Virginia Inspection Sticker Plate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I bought my first VMAX yesterday and instantly fell in love with it. I found a 1985 pretty much all stock in great shape for a great price. The guy i bought it off of had "stacked" about 6 years worth of inspection stickers on top of each other on the left fork. I HATE THIS!!! I am working on getting all the dry rotted, hardened stickers off the fork but there is obvious damage to the finish from someone else who apparently had the same idea as me. Anyway.....my question to you all is where can I find an aluminum plate that will mount on the bike somewhere for the new inspection sticker when I get it done. There is a metal shop down the road, but they are crazy expensive for custom work. I'm looking for something I can buy that's ready to go. :ummm:

Do they have to be visible? Stick them under the seat where the gas cap is, or under the Faux tank covering your air box...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately they do. I probably would go for hiding it somewhere but I am a Police Officer in a small town where I live. Everyone knows me and god forbid I ever write someone a ticket for anything remotely close to an inspection violation. LOL. Good ideas though.

I always thought anyone who cared put down a sacrificial piece of clear that can be easily removed in the future. No funky plates hanging off and getting bent while you are cleaning.
When time to sell it is easy to peel. Thing is that the area you just peeled might be the best looking spot.

Everything im finding only has 1 bolt hole. I saw one in a parking lot that had 2 holes that lined up with bolts on either the brake caliper or front forks (cant remember which). It might have been custom made.

Here in Texas we have inspection stickers also. Every motorcycle dealer has plates in black or aluminum finish for around $5. Look at pic just below license plate.

Attachments

• Rear - R.jpg
    Rear - R.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 26
In NY the Inspection Sticker also gets put on the Left Fork (See attached picture) but the Inspection Station always removes the old one before applying the new one.
Have you tried Goo Gone or a similar product to remove the Old stickers ?

Attachments

• DSCF4687.jpg
    DSCF4687.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
Oklahoma doesnt have them either. A heat gun might help with the removal of the stickers.

In NY the Inspection Sticker also gets put on the Left Fork (See attached picture) but the Inspection Station always removes the old one before applying the new one.
Have you tried Goo Gone or a similar product to remove the Old stickers ?

Just bought a thing of Goo-Gone today. Gonna fire up the ole heat gun and give it a whirl pretty soon. Don't know what to do with the scratches some other yo-yo put it trying to take them off thought. On a good note, I did find a plate today. It was at the local Yamaha shop. It is a very nice looking plate as it is polished stainless steel.....however, it still only had one hole. Guess I'll live with it till I can get someone to make me what I have in mind for it. lol. Cost $11 bucks and some change. Thanks a million guys!!:worthy:

how big does it have to be? The British and German have to display too. Look at some of their website.

Finally found a stainless steel plate for it to go on. All this time and my (not so local) dealer thats 20 miles away had them. Can post a picture if anyone wants to see it. Let me know.

Hey Lawman having the 85 you can get antique tags and do away with inspections .. Al tho I think there's a few restrictions. I had same issues with p o before slicing stickers with a bowie knife .How far is new maket from winchester area ? I live in lovettsville va and there's a few maxxers in md. see if you want catch up and ride someday !! We need a good point man!! LOL

Hahaha! I'll be the pointman but its usually the guy in tbe back that gets pulled over. Lol. I thought about antique tags, but i plan on riding that thing almost every nice day we have and all the guys i work with see me on a daily basis...on my bike. So, probably not a good role model thing to do. New Market is about 40-45 minutes from Winchester, we will definately all have to hook up soon.

You might wanna come out for md teck day and meet some maxxers hopfully in may. Also we might do a run up to Hagerstown to twiggs motoshop I think its on thursdays like 6 to 9 pm for bike nite . Think that starts in may also . Mike (vmax2extremes) hosts the md tech day in Mt Airy Md

Id love to go up for tech day. I saw the one from last weekend and wanted to go to that one as well. Problem is, ive only had my bike for a few weeks now and dont trust it to ride 2 1/2 hours up the interstate yet. Not that i have a reason not to trust it, just hate to broke down on it somewhere. Finally got my new Metz Me880 ultra on today, so i just might make the journey in May. Keep me posted on when

Back