- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I had an early appointment set up for the dyno. I was very anxious to see if my Hindle exhaust was going to make any more power than the stock exhaust, without tuning changes. Well, the short answer is, YES!!

vmaxbuild164.jpg

It is stronger everywhere, but look at that gain at 9100 rpm...+9 hp. You can feel it! I was pretty confident that it would show some power up top, but I didn't want to guess an amount, since "seat of the pants" power gains are sometimes misleading. Combined with the 33.4 lbs of weight loss from the new setup, I'm basically thrilled! With some intake tuning, I am confident that I can extract even more power out of it. I see an 02 sensor and data logger going on the bike before too long; there is hp and torque still to be had...and I have a spare set of carbs. I am going to continue my methodical approach, and document these gains. The bike is strong and fun to ride, as-is! :coolgleamA:

This is a really good thread. I love watching your progress and transformation of your bike.

Thanks, this thread is really fun for me. Pretty neat to have this bike back on the road, and racking up the miles! Next on my "mechanical maintenance" agenda will be addressing my charging system issues, and a small brake system overhaul (pads and lines). I'd also like to fit in my 1985 wheel swap, and new tires while I'm at it.

When I finally get the paint work done, I think it will really transform the bike!

Another pic of the bike, in its current state:

vmaxbuild166.jpg

You can see how tight the exhaust hugs to the bike. And a small stationary vid, from the rider's perch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlMa-nTavI

You can see the Cycle One-off oil pressure gauge mounts up nicely, and the exhaust sounds ready to cruise (or go wot, :)). Also a little intake noise from removing the "Y" from the airbox. These bikes have personality! :biglaugh:

When I finally get the paint work done, I think it will really transform the bike!

The year you have is one of the best looking of the Maxes. The only year of the blacked chrome scoops if I remember correctly. It is one that I would keep stock. For a change, get a used set of bodywork and paint however you want. That way you can swap out for a change of pace. At one time I had a stock 97 silver set, a stock 94 yellow set, a chrome set and my custom painted set. Eventually sold all but my custom paint set for financial reasons. Wish I could have kept the 94 yellow set though.

The year you have is one of the best looking of the Maxes. The only year of the blacked chrome scoops if I remember correctly. It is one that I would keep stock. For a change, get a used set of bodywork and paint however you want. That way you can swap out for a change of pace. At one time I had a stock 97 silver set, a stock 94 yellow set, a chrome set and my custom painted set. Eventually sold all but my custom paint set for financial reasons. Wish I could have kept the 94 yellow set though.

Agreed. I am wrapping up the stock stuff, and will have this stuff painted:

vmaxbuild168.jpg

I have everything I need, it is a matter of time and money now to get it painted. I keep pushing the painting off, and working on the mechanical stuff...since the bike looks decent already. It's not that I don't like what is on there; I just want the bike to look a little closer to my dad's 1985! :)

Addictive sound W12. Can't get enough of that beautiful bean footage I mean Vmax footage. Don't know if I ever saw a rear view image but it gives a good idea how fast you dust traffic.

vmaxbuild169.jpg

Will you be adding a Stage 7 and the K&N 4 individuals ? That is the next step to my 96. Would love to see the Dyno results after that.

Will you be adding a Stage 7 and the K&N 4 individuals ? That is the next step to my 96. Would love to see the Dyno results after that.

I have a Stage 7 setup here, on a 2nd set of carbs. I am not sure if I am going to use that, or do something with the airbox? I don't plan to get rid of the v-boost. Right now it runs ok, and so I am going to focus on a few other areas of the bike first.

I have a Stage 7 setup here, on a 2nd set of carbs. I am not sure if I am going to use that, or do something with the airbox? I don't plan to get rid of the v-boost. Right now it runs ok, and so I am going to focus on a few other areas of the bike first.
Im running my stage 7 with the Vboost . It works perfect. it is such a smooth transition that you don't notice the Vboost as much though.

Im running my stage 7 with the Vboost . It works perfect. it is such a smooth transition that you don't notice the Vboost as much though.

I stand w/Kyle. I also used a second set of carbs w/a Stage 7 full kit, except I kept the VBoost. It works fine, except the transition isn't the 'kick in the pants' feeling of the stock system. It pulls to redline and beyond if you want to press things, I suggest using a Dyna box for the rev limiter to prevent over-revving, or the Ignitech Dingy has developed, w/the rev limiter.

Every time you synch the carbs, you will be glad you have vboost. You can always unplug the VBoost connector when it cycles open on starting, if you want to run it open all the time, and then just re-attach the plug for synching.

I tried both: with VBoost operational and VBoost unplugged, with different curves for the DYNA 3000, and ended-up going-back to functional VBoost and curve #1.

Last edited:
Coming this week, Spiegler braided brake/clutch lines and EBC HH brake pads:

vmaxbuild171.jpg

The lines were a special order through Brock's. I decided on black lines with black fittings, but there are a lot of color options:

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Brake-Lines+C12.aspx

It has been awhile since I updated the thread. I had planned to do these lines about 2 weeks ago, but our friend Bill Warner was killed in an accident, and that made me take a couple of weeks away from bike stuff. Many of you probably know about Bill and his Land Speed Racing exploits. We met Bill at his 2nd LSR event. Just a great guy, and it's very sad to lose him.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I'll be back on this project this week. :)

Darn!!! I just got rid of my stator connector, and I ran the hot from the rectifier to the battery, as I read in RaWarriors excellent thread. It still doesn't charge at all! Fresh battery charge, 13v at idle...12.95 @3k rpm.

I guess maybe it needs a new rectifier? Maybe it just decayed internally from age? All of that wiring and stuff was like new....bike has less than 4k miles.

Darn!!! I just got rid of my stator connector, and I ran the hot from the rectifier to the battery, as I read in RaWarriors excellent thread. It still doesn't charge at all! Fresh battery charge, 13v at idle...12.95 @3k rpm.

I guess maybe it needs a new rectifier? Maybe it just decayed internally from age? All of that wiring and stuff was like new....bike has less than 4k miles.

In Ra's sticky, if the stator legs are churning out 50 V, then you probably do need a regulator/rectifier. Get the MOSFET upgrade. Runs cooler, & is more-reliable.

Yep the old style RR's were trash. The new style Electrosport are $ 72 bucks thru me. I know you order a lot thru brocks I am sure he can get them around the same price.

Yep the old style RR's were trash. The new style Electrosport are $ 72 bucks thru me. I know you order a lot thru brocks I am sure he can get them around the same price.

I'll let you know, Kyle!! I also probably have a spare zx-14 one here too!!

Back