vmax auto clutch!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about as good right now as it's ever gonna get I reckon..

Remember it spent almost a year at $2 = ?1, and now we're down to only $1.5 = ?1 (!)

EFM the makers are in USA so price is in Dollars, I'm in UK so actually the $2=?1 rate in the past would have benefitted me..... Currently it would cost me about ?410 whereas when 1 first looking at it back in September ity would have been about ?320 or so.

Aaah soz I didn't realise you were on the other side of the pond! I know wot u mean - I suffer from the same problem as I still work in the UK on occasion but live over here now..

Hi Guys, just logged on for the first time:ummm: I have the auto clutch fitted to my max :punk: and it is a great improvement to my Barnett clutch. the reason i went for the auto clutch is that i could never find neutral with the Barnett clutch so had to ALWAYS keep the gear lever pulled in and in heavy traffic was getting to be a bit of a strain for my old hands but now it's a breeze. you do still get engine breaking and remember you can still override it with the leaver so you have the best of both worlds. It was easy to fit (believe me I'm no mechanic) but you do have to get the clutch basket machined/drilled & tapped to fit the auto clutch cost me ?60 but the company will do that for you if you send them your basket at a extra cost.
definitely one of the best mods I've done on my max.

oh by the way I've fitted three of these to max's over this side of the pond.

Hi Guys, just logged on for the first time:ummm: I have the auto clutch fitted to my max :punk: and it is a great improvement to my Barnett clutch. the reason i went for the auto clutch is that i could never find neutral with the Barnett clutch so had to ALWAYS keep the gear lever pulled in and in heavy traffic was getting to be a bit of a strain for my old hands but now it's a breeze. you do still get engine breaking and remember you can still override it with the leaver so you have the best of both worlds. It was easy to fit (believe me I'm no mechanic) but you do have to get the clutch basket machined/drilled & tapped to fit the auto clutch cost me ?60 but the company will do that for you if you send them your basket at a extra cost.

Cool! What brand are you using? Any of you guys hit the dragstrip with the auto clutch? Can ya launch hard with it? How many mi have ya put on them?

Cool! What brand are you using? Any of you guys hit the dragstrip with the auto clutch? Can ya launch hard with it? How many mi have ya put on them?
I was one of the first ones to take this route at the dragstrip back in 1991. MTC came out with one for the GSXR engines, of course when you have something new at the track and working the bugs out you get shit and your also out of the winner circle for a few weeks once you get it tuned in. After a few weeks and getting it dialed in,, back in the winner circle well after the season was over and returning to the track in 92 well what do you know the ones talking negative about the slider clutch had them in there GSXR's and KZ's engines. LOL!
You also get a longer tire life with an auto clutch at the track. better tractions means less of a burn out.

I ran an auto clutch for 4 yrs also known as a slider clutch around the dragstrip..
YES you can launch hard and smooth no drivetrain shock.. They are adjustable so you can launch smooth at 3400 rpms or you can launch at 8500 rpms..
The best thing with a slider clutch is no drivetrain shock as you have with a clutch. Which means you can cut your 60ft times down to no tire shock and we all know with tire shock its the cause of breaking the tire loose which goes into an up in smoke launch.
I miss running an auto clutch and seriously would like to have one in my VMAX.
a slider clutch is like comparing
Dial up internet access to high speed DSL once you go to DSL you wont ever want to use dial up.

I've rode dirtbikes and atv's with the reKluse. They are quite a bit of fun once you get used to not having to pull the clutch.

I was one of the first ones to take this route at the dragstrip back in 1991. MTC came out with one for the GSXR engines, of course when you have something new at the track and working the bugs out you get shit and your also out of the winner circle for a few weeks once you get it tuned in. After a few weeks and getting it dialed in,, back in the winner circle well after the season was over and returning to the track in 92 well what do you know the ones talking negative about the slider clutch had them in there GSXR's and KZ's engines. LOL!
You also get a longer tire life with an auto clutch at the track. better tractions means less of a burn out.

I ran an auto clutch for 4 yrs also known as a slider clutch around the dragstrip..
YES you can launch hard and smooth no drivetrain shock.. They are adjustable so you can launch smooth at 3400 rpms or you can launch at 8500 rpms..
The best thing with a slider clutch is no drivetrain shock as you have with a clutch. Which means you can cut your 60ft times down to no tire shock and we all know with tire shock its the cause of breaking the tire loose which goes into an up in smoke launch.
I miss running an auto clutch and seriously would like to have one in my VMAX.
a slider clutch is like comparing
Dial up internet access to high speed DSL once you go to DSL you wont ever want to use dial up.

Lankee,

Though simmilar, i "believe" the auto clutch is different than a true slider. Sliders are the ultimate at the track but ya gotta tow them suckers back or burn the clutchs up. Or ya gotta pin/let off/pin/let off/pin the throttle to get back. Sliders engauge at a specific rpm(where ever you have it set to), but the auto clutch varries the enguagement based on load somehow. At least thats what i gathered by watching the video. You get a slider setup for dragstrip launches and it aint gonna move just off idle. The auto clutch will...i believe? It also "stalls up" and allows a harder launch(more rpm) when needed, at least i "think" that it does?

Lankee,

Though simmilar, i "believe" the auto clutch is different than a true slider. Sliders are the ultimate at the track but ya gotta tow them suckers back or burn the clutchs up. Or ya gotta pin/let off/pin/let off/pin the throttle to get back. Sliders engauge at a specific rpm(where ever you have it set to), but the auto clutch varries the enguagement based on load somehow. At least thats what i gathered by watching the video. You get a slider setup for dragstrip launches and it aint gonna move just off idle. The auto clutch will...i believe? It also "stalls up" and allows a harder launch(more rpm) when needed, at least i "think" that it does?

No you are incorrect you can sit at an idle with an auto clutch, have you seen the video on the website for the company making them?
They work the same way as a slider, but rather then arms pressing the clutch plates it uses a ball bearing style ramp effect with a plate, same effect centrifical force to engage the clutch.. I am just not sure how easy they are to adjust..

The stall speed is set real low with the auto for street purposes I would guess it starts to engage at 1200-1400 rpms much lower then a drgabike with a slider clutch,, if it is adjustable then ride to the track and set it for a higher stall..
You can ride a slider bike back on the return as you stated I had to do it a couple of times when my partner wasnt able to make a race.. as you said Whack the Gas and coast Whack the gas and coast....

I miss my old MRE lockup on my XS, I installed it back in '89. Talk about an improvement, once I got it dialed in there was 5 more mph on the big end.

Never had a problem with it at all. I don't see anything but the aformentioned "best of both worlds" with this setup.

No you are incorrect you can sit at an idle with an auto clutch, have you seen the video on the website for the company making them?
They work the same way as a slider, but rather then arms pressing the clutch plates it uses a ball bearing style ramp effect with a plate, same effect centrifical force to engage the clutch.. I am just not sure how easy they are to adjust..

The stall speed is set real low with the auto for street purposes I would guess it starts to engage at 1200-1400 rpms much lower then a drgabike with a slider clutch,, if it is adjustable then ride to the track and set it for a higher stall..
You can ride a slider bike back on the return as you stated I had to do it a couple of times when my partner wasnt able to make a race.. as you said Whack the Gas and coast Whack the gas and coast....

I know the auto clutch will allow you to sit at idle. He got the bike to moving just off idle AND also had the bike stalled up higher and left. I did'nt get from the video that anything had changed. Dunno how that would be accomplished though.

I fitted the EFM auto clutch I've done 1500 miles so far with no problems.
I'm to old for the drag strip (not that we have many over here) but it does take whatever power you give it with no stall/slip it took me two days to get used to it you just cut the throttle a fraction when changing up & just blip the throttle changing down if you don't change quick enough and you let the rev's drop below 1500/1600 it will disengage then you just have to give more rev's and your back on line. If you want to sit at the lights revving the engine it's like any-other bike you can put it in neutral or hold the leaver in, for me it's a no brain-er as you have the best of both worlds an auto clutch that you can override.

I fitted the EFM auto clutch I've done 1500 miles so far with no problems.
I'm to old for the drag strip (not that we have many over here) but it does take whatever power you give it with no stall/slip it took me two days to get used to it you just cut the throttle a fraction when changing up & just blip the throttle changing down if you don't change quick enough and you let the rev's drop below 1500/1600 it will disengage then you just have to give more rev's and your back on line. If you want to sit at the lights revving the engine it's like any-other bike you can put it in neutral or hold the leaver in, for me it's a no brain-er as you have the best of both worlds an auto clutch that you can override.

I have 2 questions about this manufacture.

1) Is it adjustable, if so how much can you increase the stall.
2) How difficult is it if it is adjustable.

I would think around 2800-3400 would be a good stall speed for a VMAX at the dragstrip with no bars.
Its hard to 2 step anything below 3200.

It was easy to fit (believe me I'm no mechanic) but you do have to get the clutch basket machined/drilled & tapped to fit the auto clutch cost me ?60 but the company will do that for you if you send them your basket at a extra cost.

Hi Snert By clutch basket you mean what Yamaha call the "Primary Driven Gear Component", number 1 on their parts diagram (on their USA WWW site)? Did any other parts need to be modified as well? Also what stock parts did the autoclutch itself replace? (pressure plate? spring?). I think I have a spare clutch basket somewhere so I guess I could get it modified and keep the original one in case I ever decide to switch back to stock.

I sent Gary at EFM an email asking if he would join our site since a few of us have questions about EFM products. Hopefully he will join and be active towards this thread.
MTC will also modify a VMAX clutch to make it an auto so we can compare prices. MTC has a solid track record in there customer service and high qaulity of precise work they perform.

Well here is the following what I got back from EFM..

Email sent.

Hi Gary

I am a regular member on the VMAXFORUM.NET and we have a few people interested in your product. Its free to register and I am sure the members would be glad to have you answer some of there questions.

I am trying to make a decision between your product and MTC modifying my VMAX clutch.

My questions are..

1) Does the auto clutch have an adjustable stall for weekend drag race use?
2) If is adjustable how difficult is it to adjust at the track with basic tools?
3) What is the cost if one was to send in a clutch basket and cap to have it modified?

Thanks
Donn

Email recieved from Gary at EFM

Don:

I don't know anything about that other type of clutch, but you can adjust the engagement of ours, but the best way is to put a flow control in the master cylinder, have the clutch hook up just off idle, then when you are at the track, turn the flow control, to restrict the flow back into the master cylinder, this will give you a exact controlled slip as far as you want. We done these before for Harleys an other applications for racing..

650.00 for everything you need to convert you clutch. You need to drill some holes in the top of the basket and machine down the hub a little. All the instructions are in the kit along with tap an screws needed, if you send me your assembly, it 695.00 for us to set it up.

Ok first off Gary doesnt seem very observant.. notice my name signed Donn and how he addressed me in an email Don? Not very good at detail so far..
Anyways he didnt answer my questions.. I have a flow control already Gary.. Geeeze.. So its not adjustable so just say that WTF?? A flow control doesnt work as a slider does.. A slider works with the RPMS on the launch... A flow control is for either a delay box use or one that has a handicap with there hand..
So and also 650 with my parts you want to charge for labor?? Geeeze a lil proud what do you guys think hmm how long does it take?? I will email a contact I know that works for MTC and get a price... Never heard of MTC?? Geeze not impressed with EFM.

We shall see what MTC can do for us wanting an auto clutch.. I hope they can pull through the VMAX would be awesome with a slider clutch..

:eusa_dance:

Hi Kevin
Since the auto clutch has becoming more intrest in the VMAX world there are questions and threads started in the VMAXFORUM
One company so far has come up with an auto clutch for the VMAX, I emailed them asking questions and was not impressed with the response I recieved. I have used an MTC slider clutch back in the early 90's dragracing my pro gas GSXR in the IDBA circuit. I have always been very satisifed with MTC's products and customer service. I was wanting to know if you make a slider / auto clutch for the VMAX. I am currently in the process of building a bracket VMAX bike for the 09 season. I would like to have an MTC slider clutch for it. Is this available yet? If I would send a basket and cap to you can you modify it for a slider clutch? If so do you have a price so I could pass onto the others that have interest in this.
Thank you,
Donn

Has anyone bought one of these yet??

If this guy would work with me on a decent price I would buy one and spread the word if it was any good..

ANY BUYERS OF THIS EMF CLUTCH YET :confused2:

Back