vmax auto clutch!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday everyone!
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping to revive it.
I;m looking at getting either a lock-up hat or a EFM autoclutch in the next couple of months (along with a new 2nd gear and star.......*sigh*), so interested in knowing if anyone has a few more miles on the EFM yet?
Snert, you still running with the unit? How has it gone over the distance?

Has anyone used one on another bike in a street environment? I've used one on an enduro (Rekluse), but on the street with a few miles may be a different thing. Doesn't have to be a Vmax, any streeter really.

A street "slider" effect would be good for me, no trying to manage clutch levers with a weakened left hand basically, but has to go the distance.

I put an EFM Auto Clutch in my wife's Project Radian. Main reasons were; 1 - she has very small hands and the clutch is a cable style, difficult for her to pull in and 2 - she is a brand new rider, so I thaught this unit woulpd help her learn to ride easier.

The unit works as advertised. It is not a drag race slipper type clutch, but it does work for what I intended it to. No need to use manual clutch to engage into first, or any other gear and impossible to stall the bike on take off, etc...

The clutch is the opposite than the standard set up, the clutch is dis-engaged when the bike is idling, etc... (below the engagement point in rpms) therefore the clutch cable is slack and as the revs increase, the clutch gets pulls away from the handlebar.

It does take a little getting used to though. When switching gear up while accelarating, you need only to let off the gas one tength that you would normally to shift, if you let off the throttle completely, the bike decellerates and the clutch pulls harder and you cannot shift. To decelerate, a quick blip of the throttle and switch gear down, easy as that.

You can still use the clutch lever if you want to, but again a little differently than a standard clutch.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Yep, that's what I thought, thanks man.
I know it's not a slider, but if I can launch with say 2000-3000rpm at the throttle hit, it will pull smoothly with the grunt thru the 60 without turning the tyre. A lock-up might be quicker, but not as consistent. As a bonus, around town it sounds pretty cool.
Anyway, if I wanted to go faster I would have got a ZX12!

Back