Why buy jet kit, cant I just jet it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max0199

Reaction score
I have just bought my first 85 v max, and one thing amoung a long list of things to do will b e to sort out the carbs. I am a hot rodder and I am confused as to the jetting on the v max carbs. I guess I am use to taking off the bowls and jetting the carb. Question.........What is in this magical kit that warrents the $250 price tag? Jets are cheep, I dont get it.

You don't remove the bowls... You use a tooth pick. Honestly a main jet and some spacers for the needles are all that are needed. Sometime nothing is needed.

Are you installing a new exhaust?

Where in IA are you? I live in the Quads. You didn't buy this bike from Jay did you?

Sean Morley's kit is the one to go with but it comes with more than a few jets.

Chris

I bought the bike up in minnesota. The bike has had a few changes, But I have not yet been in the carbs. I assume someone has been there as the carbs are numbered and it runs pig fat. I think they might have had a header on it and sold it with the stock pipe on it. It has K&N filter stacks on it.

I just bought a Older two brothers 4-1 header off flea bag today. Of coarse it does not come with the can(I am looking for one if you know of any) I know I need to dig into the carbs, I assume the best place to start would be going back to stock settings and working my way up. I hope somebody hasnt taken a drill bit to them. I am not sure though waht they would have drilled or why, Maybe air bleeds?

When I look at the pics of the jet kits, it looks like a couple of jets and drill bits. Seems really expensive for some brass!

I live in Des Moines. There is a vmax guru in perry named Tony, But I enjoy working on my own stuff. I am a car guy so some of this stuff is a little different. My car is a 84 capri with a 420 ci stroked windsor on the squeeze. It runs 6.30s in the eighth driving to the track. Moral of the story, I have tools.

Hello from Washington, IA.
You can rejet, but jet kits can come with new springs, multiple types of jets, drill bits for drilling the slides, adjustable needles, shims for small raising/lowering of the needle, air box changes, different air filters, puke tanks, spacers for eliminating the V-boost..... all depending on what you want and what kit you go with.

There are some very carb-savy guys here that should be able to help you out more than me... let us know what your exhaust is, and what other mods you have done/are planning on doing and I'm sure you can get set up.

Jeff

It was so dirty when I bought it I thought it was black! It is actually blue. It has 29,000 miles. I am putting a 4-1 two brothers header on it, a older one. It has a 2" outlet and I am looking for a can for it if anybody has one laying around. I also have to set the valves on it, I am sure they are out of adjustment. I have to find the tool for that. I refuse to go over to the yamaha dealer as I dont like being raped! I want to change some things on the bike, I just cant seem to pick where to start.

First thing would be to get the carbs off and see where you are at. You can rejet without a full kit but kits like mine have been proven and include a lot of stuff - 6 sets of jets, 1 new K&N filter, different springs, air correctors, billet oil fill cap (need to talk to you Jeff) and other misc stuff.

I'm sure it's rich and if you are still using the individual filters with the stock exhaust it's no wonder you are rich. Do you have a braided tube coming up from your oil fill cap?

Sean Morley

No braided line coming from the oil fill cap. I think I want to keep the v boost on the bike , So no stage 7, Right? I sent you a private message also(Morley) for some adapter brackets for busa brakes. The header(4-1 two brothers) is on the way. To many projects on this bike!

Latest posts

Back