- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your bike is lookin'-good! Glad you are getting-used to it. Sounds like you just hit double-digits in tank fill-ups. Now comes the fun part, where you can wring its neck now that you are aware of its handling & power.

Those are all great cars. The '56 Bel Air is really-clean and the Rally wheels, though newer, look good on it.

I like the Barracudas, the '67 (not sure of the exact year, but I don't see side-marker lights, they had small, inconspicuous round ones starting in '68) is a clean example. I always thought it was one of the best-looking of the pony cars, it had its own style, which I considered more-Italian-looking than American, see the red Lancia pic, the '67+ Barracuda roofline looks to be a direct copy. Chrysler was used to doing that though, using a strong Italian style influence, my 'peeps of a certain age' will recall the early '60's Dodge Lancer, which was another Italian style job from Mopar. The similar Plymouth Valiant was also Italian-influenced. I like the wagons too, they look just-shy of bizarre, w/a rear deck strongly-resembling a mid-'50's Chevy Nomad, but w/a more-ungainly-looking but practical, station wagon 'greenhouse' of glass. The Lancer's fins & lights were horizontally-oriented, while the Nomad's were vertically-oriented. I also liked the two and four-door sedans w/the embossed rear trunk lid "spare tire." The first Valiant aped the Italian cars like the Lancias, w/their thin roof pillars, and clean compound curves to the front and rear, w/the designs carrying a side-strake from either end above the wheelwells, but ending at the door panels. I think they pay-tribute to the Borgward Isabellas too w/the way they taper at the rear and the thin roof pillars.
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Your bike is lookin'-good! Glad you are getting-used to it. Sounds like you just hit double-digits in tank fill-ups. Now comes the fun part, where you can wring its neck now that you are aware of its handling & power.

Those are all great cars. The '56 Bel Air is really-clean and the Rally wheels, though newer, look good on it.

I like the Barracudas, the '67 (not sure of the exact year, but I don't see side-marker lights, they had small, inconspicuous round ones starting in '68) is a clean example. I always thought it was one of the best-looking of the pony cars, it had its own style, which I considered more-Italian-looking than American, see the red Lancia pic, the '67+ Barracuda roofline looks to be a direct copy. Chrysler was used to doing that though, using a strong Italian style influence, my 'peeps of a certain age' will recall the early '60's Dodge Lancer, which was another Italian style job from Mopar. The similar Plymouth Valiant was also Italian-influenced. I like the wagons too, they look just-shy of bizarre, w/a rear deck strongly-resembling a mid-'50's Chevy Nomad, but w/a more-ungainly-looking but practical, station wagon 'greenhouse' of glass. The Lancer's fins & lights were horizontally-oriented, while the Nomad's were vertically-oriented. I also liked the two and four-door sedans w/the embossed rear trunk lid "spare tire." The first Valiant aped the Italian cars like the Lancias, w/their thin roof pillars, and clean compound curves to the front and rear, w/the designs carrying a side-strake from either end above the wheelwells, but ending at the door panels. I think they pay-tribute to the Borgward Isabellas too w/the way they taper at the rear and the thin roof pillars.
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

So, you're saying, you may be an auto enthusiast? :biglaugh:

HA! The old V-Max still has some tricks up it's sleeve...

It just played a trick on me, called, "SURPRISE!! MY NEW BATTERY IS DEAD, AND YOU GET TO BUMPSTART ME IN A RESTAURANT PARKING LOT." What a card, lol!!

This is the same characteristic that the other batteries displayed after a day or two of riding. I was sure that I had the battery/hot start issue solved. I will have to do a full health check on the charging/starting system now. The crazy thing is, it started fine like 10 or more times yesterday, even when the motor was hot and the fan running. It started quickly this morning. It idles fine. But when I got to the restaurant and tried to restart it, the battery was so weak that it didn't even make a click, and the cooling fan was running slowly. It's not a big deal....just one more part of this "adventure". I will get it squared away and having it working as good as, or better than new! In the meantime, I can recharge the Ballistic battery within 10 minutes, so that will buy me some time. :biglaugh:

Time to do some reading. :)

Any thing new on the exhaust ? Interested in seeing if there will be any real gains over stock besides weight savings. What about jetting? Does anyone even know how to "jet" a motorcycle anymore???:ummm: you going to log the A/F? Does the Max respond to a pipe or is it a waste of money?

cmg

Any thing new on the exhaust ? Interested in seeing if there will be any real gains over stock besides weight savings. What about jetting? Does anyone even know how to "jet" a motorcycle anymore???:ummm: you going to log the A/F? Does the Max respond to a pipe or is it a waste of money?

cmg

I will be switching to a new 4/2/1 exhaust very soon. I am not sure how much power gain I will see, but I do expect to lose 25 or more lbs from the bike. From what I have read online, I can expect around 5 hp or so, without extreme changes to the intake side? I have been reading up on jetting, and I am not adverse to tuning the bike with one of my data loggers.

I like to use a methodical approach to extract hp. Right now my best dyno pull is 112.59 STD hp. That is with new plugs and the intake "Y" removed. I think I am going to get quite a bit more out of the bike when all is said and done. We will see. :)

Is there any future consideration to increase the throttle bores a few mmeters?
When I was working with the sabotaged MX3 exhaust systems of the 80s we saw big gains with "maxi bore" carburetors. We even added a extra fuel circuit. Maybe the cats that are doing our throttle bodies on the LSR stuff can do a set for you. Disassemble and have them cut some throttle blades out of some nice material.

cmg

Is there any future consideration to increase the throttle bores a few mmeters?
When I was working with the sabotaged MX3 exhaust systems of the 80s we saw big gains with "maxi bore" carburetors. We even added a extra fuel circuit. Maybe the cats that are doing our throttle bodies on the LSR stuff can do a set for you. Disassemble and have them cut some throttle blades out of some nice material.

cmg

I know a guy in Canada who does my TB's. But I think there are some challenges with the shape of the bores in the V-Max carbs. I will look at them more, as the project moves along. I have some ideas, maybe I will be able to do something over the winter. :)

I should be getting back to the V-Max this coming week. I have some parts on order, and I am trying to schedule more dyno time.

In the meantime, I spent my weekend getting my 1534cc Kawasaki race motor running. It is 15.8:1 compression, and uses a 24v starting system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ThG5-VFJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEpwZosytE

More details here:

http://zx1441r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=813

It was a very busy weekend! This engine should be pretty stout, and similar setups have made around 250 rwhp on the motor alone. :)

But, all things are relative. I will be very excited to put a new exhaust on the V-Max, and I am still anxious to get it to the dragstrip!!

Woohoo!!! My new exhaust is here!!!

vmaxbuild152.jpg

I had done some research and I really liked the look of the Hindle product for the Gen1, and I knew it would be very well made. Plus, I have simply had great performance from their exhaust systems over the years.

I contacted Brock's Performance since I am a huge fan of their customer support, and they carry the Hindle line. I was able to order a brand new stainless Hindle system for my 1989 bike. :punk:

https://www.brocksperformance.com/8507-VMAX+C355.aspx

There are quite a few mufflers to choose from. I almost went with a polished muffler, but I really like the understated looks of this one.

Understated, you know, like my impending purple paint job! :rofl_200:

The quality is typical Hindle; very nice. I like their new muffler design as well. While the V-Max is a classic, this muffler is pretty modern and slick!

vmaxbuild153.jpg

I also took some time to weigh all of the components.

vmaxbuild154.jpg

11.5 lbs, tip to tail, including all springs, spigots, and fasteners! Including ditching the centerstand, I am expecting at least 30 lbs of weight loss. This is based on weighing most of a stock system already. I will post all of the full comparison details once I remove the full oem setup. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am super-psyched to install this exhaust! I know that these bikes sound great with a pipe, and the weight loss is going to be fantastic. I will be detailing a lot more about this exhaust, including my install, sound bites (and maybe some GoPro footage?), and finally, dyno tuning and testing. Did I mention I was excited? :biglaugh:

I also ordered these exhaust gaskets from Dennis Kirk:

vmaxbuild155.jpg

https://www.denniskirk.com/vesrah/exhaust-pipe-gasket.p261072.prd/261072.sku

I guess they are aluminum? I haven't used any like these before. I am a little concerned that they will crush so much as to impede the exhaust flow. My other bikes use copper crush washers that are much thinner. I guess I will look at the oem ones when I remove the stock exhaust. If it looks like an issue, I will find some Yamaha parts. :)

I'm getting excited too! Seriously .... I've really been enjoying following your thread......keep up the good work!

I also had a Hindle (re-branded Sudco) on one of my Gen 1's. It sounded and performed great.

I now have a 4-2 Hindle on my Gen 2.

Mark

DSCN4462.jpg

I'm getting excited too! Seriously .... I've really been enjoying following your thread......keep up the good work!

I also had a Hindle (re-branded Sudco) on one of my Gen 1's. It sounded and performed great.

I now have a 4-2 Hindle on my Gen 2.

Mark

Thanks! That exhaust looks awesome!!

vmaxbuild156.jpg

I swear, a Gen 2 is in my future!! :biglaugh:

When I went to my UFO 4/1, I did the same thing, I weighed all I removed, and I think it was about 26 lbs. difference.

Those gaskets you have are the same type as the Hyabusa gaskets I just bought to work on a project, adapting Hyabusa twin canisters to a VMax.

Whew, long day! I decided to finish it off by removing the stock exhaust from the Yamaha.

First, we can start with the finished product. :)

vmaxbuild162.jpg

Now it's awaiting that shiny new Hindle!

Here is all that I removed:

vmaxbuild161.jpg

Darn, Yamaha!! A few more heat shields and fasteners, and I would have kept the stock exhaust! Here is how the weight breaks down:

vmaxbuild157.jpg

vmaxbuild158.jpg

vmaxbuild159.jpg

vmaxbuild160.jpg

All said and done, 44.9 lbs for the stock exhaust and centerstand. With the Hindle weighing in at just 11.5 lbs, that is a 33.4 lb weight savings!! I can't wait to make this swap!!! :biglaugh:

Did you buy the optional silencer? I like that exhaust it just went to the top of my list except I want the high version. looks good man I can't wait to see the installed pics.

Latest posts

Back