What to do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Instead of blowing up fire crackers on the 4th, my V-max decided to blow her connecting rod bearings and or crankshaft bearings. Happy 4th of July!
So here is my question. How much can you get for a 2005 Limited Edition with 15434 miles with a blown engine, but otherwise in excellent condition?
The bike is unmodified except for the addition of a Scorpio500i alarm system. I am the original owner and went through a lot of troubles to get a 49state bike registered in california. Ha Ha. I love this Motorcycle!!! But since it is all about the motor and I don`t have four thousand dollars to fix it, what is one supposed to do.

Buy a motor from Sean or CaptainKyle. Not sure if Kyle has one right now but Sean certainly does..

To sell it, not a great deal of money for a broke VMax, even an 05..

Talk to Sean too...He might have something, they are around, some salvage place on Ebay sells them all the time for around $1500 with videos showing them running before pulling.

The bike with blown engine is probably worth $3000 or so, figuring blue book of $6000-$6500 or so and taking away the REAL cost of replacing the engine if you paid to have it done.....I'd definitely fix it first even if you are going to sell it otherwise you're going to lose big...

Tricky part is finding a buyer willing to pay that when they can buy a running one that's older for about the same price....

Good luck in whatever you decide and sorry to hear the bad news, I blew 2nd gear in mine a while back and the repair has turned into a full blown ass raping by the dreaded mod monkey.......

Thanks for the advice, but how much is a rebuilt motor from "sean" or captain crunch? PCM quoted me a four grand minimum, and how do you know that the motor from flea-bay actually turns over?

Yeah...this is the problem with (anything) that needs major work. It's not just worth half as much...it's worth like 20% of what it would be running. Little problems...cosmetic, electrical, gauges, ect, aren't really a big deal or expense to fix. But nobody wants to buy a bike with a ruined engine. Someone who does wants it for a total bargain.

Honestly I'd say as-it-sits, your bike is worth right around $1500....to the right person, and finding the right person might take a while.

Definitely send an email to Sean ([email protected]). He's the vmax guru and can help anybody out, no matter how "dire" things seem.

But I wouldn't try and dump it as is...you'll get hosed. PCW told you $4000 for a total motor teardown and rebuild. I bet for $6000, you can get a 1570 Tourmaster and be pushing 180+hp at the tire. Since they already are pulling the motor, and already tearing it down, the bulk of the labor is "already there". Might as well add some pistons, rods, boring, ect to the shopping cart and end up with a bike far better than stock.

It definitely sucks the motor took a dump, but see it as an opportunity instead. You wouldn't shell out $6k for a bigger motor on a bike that runs perfectly, but if you have to shell out $4k just to get back to stock....the extra grand or two doesn't seem so bad for such a big difference.

Thanks for the advice, but how much is a rebuilt motor from "sean" or captain crunch? PCM quoted me a four grand minimum, and how do you know that the motor from flea-bay actually turns over?

The ebay motors from the salvage company I'm seeing on there take you to a website where they pretty well do a video documentation of the bike's condition and the motor running before they tear it apart....Gotta read closely tho'; they had one on there that clearly stated the motor mount bosses were broken, miss that and click "buy now" and you'd really regret it, not that it couldn't be fixed but it'd be a pain in the dick...I have had no dealings with them but they actually appear reputable.

If you wrench it yourself and ONLY FIX WHAT"S BROKEN you could probably coordinate with Sean M to get it done for less than 2 grand depending of course on whats broken.....perhaps a lot loss, or in the event of a ruined crankshaft or case plenty more than that.....

A little troubleshooting might be in order at this point tho', you might actually have a minor problem, never know for sure till you tear in to it...

Buy a motor from Sean or CaptainKyle. Not sure if Kyle has one right now but Sean certainly does..

To sell it, not a great deal of money for a broke VMax, even an 05..
I have one that would work but to me once you take the matching numbers from an anniversary model it is virtually worthless as ever being a collectors item.

I can`t believe all the love I`m getting. After cutting the oil filter apart and finding lots of "gold" I knew what I was up against. I know how to wrench but besides the special tools needed to take her apart, I don`t have the know-how of finding out what caused the problem to begin with. (Most likely oil starvation) So anyway, thanks again for your input and help.

I can`t believe all the love I`m getting. After cutting the oil filter apart and finding lots of "gold" I knew what I was up against. I know how to wrench but besides the special tools needed to take her apart, I don`t have the know-how of finding out what caused the problem to begin with. (Most likely oil starvation) So anyway, thanks again for your input and help.
This is the greatest forum you will ever find & if your mechanically inclined there are a lot of people willing to help you out.

I have just been through a complete rebuild of a 1300 V4 and the only real special tool you need is one to lock the clutch basket and that can be home made.

I'm not counting a couple of sizes of torque wrenches or the hex drivers as being special.

You don't even need the valve tool if you have the heads off the motor, Just put cams in, check clearances, pull cams, swap shims, replace cams, check again.

You can borrow a puller for the flywheel and ring compressor and honing tool from most auto parts stores.

Gary

I used to be vmoa member 3696 but some how got side tracked. Well going on track days with my sv650 probably didn`t help that. Then I wrinkled that bike up a bit and "maxine" became my main squeeze. What a motor!!! She can`t touch the suzuki in the twisties but we have surprized a few sportbike guys on our home turf. BTW If any of you out there ever make to northern california, you`ll have to ride HWY49, especially between Nevada City and Sierra Ville.

My sister moved to Nevada City the first of the year. If I ever get my bike back on the road I'll be going up there to visit. If you would be interested in getting together for a ride or something to eat PM me your phone# & name and I'll give you a call.

I have one that would work but to me once you take the matching numbers from an anniversary model it is virtually worthless as ever being a collectors item.
How would a person know the engine was non-matching? Unless they did some research,.....I don't think the engine numbers are on the title, are they?

The engine numbers used to match the vin but that isn't always the case in the last 10 years or so of the Vmax. We can fix that one and or sell you another one. Anything from mild to wild so to speak. There are no special tools needed and you might not even have to take the heads off to fix it!

Sean

The 05's VIN Number has nothing to do with the Anniversary Model's # Plate.. I just found that out a few weeks ago as I'm looking at 05's... That fact all but turned me off to the idea of getting one.

I doubt the "collector value thing will ever come into play...The Vmax is a cult bike yes, but the value will never be "through the roof" Matching numbers or not... ..............I'm probably wrong, we'll see in another 20 years..

for every 1 person who wants , looks and checks all the numbers. and knows what they mean.

there are 20,000 who just want a vmax . because it's a vmax.
let alone how would you check and see if the speedo has ever been replaced?
i would never change one for lower miles. but them guys are out there. just sayen

just to settle any arguments. There are three numbers and letters (in my case it is 2WE) engraved into the engine cases and that is also represented in the VIN. As to the limited edition number (mine is o455 out of two thousand){big deal}its just a plastic piece stuck on the airbox cover. As far as I know it`s not available as a part from Yamaha as I found out after a mechanic scratched my brand new one and I asked them to replace it with a new one. All I got is a naked spare cover.

Back