What is MPG for each gen.?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you are easy on the throttle, poor. When you are heavy on the throttle, poorer.

These bikes will pass everything but a gas station.

Who buys a VMax for fuel economy anyway?

Between my bikes, high 20s low 40s depending. And I have a huge elevation swing.

I am at sea level and when I ride it right I get 38mpg. I’m confident I can lean it out a little more and get over 40. But my bike runs so nice I’m reluctant to mess around with it.

I got 42 mpg now down just under 39mpg 39mm Vgas 5th gear over drive and I just installed a venture rear so I'm not sure maybe this friday when temps hit 70... I did take it out for a quicky at 65 mph turning 3 thou rpms in 5th

Gen 2 should have better MPG, most likely it has O2 sensor. 4 wires, most likely narrowband O2 sensor. There is no downstream O2 sensor.vmax 17 list.jpg

Last edited:
All my gen1's got between 25-32. Never above. My gen2 never got above 25. Smiles and grins in exchange for fuel. Worth the tradeoff.

All my gen1's got between 25-32. Never above. My gen2 never got above 25. Smiles and grins in exchange for fuel. Worth the tradeoff.
You are probably a "narrowband" guy. If you get fat stomach, you'll get better MPG. Drink beer, eat donuts. ;)

What’s a good mpg for a Gen 2 ? My light comes on at almost 75 miles exactly. I don’t think I ride it hard so I’m wondering if I have something going on, I’ve got a full aftermarket exhaust and I assume it’s tuned but could be wrong. I ride in the 3rd gear range a lot at about 3 grand rpm’s and when I fill it up it usually takes 2.5 gallons. Does this sound normal?

What’s a good mpg for a Gen 2 ? My light comes on at almost 75 miles exactly. I don’t think I ride it hard so I’m wondering if I have something going on, I’ve got a full aftermarket exhaust and I assume it’s tuned but could be wrong. I ride in the 3rd gear range a lot at about 3 grand rpm’s and when I fill it up it usually takes 2.5 gallons. Does this sound normal?

On average....depending on how fast I want to speed down the interstate, at normal interstate speeds(Legal) I can go between 90-110 miles before my fuel light kicks on and its generally 3 gallons to fill up. When I decide to triple digit speed it down the interstate, I will range from 75-90 before the light comes on and its the same 3 gallons for me.

Anywhere between 20-45 mpg. The more smiles, the lower the number.

Last edited:
Average gen 1 with decent tune (regardless of the header) should be getting 32-35 with many getting 35-40. We've seen close to 50 with our overdrive 5th running 90-100mph for an hour straight (5000 rpm). I think I even get close to 25 mpg at the dragstrip with the gen 1. My 2009 dragbike gets about 28-30ish on the cruises I take.

Stock Gen 1 using E5 fuel in the UK, I get 40MPG at between 60 and 80 MPH. But there will be a slight difference from US to UK gallon.

Also; at tick-over 250 ml's per 20 mins.

Back