Vmax pos nearly makes me DOA

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Had this problem a couple of months back cleaned starter button
and switches on right hand controls and thought problem was gone.
I was in the right lane today when the 4 x 4 on the left decided to
come into my lane. The driver turned on his signal but would not
come over waiting for me to accelerate. Well I was only to happy
to oblige, As I romped on it I was about a bike ahead of him. He pulled
over ending up on my ass as usual when the freaking bike lost all
power. I mean the POS went totally dead just like I had turned the
switch off. :bang head:The result was my ass puckered so hard I almost pulled the
cover off my saddle as I watched the headlights of the truck grow in my mirror. Luckily a gas station offered a way out and I was able to
swerve out of the trucks way . After I coasted to a stop
I tried to start it nothing, turned main switch on and off, started
put it in gear and died. Cycled main switch on and off and it finally
started and made it home. Has anyone had this happen ? Does it
sound like the main switch ? I can't have this happen again I might
not be so lucky next time. Anyhelp would be appreciated, I got
go, gotta change the underoos.
Chris

I would check your side kickstand switch - I had it happen once, I was accelerating on the highway and the bike cut out - checked the bike on the side off the road and found that it was the side stand - took the switch off wired the two wires from harness together and never had that problem again.

Mike

Sounds like its only doing it under hard accleration... I would doubt this would effect the main switch, in order to nail this problem down to either kill switch or the kickstand switch... Next time it happens dont mess with the on and off, put the bike in netreul and try and start it with the kickstand down.
I would bet its the kickstand safety switch.... but i could be wrong and it may be the kill switch...
A problem like this can be hard to trace down until its a regular problem, but in ths case it sounds dangerous,,, BE VERY CAREFUL crossing intersections.. I almost would buy a brand new kill switch what could it cost:confused2: under 100.00 compared to an emerncy room visit and a wrecked bike...
As far as eliminating the kickstand safety switch thats up to you and how much common sense you have, if you feel you WONT ever take off with the kickstand down forgetting to kick it up thats fine but if you dont put your kicksatand up, you may be the next jackass on youtube dumping his bike due to a kickstand hop

Think I'll rig up a jumper wire that I can use on the side
of the road to check kick stand switch if needed. It's done
it when just cruising not under hard acceleration also. It
did seem to cut out earlier in the day though and it did cut
out right before it croaked. You guys have alot more experience
so I'm going to find a kickstand switch I think. Their is also a guy
selling a used control assembly on fleabay I might pick that
up to.
Thanks guys, shorts are clean
and filling fine !
Just knocked back a pint of Fosters,:eusa_dance:

Sounds great,, just becareful until you know the problem has been resolved.
Start the bike up and tap on the kill switch, and the kickstand switch... Of course tap the kill switch with something that wont scratch the casing/

This should be able to help you track down where the problem is... TAP TAP TAP until it dies..

Also jiggle the wires pretty strongly but not to the point of breaking the wires

Sounds great,, just becareful until you know the problem has been resolved.
Start the bike up and tap on the kill switch, and the kickstand switch... Of course tap the kill switch with something that wont scratch the casing/

This should be able to help you track down where the problem is... TAP TAP TAP until it dies..

Also jiggle the wires pretty strongly but not to the point of breaking the wires

Thanks Lankee,
I'll give her a try.

Okay, so it did it again right before I was ready to
bypass the kickstand switch. But now that I think
about it both times it croaked it restarted when I put
it in nuetral. Then while it was running I put it in 1st
and it died. Then it started a few seconds later. I have
bypassed the kickstand switch for now but I'm curious,
is there a neutral saftey switch on these bikes ? I know
on cars if the switch fails you will get nothing when trying
to start. Never seen one kill a running car though.
Just thinking
Thanks

With the bike cutting off when put into gear tells me your neutral switch is working correctly. Your ignition "thinks" your side stand is down. Either your sidestand switch is sticking or your side stand relay is bad. Remove the switch and clean. Next, test your relay. It's mounted to the front of the bracket holding ignitor unit near your front coils. With sidestand up and bike in gear you should read low voltage and blue/yellow pin. If it reads 12 volts ignition is cutoff.

With the bike cutting off when put into gear tells me your neutral switch is working correctly. Your ignition "thinks" your side stand is down. Either your sidestand switch is sticking or your side stand relay is bad. Remove the switch and clean. Next, test your relay. It's mounted to the front of the bracket holding ignitor unit near your front coils. With sidestand up and bike in gear you should read low voltage and blue/yellow pin. If it reads 12 volts ignition is cutoff.

Thanks,
I pulled the plug apart at the plug tucked behind the left side cover.
The plug had some corrosion that I cleaned out. I just fashioned a small
jumper to bypass the switch and tucked it up near the battery.
We'll see if that fixes it. Thanks for the input, snow flying today so
I'll check it out using your info later this week.
Thanks again I'd be lost without this site.
Chris

Why bypass the switch if you were able to take it apart and clean it? Didn't you test it to see if it's functioning properly? I've had the motor cut out a few times when I put the bike in gear, and each time it was 'cos I'd had a blonde moment and left the side stand down. Boy, I was glad for that safety switch...

Didn't get the post on how to test before I set up the
bypass for switch. Not sure that cleaning the connector was
the problem, it could still be the relay. I'll make a point of checking
the stand in the meanwhile until I can find out for sure what the
problem is. I have no garage and snow has been flying today
so I'll have to wait till my next day off to do any testing.
Chris

Back