminm side covers in the pic? Just remove the four screws. Then, remove the slide spring and slide. Be careful of the small o-ring behind the cover over the purge jet oriface.

Mark

Attachments

• float drain screw.jpg
    float drain screw.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
Well then heck yeah! I'll check it out here in a few.

Thanks for the help man. (And your patience!)

:worthy:

Okay, here we go. I'll have to describe them as left-front, right-front, etc since I don't know for sure the proper numbering system right now.

Left-front = Not quite 2 turns
Left-rear = 2 turns

Right-front = 2 turns
Right-rear = Not quite 2 turns

The guy I bought this bike from this spring had done a re-build to the carbs (exactly what he had done, I don't know). He said he tuned the carbs to be a little rich and that he sync'd by ear. As my sig states, this is a stock bike with the only two exceptions being the K&N filter and the Cobra slash pipes.

Other than that, I have no other information for you. I realize that until I get a sync tool that I have a rather large variable there, but do the mixture screws sound that far out of whack to you?

Oh, and do the mixture screws have a lot to do with syncronization? (Sorry if that's a dumb-ass question guys.)

Last edited:
Sounds normal. I wouldn't touch them again until you can sync your carbs.

I tune mine by sync'ing, then adjusting each mixture screw one at a time, then re-checking the sync. Mixture screws do affect the sync a bit.

Mark

Back