Where does everyone set their shift lt. at?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Carafa

Reaction score
I was wondering what’s the best rpm to set my shift lt. at? Previous owner had it set for 9,000 for all 5 gears, but the bike doesn’t even want to shift at that rpm.Thanks.

I was wondering what’s the best rpm to set my shift lt. at? Previous owner had it set for 9,000 for all 5 gears, but the bike doesn’t even want to shift at that rpm.Thanks.

With the redline being at 9500 rpm, 9000 rpm is appropriate. That gives a buffer for reaction time.

Bike should shift fine at 9000 rpm or even 9500 for that matter. Are you using a Quickshifter? If it is not setup correctly that can create shifting problems.

No quickshifter.I was just in first gear and wound it up to around 9000 rpm to try shift lt. and it felt reluctant to go into 2nd.Quickly pulled in the clutch and just let everything slow down (worried I’d damage something).Anyways when I let the clutch back out it was in 2nd gear.It could be me just getting used to a new bike.I couldn’t find any info online about people setting shift points for the lt.Are there other forums out there for there Vmax? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of info out there, my FZ1 you could find all kinds of info online.

This is the place to be for VMax information. There was another forum that was specific to Gen 2 (2009-present) VMax's but it unfortunately lost it's sponsorship and shutdown this year.

As far as the shifting goes the VMax has a pretty good gearbox (like all Yamaha's) so it's been my experience that in most every case as long as something is not broken (very rare occurrence on a Gen 2) the problem is the gear lever position in relation to the foot/footwear.

On any new to me bike it's the first thing I check and adjust if needed, followed by the rear brake lever and of course the front brake and clutch levers.

If I buy a different pair of boots the shift lever almost always need to be re-adjusted.

This only applies to riders that like to shift at 9,000 rpm whenever possible like we do. :D

BTW The best method of shifting for maximum performance is to load the shift lever and then simply chop the throttle briefly without touching the clutch. Much better than "speed shifting" where you keep the throttle open and fan the clutch....IMO.

The 1-2nd shit of course is always the trickiest in all cases - you need to be assertive with your left foot. All the other gears are easy.

I set 1st at 7,500 as it's a low gear, then I set 2nd at 8,500 and the rest at 9,000 but I rarely use my shift light lol. It's a nice feature though.
Speaking of shifting, I converted my gen 1 to gp style, because 1st to 2nd was a royal pita at high rpm. I haven't seen a mod yet for the gen 2 for the gp style shift, not sure it's possible, would be nice though.

Thanks for the advice.I’m thinking there’s not much info online because there just isn’t many Gen 2 VMAX’s out there.Ive never seen another one on the road here in NH aside from Laconia Bikeweek.

89 had no rev limiter and would make power to the Ozone if you weren't careful. Very Modified. 94 was set up with ECU to 9,000, you start to lose power after that anyway. Lightly Modified with Aftermarket ECU..

Back