What tires to use for the VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean731

Reaction score
Tire question

Hi I just bought an 03 vmax and need some advice on changing tires.What are some good "grippy" ones and anysuggestions on a flyscreen

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tire question

sean731 said:
Hi I just bought an 03 vmax and need some advice on changing tires.What are some good "grippy" ones and anysuggestions on a flyscreen

I'm sure if you had plenty of time and money to burn there might be a tire out there that works even better for the Vmax but I think I can speak for the whole Vmax community and say that a large majority of us (not all) lean towards the Metzler ME 880 tire.

It's what I use and I'm happy with it, eveytime I try to experiment looking for an even better tire I end up wasting $$$$

The Yamaha flyscreen looks like it's made for the bike ('cause it is) and helps, the wind blast hits me on my helmet which is better than in the chest without it. I'm 6" and have a lowered Sportmax seat as well.

For long trips I use a easily removable Plexifairing from National Cycle although I think it takes away from the looks of the bike.

Last edited:
Only problemt with the metzlers is that down here in the parts asscrack of the world, they want just under $400 for the rear alone and can't even get them for the front.

Waylander said:
Only problemt with the metzlers is that down here in the parts asscrack of the world, they want just under $400 for the rear alone and can't even get them for the front.
WOW, $400 for the rear alone! Have you checked to see if delivery is available from one of the US parts houses or Europe? Surely shipping wouldn't be THAT outrageous.

Where can I get the best price on the Metzler tires? I'm in Ohio.

bibrot said:
Where can I get the best price on the Metzler tires? I'm in Ohio.
I got mine through the dealer for $105 + $15 for mounting. Not sure if they screwed up on the price or wanted a happy customer since I bought my new Max from them. I too live in Ohio.

HAd the shop put on a Bridgestone Exedra G107 this morning. Same profile and all as the Metzler ME880 but from what I can tell so far this one has better grip. From brand new I havn't had it slip on me once and I wasn't babying it even when it still had that wax coating on it. Holds heat well and great grip even in the rain.

This is stock tyre size aswell.

Havn't been ablt to test it too much though cause my Reg/Rec caught fire on my way out of town.

The Exedras is what came on my 06, I've only had it slip on me twice, once in a corner with some slimmy crap from garbage trucks. And the second time was straight through a light when I used to much rear brake in the rain. Both times it was the back tire. The front has never slipped on me.
But on the one hand, I'm not an agressive rider.

82ndCowboy said:
The Exedras is what came on my 06, I've only had it slip on me twice, once in a corner with some slimmy crap from garbage trucks. And the second time was straight through a light when I used to much rear brake in the rain. Both times it was the back tire. The front has never slipped on me.
But on the one hand, I'm not an agressive rider.
I ride agressive as fuck and the roads here are not that great as far as the seal they use. Bitumen I think they call it. Not even proper tar so it seeps somethin fierce during the summer.

No slips for me.

I've got Avons on my Vmax--a Supervenom up front and a Venom in the rear. I did some research before buying them several years ago, and I remember them being recommended as the stickiest tires for the Vmax. But I'm not happy with the grip. For example, I can easily overpower the front tire with the brakes. A couple weeks ago, I decided to see just how hard I could stop the Vmax, and I ended up locking the front tire far sooner than I thought it should have. (I have steel brake lines and EBC HH pads.)

With the rear tire, I am not happy with the flat profile of it. It gives great grip in a straight line, but the profile is such that when I am cornering, it has a very small contact patch. If I accelerate briskly while leaned over, I'll often slide the rear tire. In fact, the rear tire has such great straight-line grip and the front tire has such un-great straight grip that I can't do a burnout without wetting the rear tire. (I know how to do a burnout--front brake locked, ass off the seat, front tire loaded as much as possible, slip the clutch from 4000+ rpm.) What'll happen is that the front tire will just start skipping, the bike will start hopping forward, and the rear tire will not spin.

Here are my questions:

Is there a stickier front tire than the Supervenom?

Is there a rear tire with a rounder profile than the Venom?

Would switching to a 170/80-15 tire result in a rounder profile?

If anyone has pictuers of their tires on their Vmax, please post up.

I've seen some people say they like the ME880s, and I'd happily give them a shot if they were V-rated. Even though I don't go over 130mph very often, I get nervous about putting a tire on my bike that is designed to go no more than roughly 20mph slower than the bike's top speed. But what about the OEM Exedras? Are those good tires?

I've got Avons on my Vmax--a Supervenom up front and a Venom in the rear. I did some research before buying them several years ago, and I remember them being recommended as the stickiest tires for the Vmax. But I'm not happy with the grip. For example, I can easily overpower the front tire with the brakes. A couple weeks ago, I decided to see just how hard I could stop the Vmax, and I ended up locking the front tire far sooner than I thought it should have. (I have steel brake lines and EBC HH pads.)

With the rear tire, I am not happy with the flat profile of it. It gives great grip in a straight line, but the profile is such that when I am cornering, it has a very small contact patch. If I accelerate briskly while leaned over, I'll often slide the rear tire. In fact, the rear tire has such great straight-line grip and the front tire has such un-great straight grip that I can't do a burnout without wetting the rear tire. (I know how to do a burnout--front brake locked, ass off the seat, front tire loaded as much as possible, slip the clutch from 4000+ rpm.) What'll happen is that the front tire will just start skipping, the bike will start hopping forward, and the rear tire will not spin.

Here are my questions:

Is there a stickier front tire than the Supervenom?

Is there a rear tire with a rounder profile than the Venom?

Would switching to a 170/80-15 tire result in a rounder profile?

If anyone has pictuers of their tires on their Vmax, please post up.

I've seen some people say they like the ME880s, and I'd happily give them a shot if they were V-rated. Even though I don't go over 130mph very often, I get nervous about putting a tire on my bike that is designed to go no more than roughly 20mph slower than the bike's top speed. But what about the OEM Exedras? Are those good tires?

This is the reason I went with radials... Way more choices and way better compounds... If you don't like the venoms then you won't like the ME880's... They are a great tire but are designed for touring so they offer great mileage but less grip...

This is the reason I went with radials... Way more choices and way better compounds... If you don't like the venoms then you won't like the ME880's... They are a great tire but are designed for touring so they offer great mileage but less grip...

Bummer, that's kinda what I figured. If I was going to keep the Vmax for a long time, I'd look at switching to wheels that would support radial rubber but at the moment, I'm holding my breath for the "new" Vmax.

What about the OEM Exedras? Are they in the same boat as the ME880s and the Avons? Thanks!

Back