Water Pump Mechanical Seal?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
This thing is being an absolute BITCH coming out.

Any suggestions.
It is already destroyed.
The bearing is out and the seal underneath is out. Just cant get the housing out. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Don't know the best way to tell you to get it out. They aren't the easiest thing though.

@Raging Man - so how did you finally get the water seal/mechanical seal housing out? Mine is destroyed, too, but has yet to come out.
I was thinking of baking it. I got no more plays left. Maybe through heat expansion something will give. Or the sealant that's keeping it attached might melt. Anyone got a recommended temp or other advice? (I don't have a torch to heat and try it that way.)
I haven't been riding in over 5 months now! I am so close...yet feel so far.

Water pump - mechanical seal housing - how to remove the stuck focker?

Self-Update: the oven method worked for me! How to officially remove a waterpump mechanical seal: Tools: chisel (small), hammer (big), convection oven (hot).
I warmed up the waterpump cast steel with the mechanical seal housing still in it for about 10 minutes at 200 Celcius. Apply good whack with above tools from oil side and presto! That sucker finally popped out. Tips: try only a limited number of "love taps" to see if the housing will come put peacefully before heating; otherwise the housing gets destroyed and there are less places to tap it out with later.
http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/th3_mo3bius/?action=view&current=mechanicalsealhousing.jpg

Last edited:
ah! i knew there had to be an easier way:confused2:
however, i did use a socket to seat the new mechanical seal, as it did not want to slide in gently. well thanks for getting back to me and posting the easy way for all to see! cheers!

Back