What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it at-all grainy? It could be some of the calcification build-up from never changing the coolant. You did your bike a favor by doing the flush. I have pics on another computer of grainy material I scooped out of an engine when I removed the heads to lap-in the valves and to change the cyl head gaskets. It almost looked like clumped-together salt crystals.
Yes, you can see the build-up here

View attachment IMG_9228.MOV

IMG_9227.jpg

Last edited:
I bet if you strain some of that out, and let it dry, it will look very similar to the stuff I had in the cooling jacket.

I knocked mine over in the garage a while back and put a few nice gouges in the faux cover. I am working on fixing it while working on another one. I Started sanding on my Bultaco tank and wound up with a big hole. I have it all fixed now.

Attachments

• 20230629_111628.jpg
    20230629_111628.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_115407.jpg
    20230629_115407.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_112859.jpg
    20230629_112859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230629_111647.jpg
    20230629_111647.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
It's fiberglass, yes? I've read the alcohol and gasoline combo is bad for fiberglass tanks. Might be a good idea to use non-ethanol gasoline.

Here's a good-looking Bultaco. A Metralla.

Bultaco Metralla 250cc.png

This bike has a special history in motorcycling. It was featured in Bruce Brown's motorcycling documentary, On Any Sunday. It and its rider, Fred Kolman, were in the ice-racing segment where they beat the fast French-Canadian, Yuvon Duhamel.

1688170736459.jpeg

Yuvon's son, Miguel Duhamel was one of the great competitors. He is #4 in the number of AMA Superbike races he's won. Proof of his determination and desire to win: in 1999, at Daytona, he won the 600cc Supersport race. Then he won the Daytona 200.

While recovering from a badly-broken leg. He walked around the pits with the aid of a cane, and he had to be lifted on and off the bikes. 'Iron Man!'

Yuvon was a competitor who either won, crashed, or blew-up his ride. Now you see where Miguel got his determination to succeed on a bike. He surely did that. He also won the Daytona 200 four other times.

Next to Daytona International Raceway, towards the crowded Main Street direction, where thousands of Harley-Davidsons cruise on the sometimes warm and humid streets of Daytona Beach, there was a popular restaurant, a Mexican restaurant which was usually crowded with riders of all types: long-distance riders, their bikes bearing plates from other states, other countries. Racers and their families and friends, short track riders, enduro riders, roadracers who had dared to navigate the steep Turn One, putting them onto the banking, as they felt their weight bear-down on the suspension travel, until they got onto the infield, where the carbon-fibre Brittens ran-away from the Ducatis in the Battle of the Twins; and just tourists from all over the world, all with a love of internal-combustion between two wheels.

That Mexican restaurant, after the Daytona 200 that year, was serving a boisterous crowd of revelers, some speaking English, some speaking French, because Miguel Duhamel had won again, and he was celebrating with his family, including his father Yuvon, team members who were enjoying the tacos, burritos, and margaritas as fast as the waitresses could serve them.

Our group walked into the restaurant, tourists being tourists, and as we approached the pushed-together tables serving the Honda team, one of their group stood up and looked in our direction, it was Yuvom Duhamel. He smiled and stuck out his hand, and greeted the oldest guy in our group. They had often raced together, against one another going back decades. My friend was a Kawasaki dealer, and Yuvon and he were from the same part of North America, different countries separated by the width of Lake Ontario, Quebec and western NYS. My friend offered his congratulations to Miguel, who saw his father had left his seat to greet an old competitor, and a long-time friend. Miguel nodded his head in acknowledgment, and smiled. It was a good day for the team, and for his family.

We went to another table, and sat down, and did our best to eat everything we could, and enjoyed another trip to Daytona Beach. The weekend was soon to be Sunday, when we would head back to south Florida, and our friends would head back to New York State. Bikes brought us together. We saw the thrills of competition, the entertainment of thousands of bikes and their riders, and the warm salty ocean breezes of the Atlantic Ocean coastal road A1A. An excellent time, with great memories to compel us to make new ones, next Bike Week.

Daytona Bike Week shirt 1995-autographs.02.jpgDaytona Bike Week shirt 1995-autographs.01.jpg

More friends' Bultacos.

A Pursang.
Bultaco Dundee.jpg

El Bandito.
Bultaco El Bandito 360cc 1968.jpg

Last edited:
I just pulled-out my Bultaco shirt and admired it, like your work on the Bultaco. I had an ISDT OSSA Stiletto for awhile.
Hey, I had an OSSA Trials bike, a 250. A Montesa trials after the C.D.I. failed on the OSSA.
My brother had a Super Rat that used to eat our neighbors RM alive, didnt matter who was riding it the Hodaka always out ran the Suzuki LOL.
We also had a 450 Maico dirt bike and a CZ enduro.
I hadn't heard much of those brands then or now, we used to pick them up cheap from a cycle salvage here in Denver.
I see the Montesa is still in production though.
Tough bikes then and now.

I think the OSSA used a Motoplat ignition. They were notorious for failing, I had a riding buddy who had an OSSA Pioneer and he never had any issues with it. The suspension was like riding in a Cadillac, very comfy. It had a lot of grunt, and the expansion chamber was producing a nice 'bark.'

The Montesa VR had a strange cyl head, it was like a zig-zag finned design, not straight fins like most every other bike. The Hodakas were durable, and they were set-up for performance. The ACE 100 was one you often saw in the enduros I was riding in the early 1970's and of course their offroad-only designs were more of the same, well-designed and decent performance. Dirt Squirt, Road Toad, Super Rat, great marketing.

One of my riding buddies had a Maico 250 offroad-only, and his bike would easily accelerate away from my 360 Yamaha. Rick Seimens, (sp) of Motocross Action magazine a.k.a. 'Super-Hunky,' was a Maico 501 owner, supposed to be terror personified, those big 'uns.

The CZ's were famous for their coffin-style gas tanks, and the Jikov carbs were commonly referred to as 'Jack-off,' supposedly a Mikuni suited a lot of people better, a popular swap.

There was a European tire which used a valve stem thru the sidewall of the tire instead of thru the wheel rim, it was Barum.

Happy 4th to everyone!! I Picked mine up last week, had R1 front end put on it… rode it some today and I’m very happy with it
Now thats a SICK Machine!!
I like how you positioned that rear fender to follow the new radius location of that extended, badass, chain drive, swingarm/ wheel set-up.

Happy 4th to everyone!! I Picked mine up last week, had R1 front end put on it… rode it some today and I’m very happy with it
Okay, we're sitting around having a debate as to whether or not your Max is extended and if so how much.
Alot of serious mods as we looked closer, well done man!

Thank you, the way it is now it’s 5” over stock length. Larry at LCR did the build and it was his idea to reposition the fender to the tire. Also help from John Ganey with machine work on motor case & heads, seat from Sean Morley and some parts from Mike at SRP…

LCR, a great place for VMax mods. Here are some pics from Larry's during a visit. First is another chain-drive.

VMax LCR Performance chain-drive.jpg

Second is a row of worked-upon bikes.

VMax LCR Performance shop (1).jpg

Absolutely, Larry’s a fantastic mechanic and a good guy! That drag bike build in the pic Larry was telling me it’s been on hold for a while and the guy is looking to finish it…

Wow very nice build. Chain drive conversion has always been on my list. Who does a chain drive conversion these days? Last I herd Mad Max wasn’t doing it anymore?

Thank you… last I knew, Paul at mad max was doing them but it’s been a year or more so I can’t say for sure. I also think Sean at Morley’s Muscle dose them, and I know for sure that both Larry at Lcr Performance, John at PCW dose them.

Latest posts

Back