Wtf!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So the other day I took off my windscreen and re-fitted the miles/kms speedo to my '86 as I had a prospective buyer coming.

Then I sit on the bike, turn on the ignition, all lights up normally, vboost cycles as usual, then I press the starter button and all I get is the oil and fuel lights :ummm::ummm: no starter motor action.:bang head:

When I flip the killswitch I can hear a relay clicking, and with killswitch set to on the vboost cycles as expected, however when hitting the starter button it behaves as if the killswitch was off.

WTF is happening? Neutral light is on, side stand is up, surely swapping the speedo couldn't do this?

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I've checked the fuses they're all good, and the main fuse is obviously ok since I get lights on / neutral light / vboost / fuel pump clicking etc..

H E L P :confused2:

In neutral, hit the start button and the lights light up but it won't start... sounds like its either the diode block or the starter relay (maybe even the starter motor) should have nothing to do with the speedo

Look for the simple solutions to begin with. Sidestand may be up, but the switch may be sticking. Check it out.
Cheers!

+1

If that doesn't solve it you can bypass the starter relay by shorting the posts where it is connected (or the pos and neg bolts on the relay). Good luck with the gremlins, they can be a nightmare at times!

My clutch switch sometimes treats me this very same way occasionally.

Also the starter button in the switch sometimes sticks and needs cleaning. The only time I had that symptom, that was the cause. Got it to work by pushing in and letting pop back out several times so I could get home.

Found the culprit - it's the blinkers relay. With the ignition on, if I pull its rubber then shake it I can hear it clicking on and off. To be fair I don't even use it for blinkers anymore (have an electronic one installed) but now I need to replace it as it still takes care of the starting system..

Hopefully Kyle has one - I'll be in FL in August!

the starting problem i thing it is caused be your clutch switch under the front clutch master cylider. the are 2 cables check if the are connected on the switch

the starting problem i thing it is caused be your clutch switch under the front clutch master cylider. the are 2 cables check if the are connected on the switch

I bypassed mine years-ago, a 3" jumper connecting the wire harness leads. If you're stupid, you could start it in-gear, or at-least, have it lurch-forward in-gear when you hit the starter. :biglaugh:

And have it fall over like the Drunk guys at the bar:rofl_200:
I haven't lost-it yet like that, from the jumper lead attached, but there's always a first! When I was at the show in Davie FL I posted-up in "Events," today (7/21-Sunday), there were a lot of people drinking alcohol constantly (predominantly a H-D crowd). I didn't drink anything but a Monster "Rehab" drink, an alternative to Gatorade. And I was able to avoid dropping my bike due to a clutch switch 'jumper.' :biglaugh: One of the women at the Slater Racing tent said, "I wonder if anyone is going to fall-over in the line of parked bikes, and set-off a chain-reaction, like dominos!" in reference to all the alcoholic consumption. Wasn't there a scene like that in one of those Clint Eastwood-chimp movies, "Every which-way but Loose?"

Yep if anyone did it would be me.
I'm too used to not worrying if its I neutral before trying to start it when its on the side stand. Or when I'm sitting on it.

Couple beers in the garage and I'm sure it would bite me in the ass.

Back