what do you guys think of this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Im looking for a bike for my gf. She has only driven clutch a few times so there's alot of work ahead of us. Firematic found me this earlier this week. Seems like a reasonable bike

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3017499746.html

The problem is I found this one that was posted the beginning of may

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3001350416.html

They are the same bike no dout in my mind. Jamestown is about an hr and a half from welsville...

I called the guy who sold the bike first.. he said there was no problems with it.. the front tire was a little dry rotted and I asked if it was a qualifier front tire he said yes.. the one im going to look like has a qualifier on it. The handlebars are identical and the exhaust. I don't mind people turning a quick buck but come on asking 2x what u paid for it. BS! doesn't look like he did any work to it.. he wont take lower than 1200. If I drive the hr and a half I will be very upfront about all the info I found and I wont mind giving 1k. Because it a good starter bike. I don't know if its even worth it what do u guys think??

That bike, if in nice shape and not needing work, is worth maybe a grand- $1200 on a good day. $1500 is high especially if it needs tires.

I've been seeing all over craigslist recently these 80's bikes people are asking $1500+ for, usually needing tires, battery, carb job, ect. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden people's junky old bikes are worth twice what they were last year.

You can do better if you keep your eyes open and aren't in a big rush to buy. Also keep in mind people often take much, much less than their asking price. Went with a buddy to look at a car....guy was asking $3500 and agreed to $1100. So don't be afraid to low-ball.

I guess really I will be able to tell seeing when he registered it. But firematic messaged me and noticed the left crank case cover is silver in one and black on other

That bike, if in nice shape and not needing work, is worth maybe a grand- $1200 on a good day. $1500 is high especially if it needs tires.

I've been seeing all over craigslist recently these 80's bikes people are asking $1500+ for, usually needing tires, battery, carb job, ect. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden people's junky old bikes are worth twice what they were last year.

You can do better if you keep your eyes open and aren't in a big rush to buy. Also keep in mind people often take much, much less than their asking price. Went with a buddy to look at a car....guy was asking $3500 and agreed to $1100. So don't be afraid to low-ball.

What happened was gas prices. :rofl_200:

PM sent.

$1200 is a fair price needing no big outlays, but yeah, it sucks he is trying for the big score, comparatively-speaking. Too-bad you didn't find the earlier ad.

I had one, same model but a different year, dual front discs. It belonged to a cop at work & was sitting in the parking lot for months, never used, never moved. I found out who owned it & bought it for $200. A battery, tires, & fluids later, fun & economical transportation for a couple of years before I gave it to my brother. I had multiple bikes so I really didn't miss it.

I am a fan of the Kawi 4's, air-cooled, overbuilt, reliable, plentiful parts, easy to maintain. Already June, time to ride!

PM sent.

$1200 is a fair price needing no big outlays, but yeah, it sucks he is trying for the big score, comparatively-speaking. Too-bad you didn't find the earlier ad.

I had one, same model but a different year, dual front discs. It belonged to a cop at work & was sitting in the parking lot for months, never used, never moved. I found out who owned it & bought it for $200. A battery, tires, & fluids later, fun & economical transportation for a couple of years before I gave it to my brother. I had multiple bikes so I really didn't miss it.

I am a fan of the Kawi 4's, air-cooled, overbuilt, reliable, plentiful parts, easy to maintain. Already June, time to ride!

You would like my buddy ZN1200 six cylinder.. its been stripped down of all touring stuff. Harley front and rear fender. Its a fighter version no speedo or anything.. things pritty sweet

I agree with FM however just in case you do drive to look at it check those covers to see if it is actually fresh spray paint on them. .98 cents at walmart could be the only difference in that bike as it does genuinely appear to be the same from both adds

Here's the scoop I talked to a guy. I think I ruined a friendship... he bought the bike off his friend for 1000 he painted the gas tank and that's it.. I was talking to him and told him the guy said he sold it to someone in hornell and he instantly said that son of a bitch.. it was a good friend to him and he mad a quick buck off of him so he is pissed.. he doesn't have title in yet so we ain't going to look at it till tomorrow. He went to look for title but his girl said its not back yet.. so he said 1100 because we were gonna come down tomorrow.. but its a fucked up situation for him to find this out from me who lives 1 1/2 hrs away lol.

Karmas a bitch

Ask him if he feels like a Beaver...

karma.jpg

What happened was gas prices. :rofl_200:

I guess, though gas prices have been "high" for years, they were higher last summer and the summer before that (at least in NY) yet this year for some reason people are asking full blown "excellent" book value or more for bikes that in no way qualify as "excellent".

I saw a used '08 Rebel that needed a battery being hocked for $3995. I wonder if he realized that was the full retail of a brand new one.

Dam! You can buy a brand new CBR 250r for that! I found a 03 rebel for 1700 I didn't think was bad.. but as for gas prices ur forgetting one thing.. this is american everyone is to worried about partying were slow it takes awhile to catch on lol. There just now realizing people can save money on gas with bikes.

Hi just from my experience with teaching my wife how to ride a few years ago. I bought her a 85 gsl 550 inline 4 nice bike just a lil harder to balance the inline 4s better off with a v twin so i sold that bike and bought her a virago 535 fit her perfect but she claimed it was still to heavy. When she took the riders safety course she started out on an eliminator 125 so i think if i would have got her what she learned on she would have progressed alot faster being more comfortable on a familiar bike but i was trying to get her something she could learn on and ride on for awhile. Also my wife is only 5'2" so she had issues right from the beginning on the gsl. If i had to do it all over again i think the eliminator or a rebel would have been the right bike for her. Also she was going to get a stretched Busa after learning how to ride,LOL i kept saying got to up your life insurance policy to over a Million baby.

Got a couple of Fazers available (Baby vmax's). They work well too and not a dog on power.

Sean

how about the 3 contact people in the ad? that strikes me as odd

Yea his cell he only can text with.. the other two are owners of the body shop he works at where the bike is because he doesn't have garage.

Nice thing about most of the small bikes is they resell easily most of the time for about what you pay for them. The bad thing is the new rider quickly wants to get something with a bit more kick.

Cheapest bike I have right now is a 550 vision which is actually a great bike but it's very tall in the saddle. I know the baby virago's are real turds and 80mph is the absolute max unless running downhill!

Hahahaha yea I think ill have to convince her in getting a faker after this one! I was told these ltd 550 are actually fun.. its got aftermarket handle bars and after market 4-1 exhaust. I looked up you tube vids they don't sound bad and look like there a little quick but its tame. As a good starter but also wont get bored fast like a 250.. when she rides passenger on my max and when I had my fzr 1000 she always taps my should and squeezes me meaning give her hell first couple of gear. :D

Back