What USD setup?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm looking to go with a USD front fork setup (new or used) for my '89 Max.

Any of you have any suggestions for the least expensive setup to do this?

I'd like to keep the stock front fender, stock front wheel, axle, bearings and speedometer if possible, while (of course) replacing the front brake calipers with R1 (or similar) calipers and the M/C for the brakes.

Thanks very much for your help!

Elimax

Well i will be replacing my front end with zx10r one from 2007 since my stock end is destroyed. But with front wheel and new custom tripple tree.

Lots of things to be considered but what i can tell ya that theres no sense to
makeing the life hard and tring to fit the stock wheel, speedo etc. IMO ofkoz.

Firstble the wheel axle from v-max is 17mm and you will not find USD with axle smaller then 25mm.

Second, almost evrytime you will need to machine new tripple tree couse theres not enough meat to machine stock tree to fit about 50mm of USD sleeves. Some people do that by machining the USD sleeves but personaly i will not recommend that.

Third, USD are almost always about 100mm shorter than v-max fork so you need the fork extensions.

Fourth, theres a big problem how to fit the stock front fender to USD.

Sure that evrything can be done but some things will be pricey.
Also you can buy bolt on set and ready to fit but it will cost you about 2-3k$.

As far as i remember Sean Morely used to working on this. Maybe he can give you some info.

I've got an R1 setup with one of our first dropped triples that I would sell for $1500 complete.

Sean

USD, VMax and inexpensive can't really be used in the same sentence. :biglaugh: Unless you have your own CNC stuff, you need custom triples made for any USD forks from another bike to fit. Tom from Cycle One Off offers custom made triples for most USD forks off SS bikes or you can get a complete package off of him. I think Exactrep and Ohlins offers (or use to offer in Ohlins case) a complete USD front end that retained all your stock parts but it was not cheap.

Hi Sean:

Would you mind telling me what your R1 setup includes? Sounds excellent!

Thanks.

Aaron

Hello Elimax,

We have the complete package you are looking for down to the correct axle set-up you would need to run your stock front wheel. This axle set-up allows you to run your wheel and speedo drive unit and also comes with the correct spacers for the calipers. Everything is bolt on and go. We also have the front fender bracket so you can run the stock front fender. Give me a call or go to our USD page here http://cycleoneoff.com/Photo_Album.html
You can see some pictures there of that very set-up on a few bikes.

Regards
Tom
Cycle One-off Inc.
P.O. Box 15415
Rochester, NY 14615
Order by phone toll free 1(866) 238-5450
[email protected]
www.cycleoneoff.com

Toms setup is nice and even the Exactrep setup is nice. I think tom's is about the only one that offers the fender adapter to re-use your current fender.

My setup is a top triple only with dropped tree. Reuses the Vmax stem in the R1 lower tree. See pics. Tire has about 250 miles on it (engine went out and project went to back burner).

Sean

Attachments

• First_Ride_-_Staci_2005_small.JPG
    First_Ride_-_Staci_2005_small.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Cap0027.BMP
    225.1 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the pics, Sean.

So, that fork setup only takes an R1 wheel, or can it take a Max wheel as well?

Thanks.

Elimax

I have an axle and threaded adapter if you wanted to reuse your max wheel. You will need to buy the adapters from Tom if you want the vmax fender mounted up. You can get the axle and adapter or the R1 front wheel/tire for that price.

Sean

do you just but the R1 forks on the vmax or do you need to change the springs for the exact weight of the vmax

The setup I have still has the R1 springs in it. I do suggest to change them out and put in probably the heaviest springs you can get from Racetech which may be the 1.2 springs.

Sean

The setup I have still has the R1 springs in it. I do suggest to change them out and put in probably the heaviest springs you can get from Racetech which may be the 1.2 springs.

Sean

hey sean, i dont wanna sound like a know it all-but i 'd suggest the 1.0's. i rode with the stock 2000 r1 springs and COO setup at first-to much front end dive under braking and bottoming out on alot of bumps. switched to 1.2's-so stiff you could feel the cracks in the road in your shoulders. lots of vibration in your hands. when i switched to the otec triples and 06 forks i went with the 1.0's and it seems to be the perfect combination. i weigh about 180-185. just my personal experience with the three setups.

later odieoh24

Again, good stuff, thx Odieo. I have a set of 02 R1 forks that Tom at COO just resprung for me , not sure what he put in for springs, but i may be working on a fender piece that would be able to retain the stock fender.....still not sure what route i'm going in yet. (Tire and fork set up ) .

Back