What did you do to your Vmax today?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I rode the max to bike week in Sandusky, Ohio. Good turnout--shoulder to shoulder people. We also went to the speedway to watch the Starboys exhibition. Beautiful weather, we had a good time! On the way home, a Harley dresser decided he would f@#k with Mr. Max......we walked away from him like he was standin still!! When he caught up to us later, he gave us a sh@tty look as he rode past. BooHoo!!

Rode it long and hard and put it away wet... (300+ miles in the rain) :(

I promise to wash and wax tomorrow...

...if I can get out of bed.

My son and I rode the max to bike week in Sandusky, Ohio. Good turnout--shoulder to shoulder people. We also went to the speedway to watch the Starboys exhibition. Beautiful weather, we had a good time! On the way home, a Harley dresser decided he would f@#k with Mr. Max......we walked away from him like he was standin still!! When he caught up to us later, he gave us a sh@tty look as he rode past. BooHoo!!
A good kick in the pants to the harley attitude is always good, especialy when it`s badly needed.<<Dave>>:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Installed my new Harlan shiftlight. Not much to it since it had been explained well here on the forum. I used a velcro strip to mount it to the speedo. Since it is all behind the OEM screen, I think this will work just fine.

A couple weeks ago, Sean and I put on black Supertrapp pipes, black wheels, and new Shinko's along with a carb re-jet...no pics yet.

I decided to make a last ditch effort to fix the charging problem.
I went down to the auto parts store and got some primary wire to re wire the whole charging system.
I used 14 ga. to wire from the stator to the "R1" regulator and, 12 ga. to wire the positive terminal from the regulator directly to the batteries positive post
and 12 ga. to wire from the negative terminal of the regulator to the frame and a 10 ga. wire from the regulator chasis to the frame also. then took the smaller red (pos.) wire from the battery cable to a good fuse holder (to use for a main fuse and ran it direct to the positive wire in the harness (got rid of all that other crap) and now I have 14.26 volts going to the battery with running lights on.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:.
That wire from lowes even though it was the right guage was so dense tha it wouldn`t allow the voltage to flow through it (all I got was static voltage)
I`ve had three years of electronics and I couldnt figure it out :ummm::ummm::bang head:
Anyway I pray to God that when I connect the L.E.D. tail lights up I still have 14 volts at the battery but, for now it looks like I wont be needing a stator after all.:biglaugh::biglaugh: so, next I`m going to re synch. the carbs and have the A/F screws adjusted and that should do it (Ihope).
The End (I hope)
<<Dave>>:punk:

Spent the weekend installing my custom gauge cluster and EFI....... bike is running great, Autometer tach is a POS that even once I got it reading correctly actually had the needle fall off. Will have to replace with a new one if I cannot open it up to fix. Next step is to dyno and fine tune the EFI. Thanks to Buster and TFisher65 for the help installing the EFI!!!

Took mine apart !

Going to respray the frame & service the engine while it's out

Attachments

• P1060466.jpg
    P1060466.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1060442.jpg
    P1060442.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 24
Spent the weekend installing my custom gauge cluster and EFI....... bike is running great, Autometer tach is a POS that even once I got it reading correctly actually had the needle fall off. Will have to replace with a new one if I cannot open it up to fix. Next step is to dyno and fine tune the EFI. Thanks to Buster and TFisher65 for the help installing the EFI!!!

Jim,
We need PICS!!! Guage cluster EFI etc. :eusa_dance:

Dale #2592

Buster took a bunch of in progress pics of the EFI install. I will post up some pics of the bike, once renamed and back from the dyno tuning. Want to get some pics good enough to post:biglaugh:

I had vinyl letters on my 03 scoops and when they began to lose adhesion I sat contemplating my next couse of action. Then I remembered the led light strips I had. I had a a friend John Longo of Sterling, Va. machine out the letters and he also ground flat the backside. Next, Kevin Burns of Sterling Glass cut out glass windows that I epoxied behind the cut out letters. asfter rigging the LED strips and wiring them in, it was time to test the concept. Look at the pix and see for yourself! Docalyn

Attachments

• DSCN1502.jpg
    DSCN1502.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1503.jpg
    DSCN1503.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1504.jpg
    DSCN1504.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I had vinyl letters on my 03 scoops and when they began to lose adhesion I sat contemplating my next couse of action. Then I remembered the led light strips I had. I had a a friend John Longo of Sterling, Va. machine out the letters and he also ground flat the backside. Next, Kevin Grimes of Sterling Glass cut out glass windows that I epoxied behind the cut out letters. asfter rigging the LED strips and wiring them in, it was time to test the concept. Look at the pix and see for yourself! Docalyn

i like it! can you leave 'em on when parked?

for today i tried to fix my wobble.. again..

Installed the Stage 3 cams on the rear cylinders.
Will post pics on how to time them correctly soon.
Cheers

I put the bike back together and took it for a ride :biglaugh:.
It runs ok and pulls nice but, still pops alittle whem decelerating
but other than that theres no hesitation so I must have at least one good ear LOL. But, I think I`ll let 5the shop do the fine tuning on it.
There`s a guy over there that knows the vmax and he`s got 30 years of experience and when he saw the bike he really liked it and told me that he could get it run perfect.:eusa_dance:so we`ll just see what happens.
<<Dave>>

Installed the Stage 3 cams on the rear cylinders.
Will post pics on how to time them correctly soon.
Cheers

How long before you're done man? I had doubts about Seans seat at first, but now I'm sold.

Today was MAINTENANCE DAY baby, yeah. Got more done than I planned on.

Changed oil
Changed final drive gear oil
Installed SS rear brake line (been laying around for months, finally put it on)
Flushed and bled same
Installed speed bleeders front and back (these really work, hot damn!)
Started the long job of polishing my headlight filler piece thingy guy.
Polished my pipes with a speed wheel until you can shave in 'em!

Shit! I'm tired LOL. I was a little concerned with the condition of the final gerar oil when I drained it (I don't think it had ever been done, it was grey and.....nasty) but there's nothing I can do about it aside from keep it changed at proper intervals now.

I also grabbed a handlebar riser extender off of ebay that was machined to match the Max's weird shape, 2" back and 1" up, should be perfect.

SLEEP!

Dave! Where were you Saturday man? Black Sheep put up a huge bike night, good times. My club took the slow ride and plank ride honors (I finally got knocked out of Slow ride in the finals by one of our own guys). Gotta make it next time.

took the bike out to run some errands and after a little while it seems like the carbs are loading upon fuel it burps when i accelerate from a stop sometimes still pops a bit. :damn angry:
I don`t think I`ll ride it `till I get it fine tuned.
<<Dave>>

Dave! Where were you Saturday man? Black Sheep put up a huge bike night, good times. My club took the slow ride and plank ride honors (I finally got knocked out of Slow ride in the finals by one of our own guys). Gotta make it next time.
Just got my bike running yesterday man.:biglaugh:
I had proper vpltage but that dAMN WIRE WAS SO DENSE THAT THE SYSTEM WASN`T pushing the voltage(no current) so I re wired the whole charging system with automotive primary wire and bingo 14.06 volts to the battery with head and tail lights on. I hope that solved that problem as it seems to have.
Even after putting around in street traffic , the bike fires right up without any drag or problems.but now my carbs need to be synched and the A/F adjusted again.:confused2:
I need to get some money so I can take it over to Rancho Cucamonga Yamaha they have a guy there that knows the vmax and will do it for $112.00.
He says that he can get it perfect.
<<Dave>>

Last edited:
He says that he can get it perfect.

LOL. Sorry,

Just got me thinking, that there is NO SUCH THING as a "Perfect V Max"

There is always something MORE to fix, something MORE to modify, something MORE to buy for it. :bang head:

And I when I was riding home from the Eureka Springs VMOA ride, I saw that damned Mod Monkey hiding behind the tree in my yard! :bang head:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back