What is this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Underneath the left sidecover, not left scoop, left side cover there is a silver metal canister with 2 hoses on one end and 1 hose on the other end. What is it and can it be removed. I have a modified airbox and AIS is removed as well as the big hoses that go to each cylinder head. Reason I want it gone if not needed is because I will have plenty of room there for my PCV and my Speedo Healer without having to put them into a cramped tight space. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone has mentioned it could possibly be something to do with CA emissions? Thanks!!

You are correct. The metal canister is for the california emissions. It won't have any impact on the performance of the bike if removed...... strictly for off road/racing purposes only of course. Just don't remove the small roll-over valve.

You are correct. The metal canister is for the california emissions. It won't have any impact on the performance of the bike if removed...... strictly for off road/racing purposes only of course. Just don't remove the small roll-over valve.

Where on the bike is the Roll-Over Valve located Sir?
Also... if you know, what does that valve do?

The roll-over valve is under the same side cover. The vent hose from the filler neck connects to one end and the other end connects to that metal canister (on CA bikes) or the other end is vented to atmosphere. The purpose of the valve is to prevent gas from draining out of the vent in the event of a laydown/tipover. If you go to a motorcycle parts retailer (ie Revzilla, Parts Shark, etc.) you can see those parts in the fuel tank parts diagram for any year 2nd gen Vmax (CA model has the metal canister AND roll-over valve).

Last edited:
Back