When you buy a second hand VMax ...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinicrus

Reaction score
Salut all!

- i'm a newbie in VMax-ing :icon_rolleyes:
- i want to buy a VMax :thumbs up:

So, i need some strong advice on what, how and where to check to be sure i buy a decent, well-kept VMax.

Thank you, I'm looking forward for your tips. :punk:

Salut all!

- i'm a newbie in VMax-ing :icon_rolleyes:
- i want to buy a VMax :thumbs up:

So, i need some strong advice on what, how and where to check to be sure i buy a decent, well-kept VMax.

Thank you, I'm looking forward for your tips. :punk:

Welcome! :banana:

I would buy a 93 or later and would highly recommend a 99 or later due to some changes and additions that are nice to have. Make sure the one you get has full power with V-Boost. Other than that they are all pretty good. The newer you can afford the better off you'll be unless you can find a low mileage mint early model like some here have.

G-luck
Chris

thanl you 4gasem!

i agree with you, buying a newer bike is always a best choice. anyway, i would't buy one older than '99.
But i want some tips regarding details like engine sound, possible signes of engine damage/issues, rust, cables, things like that.
Thanks alot!

I would at the minimum ask for a leak down test of all cylinders.

Earlier models might have 2nd gear problems. Check and make sure it shifts smoothly. Make sure it doesn't pop out of gear when under any acceleration.

Shine a flash light in the gas tank and look for rust.

Check for leaks obviously.

Mark

The VMax has it's peculiarities, that for those not in the know, would think it's something not right with the bike. But for those that own one, will know it's normal for the VMax. But it pretty difficult to determine if anything is wrong without seeing or riding a VMAx.
I always recommend talking to the person selling and find out Why they are selling?
If they can't look you in the eye and be perfectly honest with you, Run!
There are a lot of decent good running bikes in the Buy & Sell board in this forum. Try checking out one of those that is close to you. Before buying from an unknown seller.
Most Yam Dealers I've been to usually have a new VMax that's been sitting on the show room floor for months. Take a look and see if you can get them to run it for you. If you act as a serious buyer they will usually want to please you to make the sale.
Unfortunately, when you buy used, you get what you pay for. All you can really do is see it's physical appearance. Most people that take really good care of the exterior will take good care of the maintenance as well.
Again the best you can do is talk to the person selling it and try and determine if they are trustworthy and helpful as far as the bike they are selling.
Good luck!
Feel free to ask other questions here.
There are a great bunch of VMaxers in here that are willing to help and give their advice and opinions.

Well, I would check it out like you would any motor vehicle. When you go to look at it, make sure the owner doesn't start it up and get it warmed up before you arrive. Tell him you want it stone cold. See how it starts from a cold condition. Look for any smoke in the exhaust, issues getting started, strangesounds that have a tendency to show themselves when a bike is cold. Keep in mind that V-Maxes make ALOT of odd sounds. I am finding all kinds of new ones every time I ride! :biglaugh:

Get it warmed up and, if allowed, take it for a ride. Note how long it takes to get into proper running condition. Check all functions...brakes, clutch, how the tranny shifts. Many people will advise you to use a high gear WOT roll on to test for a bad clucth. Well, mine would spin and burn the clutch up in second and third gear, but not exhibits signs of slipping in 4th and 5th. I would try a good third gear roll on to redline. This should give you a good idea of how the bike runs.

Get it totally warmed up and see how it hot starts as well.

A leakdown test is best for testing the condition of the motor. Compression test is quicker, but often a motor will show good compression and still have problems.

Basically, RIDE IT. Anyone that won't let you ride the bike probably has something to hide...either that or they don't trust you. If they won't let YOU ride it, make them ride it and watch the bike carefully for strange sounds, smoke etc.

It is also not a bad idea to ask if a mechanic can inspect it for problems. Again, if someone has nothing to hide, they have no worries.

Finally, don't buy from anyone that gives you a bad feeling. if it feels wrong, IT IS wrong. I only buy from people who I feel I can trust.

Mike

Thank you all for you kindness and pointings, it really does a difference.

I checked the bikes from buy&sell cats on the forum, they're all quite cool. i loved the one from '04 mostly.
my budget it's about 5000 euros, which means about 7700 us dollars, but unfortunately i can't buy it, i live in europe :)
in about a week or so i'll take the road to italy to buy my bike from there. from what i saw through second hand buy-sell-websites, they have decent offers.
i hope i'll hear from you more until then. i'll take my notebook with me, and maybe i can read some more posts on the road. :icon_rolleyes: Someone should just make a video regarding this topic's ideea. i think it'll help so many young newbies like me. :hmmm:
well, that's it for now. thanks again!

hi all!
just came to my attention that yamaha didn't released a v-boost edition in europe due to legislation issues.:surprise: but many selers here say their bike it's v-boost & 145 hp. how can i see the diffrences beetween the 2 versions, it's like a piece of the engine that's missing from the non v-boost edition ? or at least something similar ?
thank you

The intakes are missing the vboost butterflies. I'm not sure what the European intake looks like and not sure if you need different manifolds or if you'll get by with just the butterfly valves. You'll also need the vboost controller which mounts near the relays on the left side and also the servo motor which mounts under your ignition computer.

thank you maleko89! but maybe some pictures describing what you've just explained will work much better! oh, please ... it's not like i own one ... :))

hi all!
just came to my attention that yamaha didn't released a v-boost edition in europe due to legislation issues.:surprise: but many selers here say their bike it's v-boost & 145 hp. how can i see the diffrences beetween the 2 versions, it's like a piece of the engine that's missing from the non v-boost edition ? or at least something similar ?
thank you

Really? I told you above to keep an eye out for these...:whistlin:

:worthy:4gasem

i found a webpage with 2 pictures, answering my question, i hope it helps others too:
(still don't see where that servo motor should be)
@4gasem: :D , 10x.

site and the 2 pictures:

2000-Yamaha-V-Maxd.jpg

2000-Yamaha-V-Maxe.jpg

cheers!

Clear as mud! LOL it actually does clear it up but only because I know what my full power one looks like.:thumbs up:

Here are the vboost butterflies. It's part number 12. They fit in between the front and rear manifolds.

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 20
Make sure it shifts well and stays in 2nd. It will occansionally slip out of 2nd, that's unfortunetly normal to some degree but it shouldn't do it more than 1 out of 10 times.

Hal

I have this this European version and i have upgraded it with the V-Boost. In my opinion it was a waste of money because i have gained only 10-15km/h top speed and a bit faster acceleration.

The EU version has also a lot of fun to offer, so don't be afraid to buy one.

In Italy V-maxes are the cheapest in whole Europe, so it's a good choice to buy one there.

Here some pics from my Boost upgrade. You can see that the Carbs are connected with a solid piece of alluminium in the original setup, which i later replaced with the butterfly valves.

Attachments

• P2250014_small.JPG
    P2250014_small.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
  • P2250027_small.JPG
    P2250027_small.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P3090034_small.JPG
    P3090034_small.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P3090036_small.JPG
    P3090036_small.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P3090037_small.JPG
    P3090037_small.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P3100046_small.JPG
    P3100046_small.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
When I dyno mine in Topeka I plan on making a run with V-Boost shut off to see how it comes out. Just wonder. I know it doesn't have near the shoulder dislocating grunt that it does with it on...:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back