- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vmaxbuild139.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Darn it!! We paid for a track day Friday, and now it is going to be cancelled! I am half tempted to take the bike to 75-80 Dragway in Md on Saturday. I've never been there, but I really want to get this bike down the track! :bang head:

I am slowly but surely getting the bike in shape. As you undoubtedly know, it's not one particular thing that makes a bike perform it's best. It's a matter of all of the little tweaks here and there that get it "dialed in". Sometimes that can take awhile, and some trial and error. :)

On that note, one more small tweak. I adjusted the shifter for a more positive upshift. Very easy to adjust with the threaded rod on the shifter linkage.

Before:

vmaxbuild134.jpg

After:

vmaxbuild135.jpg

It's enough of a change to make a big difference in the ease of upshifts, without impacting downshifting or changing to a reverse shift pattern.

Thanks! I just did this and it really made a huge improvement! My shifting foot is partial paralyzed from a previous motorcycle accident and some bikes shift easier than others and this made a huge help on my vmax.

Thanks! I just did this and it really made a huge improvement! My shifting foot is partial paralyzed from a previous motorcycle accident and some bikes shift easier than others and this made a huge help on my vmax.

Glad it worked out for you! It is usually one of the first things that I adjust on a bike, along with the other controls. Sometimes it's the tiny things that can make a big difference!

Completely rained out everywhere, and I am sick as a dog!! Still, have some dyno experiments planned...but I need to get better first. :Sick:

Shane, another excellent account of your vision of a great motorcycle! The Max is awesome! Excellent forum too! As always the information is outstanding. I am surprised your beast doesn't hav a set of BSTs yet???! The personal touch with your father is appreciated! Thanks for sharing!

cmg

Shane, another excellent account of your vision of a great motorcycle! The Max is awesome! Excellent forum too! As always the information is outstanding. I am surprised your beast doesn't hav a set of BSTs yet???! The personal touch with your father is appreciated! Thanks for sharing!

cmg

Thanks, cmg! It really is an awesome bike, and I am having a lot of fun with it. As you mentioned, a fantastic forum! As for the BST wheels, who knows what may end up on the bike one day?

triples01.jpg

I'm just going to hold onto these for now, just in case I get bored over the winter. :biglaugh:

Very cool. Change the forks. I always heard these bikes hav a head shake or handling issue of some sort? Is this true? Steering damper avalible? Do you think a BST would exacerbate any issues? Man I hate getting on these forums! Now I want a Max! You did this to me last time I started reading your work on Land Speed Racing! Some cool stuff here in the forum. Great job everyone!

cmg

Very cool. Change the forks. I always heard these bikes hav a head shake or handling issue of some sort? Is this true? Steering damper avalible? Do you think a BST would exacerbate any issues? Man I hate getting on these forums! Now I want a Max! You did this to me last time I started reading your work on Land Speed Racing! Some cool stuff here in the forum. Great job everyone!

cmg

My particular bike seems pretty stable at high speeds. I think the V-Max is a little more sensitive to rider technique, though. Since I do the landspeed stuff, I tend to always tuck in tight, out of the wind. I think that helps stability. I also have a relaxed grip on the bars; gripping them tightly can make for instability, believe it or not.

If the chassis geometry is properly set up, I don't see any problem for a BST wheel up front. I'd probably set things up to plant a little more weight on the front wheel. I have seen steering dampers mounted, but nothing that I would call an "elegant" solution.

My particular bike seems pretty stable at high speeds. I think the V-Max is a little more sensitive to rider technique, though. Since I do the landspeed stuff, I tend to always tuck in tight, out of the wind. I think that helps stability. I also have a relaxed grip on the bars; gripping them tightly can make for instability, believe it or not.

If the chassis geometry is properly set up, I don't see any problem for a BST wheel up front. I'd probably set things up to plant a little more weight on the front wheel. I have seen steering dampers mounted, but nothing that I would call an "elegant" solution.

I'm a relatively new Vmax owner...(under 2 years) but from what I've seen and read on this forum, this is right (about the Vmax being sensitive to rider position). Unfortunately the Vmax is a cruiser, and you tend to sit more "upright". I've been told stories of people having instability at higher speeds, and the root cause of it was just having the factory sissy bar on back. That and rider position act like a giant sail catching wind.

Well I have owned two different Gen 1's. The first was a 88 and the second a 07 still in my garage. Both had back rests and have been up in triple digits easily with two up and no wobbles or stability issues. Good tires and simple maintenance of the steering head will cure most issues. Plus I now swear by progressive springs and no air in the front forks. The Gen 1 is 1985 technology that wasn't all that great back then except for stop light to stoplight really FAST!

:punk:

Well I have owned two different Gen 1's. The first was a 88 and the second a 07 still in my garage. Both had back rests and have been up in triple digits easily with two up and no wobbles or stability issues. Good tires and simple maintenance of the steering head will cure most issues. Plus I now swear by progressive springs and no air in the front forks. The Gen 1 is 1985 technology that wasn't all that great back then except for stop light to stoplight really FAST!

:punk:

Yeah, I'd say the Gen 1 is 70's technology, from a chassis standpoint!!

But, it still can be stable. You just have to ride it a little different, and make sure it is well maintained. I haven't fiddled with mine much, and it is still on the original front tire. But the tires are not cupped or anything, are properly inflated, and the rest of the chassis is in good shape.

Yeah, I'd say the Gen 1 is 70's technology, from a chassis standpoint!!

But, it still can be stable. You just have to ride it a little different, and make sure it is well maintained. I haven't fiddled with mine much, and it is still on the original front tire. But the tires are not cupped or anything, are properly inflated, and the rest of the chassis is in good shape.
Chassis could very well be late 70's or super early 80's. I don't know how long they had the Vmax playing with it before the public actually saw one.

I think I read somewhere that the engine was designed first, then the frame around it, so I would say early 80's.

I think I read somewhere that the engine was designed first, then the frame around it, so I would say early 80's.

I wasn't really thinking about what year the chassis itself was made...just the technology it displays! Dual shocks, standard telescopic forks, flimsy swingarm, tube cradle chassis, longish rake, skinny 18" front wheel....all 70's tech.

Now that I am feeling better, today I took care of a few small things on the bike.

First, I changed out the little 8-cell LiFe battery. It would start the bike fine when cold, and most of the time when hot....the same performance as the weakened stock battery. It would also drain down quickly if I had to try to start it a few times. I was surprised, but I had to go ahead and swap in a bigger battery. I had a 12 cell Ballistic sitting on the shelf, which is around 400 cranking amps or so. I just wedged it into the stock battery box, and all problems are solved! It starts quickly, even heat soaked, and even with the fan running. Weight is only 2.5 lbs. :)

vmaxbuild141.jpg

Next up, I had noticed the idle was starting to hunt. I suspected a vacuum leak, so I checked everything. Sure enough, the new manifold clamps had become very, very loose after the new manifolds went through a few heat cycles. I tightened everything up, and the idle smoothed out great.

vmaxbuild142.jpg

Next up was the crankcase vent line. I still needed to insulate it from exhaust heat, especially with the impending aftermarket exhaust. I found my roll of heat insulating sheathing. You can get it in various ratings, sizes and lengths, from McMaster Carr.

vmaxbuild143.jpg

vmaxbuild144.jpg

In fact, you can get almost anything from McMaster Carr! http://www.mcmaster.com

Just a few small things, but things that I had to put off due to being sick. I should be getting a few more things done over the next week, too. I am still waiting for a dragstrip day to materialize. If nothing comes up, I may have to take the bike to the local backwoods 1/8th mile track...

I'm learning a lot from this thread, and finding it fascinating :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hey Shane
Isn't that first pic with the battery inverted? The fuel filter usually is on the right side and the ground lead to frame also and i see no fuse box also adding to the fact that you have the battery positive on the left and ground on the right. Am i seeing it right? Its 01:30AM saturday night here so it might be me...

I just noticed that its not me its in fact inverted... I was getting worried for a bit back there... LOL

I'm learning a lot from this thread, and finding it fascinating :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I am having a great time riding this bike, and learning it's quirks, etc!! I am glad I found this forum! :)

Tonight, just on a whim, we rode over to the local cruise spot. I spotted another nice car to get a picture with, and this car matches!

vmaxbuild145.jpg

The owner and his son were really nice. He has had the car for about 15 years, and it has a modern crate motor in it. He was really intrigued by the condition of the V-Max! We ran into him on the road later, and his Mustang sounds great!! His son was driving and we even played around a bit, romping on them, from light to light. :)

Here are some of the other cool cars that I grabbed pics of:

vmaxbuild146.jpg

vmaxbuild147.jpg

vmaxbuild148.jpg

vmaxbuild149.jpg

Afterwards, we took the scenic route home. It's a beautiful night, and the bike was running pretty strong. Will this old V-Max pull to 9400 rpm indicated in 5th gear? I'm not saying it will...and I'm not saying it won't. But it will. :biglaugh:

Putting it away for the night:

vmaxbuild150.jpg

So far I've logged 834 miles in the saddle. This really is turning into an "Adventure". :)

Back