Waited 29 years

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you guys that were 24 in 1985 means you were born in 1961, right? That is when I graduated from high school! Bunch of kids... :biglaugh:

Wow!!! I too was 24 in 1985 and stationed at Edwards AFB when I saw the first V-Max ads in issues of Cycle, Cycle World, and Motorcyclist magazines.

1375238_10200403793249388_979223391_n.jpg

Prior to the V-Max, I wanted to get a Yamaha Fazer....

24 years old in 1985??? Holy cow i feel like a baby.....probably cuz i was 5 years old then! I just got my '85 last year at 33 years old and im glad i got one of the originals. Kinda makes it feel...well original. Haha.

Welcome aboard mate and keep a sharp eye out for that "mod monkey". He'll sneak in, use your credit card and start adding stuff to your credit card before you know it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hell, i was 4 yrs old in 85, lol. I got my first taste of a Vmax in 04 and finally got one in 11, nothing else like it!! Especially after the mod monkey figures out your paypal and to send money to Sean, lol.

I'll chime and say that I too was NOT 24 in 1985, I was a snot nosed punk kid at the ripe age of 13. I didn't see my first vMax until 1995 while stationed in New Mexico. Once I saw the bike and read about it the next day, I have always wanted one but life got in the way until 2012 when I purchased my 01 for $500 and I have been loving and hating the bike ever since. I love to ride it but she has been finicky since she sat in Guam for so long being neglected.

Congrats! There are a few of us on here that can help you when you soon realize. That there is a mod monkey sitting on your back and his tail and back feet are digging in your wallet! Enjoy that monster and it looks like a good score.

G

I had recently sold my Honde Sabre, I was around 26 at the time, when I first ran into a Vmax sitting in front of the Post Office in town. I looked it over and couldn't get over how big the rear tire was, those scoops looked so different, I had to hear it! I waited around but I couldn't find the owner so as I walked around the corner to the restaurant I heard it start up! I ran back up the street but all I saw when I turned the corner was it riding away...damn! The Vmax for me over the years has been about glimpses and only a few times hearing it run, which added to why the bike intrigued me so much.
The final chapter to me finally getting a Vmax was a surprise of sorts. My brother had just purchased a FZ-1 so I started looking around for a bike but nothing I found would keep up with a FZ-1 or better yet beat it! A coworker said her boyfriend was selling his bike but she didn't know what it was, so I just keep looking for my Fz-1 beater. It was still early spring but she kept telling me to buy "the bike" from her boyfriend since she did not like riding it since the one/ last time she rode it she thought she was going to fall off. Late may finally she came up with some pictures which made me remember the first I saw/ heard one. I did a web search to see what they were selling for and ran across VMF which had a bunch of great information so I joined.
Well one thing or another and it was almost a month before I was able to see the bike so my anticipation level had peaked. I went over to look at the bike and my intention was to bargain him down from his $3500 asking price. We started it, he told me about some of his stories and he asked me if I wanted to take it for a ride. I just so happened to bring my helmet...I took off slowly through the neighborhood but then hit the main road so I hit throttle and I was hooked when I got "that rush". I can back and made a half hearted attempt to talk him down but I paid his price and rode it home.
After reading the other stories I just had to add my 2¢ to the list. I wish I had had purchased one in 1985 but as fate would have it I do own one now.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Welcome and congrats on your VMax! No grin like a VMax grin!

Seems like a good board here. Ive been a member of a lot of diff boards from off road bikes to old hotrods, Vettes, Road Star, still do the G8 GT board. I look forward to being around here a long time.

The bike is kinda cramped for me. I don't care though as I have waited a very long time to own one.

Thanks all

Wow!!! I too was 24 in 1985 and stationed at Edwards AFB when I saw the first V-Max ads in issues of Cycle, Cycle World, and Motorcyclist magazines.

1375238_10200403793249388_979223391_n.jpg

Prior to the V-Max, I wanted to get a Yamaha Fazer....

The advertisement ad picture you've attached here is not the ad you saw back in 1985. Just sayin'.

I bought my Max 29 years ago. Still got it. Still honeymoonin' with it. (If I can get my son to let me ride it once in a while..)

Gratz on the new ride :)
I was 18 and home on leave from the army when My best friend and I started drooling over one in the local showroom in 1985. Took me another 10 years before i scratched the itch and bought a new RED 1995 model.

Enjoy the Vmax.
Rob

New tires this afternoon. I took the wheels off and took them to a lil shop nearby. I put the washer in the wrong place on the re-install. It caused the caliper piston to get pushed back and when I got off freeway after a nice blast, I had no rear brake.

Was going to a buds house. I told him I wasn't sure where washer came from and he said that the problem was the washer needed to be outside caliper bracket then. Since that's all I did different. He was right.

The Shinkos feel fine. We shall see

Latest posts

Back