Windshields

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing: Where do you buy the handlebars, will the existing cables work on them, what do they cost? Thanks.

To be honest I wasn't looking for better control, just for a more relaxed upright seating position. I found the originals had me leaning forward to much to my taste, so I went higher and wider, and love it.

I looked on fleaBay and found suitable ones for around $35, I believe they were listed for Triumph scrambler or similar. Just find something that has the width and rise you want, and that's the right diameter (HD bars are thicker).

Then to swap was easy, take off the old ones, fit the new ones, refit all the accessories. I found that my front brake lines were just on the short side but ok. I re-routed the electrics, clutch line and throttle lines to get a bit more play, again from my old pictures you should be able to see where I went.

Then when I upgraded my front rotors to petal disks with adapters, the lines became really too short, so I got a set of SS lines custom made from Sean Morley at a great price! :biglaugh:

Guess I will stay with the stock handlebar for now, just put on new grips....
I called Memphis shades and they said they had no windshield made for the Vmax. So if you buy one you have to make adjustments to make it work.

Still looking for a windshield. I like the spitfire look, but it is not tall enough to deflect the wind over my helmet (so I have been told). Guess I will go look at that line again.

I do not recall any manufacture making a large windshield for the Max and non of them will tell you it is made to fit on it. This where it is up to you to bend, twist and cut it to fit the best. I am going to take a heat gun to my fly screen and bend the top edge up to lift the air higher off me. But as far as finding a direct bolt on I think your out of luck for a larger one. Change out out the bars is the best thing to make the ride more stable and have more control. It relaxes your position and relieves the muscle stress in arms and shoulders.

I am sold on the wider handlebars but am not changing right now because of new grips. When I do will sell the oem bars with Kuri. grips, put new Kuri. grips on.

Ordered the Slipstreamer Viper windshield. Will review it for everyone once it is installed.

Here are pics of the Viper on the Vmax. It is not a perfect fit. I wanted height as opposed to sitting right on top of the front headlight. The way I installed it allows some air to be let in between the headlight and the bottom of the shield. To add stability to the shield, put holes on the bottom left and right, plastic tied bottom to the right and left turn signals.

Positioned shield to be parallel with the front fork. Sitting on it, I think it is high enough to push wind over my head. The shield is not too big on the max either.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Windshield 1.jpg
    Windshield 1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Windshield 2.jpg
    Windshield 2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Windshield 3.jpg
    Windshield 3.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Windshield 4.jpg
    Windshield 4.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 44
This little shield is great on the road. The wind is diverted over my head at the height I have it set. So far I highly recommend this $92 shield.

Maiden ride with this shield, turning around in a parking lot, hit some gravel with the front tire at about 1-2 mph, skidded down, broke the shield. Banged up my left knee, is sore now and will be for days.

Those damn gravel and sand spots, it is not the first time, and you are on them and down before you know anything.

Back to the shield, guess I will have to order another one. Crap.

Sorry for your spill Cushmanscooter, gravel and sand are a pain in the wallet too. Sucks you broke the newest item on the bike too, mess anything else up.

That sucks, Was hoping you say no. My first spill was in sand, you would think that the sand would not do that much damage but had to replace handle bars, grip, clutch lever and master, both front and rear turn signals and front fender. I was not hurt other than my pride.

Sorry to hear about your spill but I'm glad you're ok. Been there and done that. Shields and bike parts are replaceable. Feel better.

Update Feb. 7.
I told Slipstreamer Windshields about my maiden ride with the windshield and the spill. They are sending me a new one free of charge! For me this put an extra star next to their name. Thought I would tell all you vmaxers about this. (Viper by Slipstreamer).

My left knee is still recooperating. I skidded to the left and the left went down so I guess it put my left knee in a crossways bind until I pulled it out. Road rash just below knee cap is healing.

That is about it for this thread. See ya on the road.

Latest posts

Back