Where is TDC for 3&4?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
OK. 1&2 leakdown went great. Sooooo.... I'm moving on to 3 (suspected of behaving badly) and 4, but i can't get the motor to shut up on either of them.
Three seems to blow air into 1. I know that's not good, but one doesn't blow into 3. Of course it doesn't. 4 does not blow into 2, but I also can't seem to find TDC by ear without my compressor cycling on. I'm sure there are other issues, but I'm really not terribly concerned with anything but leak-down tonight. I'm trying to get this motor out for next week so I can do my transmission, but I'd like to know if I need to place an emergency order with Sean before tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

I got everything to close well enough to do my testing. Leakage does not seem bad at all really. Nothing is more than 6-8% from what I can tell. I'm sure I'll do it again tomorrow just to be sure.

Questions for this round.
1) could an over rev mess up the timing enough to give 20mpg?
2)how many degrees from tdc1 is tdc3? Or how many should it be. I'm really not sure where I ended up. All I know is that it was pretty quiet and reading input 88/pressure 85 on number 3. All the others were +/-1 on input and output holding steady. I'll try plugs next and a cop swap after that.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Over revving won't make a cam chain jump. It could cause other damage if done over and over again (usually rod bearing failure).

I'm still wondering if I just got the valves to close with trial and error, got lucky, or got it right. There were no visible markings when the test of 3&4 worked out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back