vmax tail light??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
hey folks, I'm not sure if it's just me ...but there's a few things about my 06 vmax I find ....how shall I say " Not that attractive " I'm trying to make some small improvements. Here is what I changed so far:

Handlebar -> went with the Black Drag bars
Signal lights -> bought a set of small " mini " ones

the question is the whole rear tail light assembly....Im really not sure how to tackle that one..lol

I was looking at this...and considered removing the entire tail light assembly and just leaving the fender itself in tact.
http://www.customdynamics.com/yamaha_vmax_led_taillight.htm

Then I seen a nice looking setup at Monstermax..( kinda expensive )

Any Ideas or direction I should go with this, I just really cant decide...

P.S I'd like to buy a set of those Exhaust tips on Ebay..but 299.99 seems kinda pricy..not sure if there's a simular option out there or not for a little better price.??

Jim Horrocks or Eddie Ball had a cool led tail light that replaced the stock stuff in the same location that I like also .

It was somewhat involved but I took my rear tailight, Cut the lens down flat on the back and as short as I could get it and also used a bandsaw to cut the portion that holds the bulbs as short as I could get it also. I then made a new backing plate for it out of aluminum and used some small pieces of aluminum angle to mount it below the grab bar. I used LED 1156's instead of the incandescent ones.

Another option which I also did was to buy an LED rear light and mount it right below the ducktail on the rear fender. Once the original light is removed the metal mud guard can be cut down to leave just enough to mount the light on. The LED I bought is as wide as the fender, flat on the bottom, and curved/arched across the top and about 3/4" high in the middle. It's very bright.

I then mounted the licence plate vertically on a piece of aluminum angle mounted to the left bottom shock mount. The way it's installed it just clears the tailpipe and the rear ring and pinion case.

I'll post pictures later. I can't remember where I bought it but it cost me about $130

Last edited:
You can say that again.......Sorry I just had to. LOL

I agree the light is way too ( shall we say long) big. I was thinking of taking out that reflector, and replace it with a LED and use it as my brake light. Then I could take the whole brake light assy. right off. The only thing is if a passenger grabs the rail and it blocks the light. This is not cool, no matter what kind of car it is. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Go to www.motorcyclemods.com , click on vmax .They have a nice small led tail light and plate bracket kit for $75 for white and $80 for red.Its nice and tight and uses the stock location.This is what I am going to do with mine.

Attachments

• 100_2443.jpg
    100_2443.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_2442.jpg
    100_2442.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_2441.jpg
    100_2441.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I went to the extreme of removing the fender and taillight. I put on a hugger fender and the taillight I got off a seller on EBay. It looks like the one on Customs Dynamics, but I didn't pay that much for it. I want to add the mini turn signals, but I haven't found any place that will ship them to Canada!:damn angry:

Attachments

• tailight2.jpg
    tailight2.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 110
Back