Yamaha Technicians

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower

Reaction score
I am at 32K miles and am having some drivability issues when the bike is hot. (stumble and backfire when taking off when hot and a miss or hesatation under high throttle) It is running pig rich right now.

What I am wondering is;

Would you trust a Yamaha dealership service department to tune/synch your carbs and perform the valve adjustment on your bike?

Roughly how much should this service cost.?

I am a mechanic but after working on cars 50 hours a week the last thing I want to do is tear apart my bike. I just want to ride the damn thing

I am at 32K miles and am having some drivability issues when the bike is hot. (stumble and backfire when taking off when hot and a miss or hesatation under high throttle) It is running pig rich right now.

What I am wondering is;

Would you trust a Yamaha dealership service department to tune/synch your carbs and perform the valve adjustment on your bike?

Roughly how much should this service cost.?

I am a mechanic but after working on cars 50 hours a week the last thing I want to do is tear apart my bike. I just want to ride the damn thing

I don't trust any stealer with my bikes. They hire kids out of highschool that don't know schitt to work on complicated machines. Plus they scratch the schitt out of everything because they don't care...:bang head:

What are your plugs like? Setting the carbs is easy as pie too.

You may have plug leads that are deteriorated as well. Been there seen that!

I wouldn't trust the dealership to do the carbs. It takes 5-10 minute to sync the carbs and the dealership will charge $45 minimum. As for valves, no way. Before I started working on my own the stealer checked my clearances by listening. lol

Mark

I do total rebuild for $150. Maybe I'm too cheap? lol

Mark

That doesn't sound so bad, a local shop (Rocket Boy's) quoted me $300+ to clean & sync the carbs.

Mark mentioned $45 from a dealership just to sync the carbs, not clean them.
I don't have my service manual handy, what is the service interval to check valves?

Have any of you guys heard of Wayne Pruett? He is a local guy who runs a shop out of his garage really close to me. Supposedly he is the #2 VMOA member and really good with the Max's.

Figured I'd see if anyone on here knows him or if he has a bad/good reputation in the community.

Have any of you guys heard of Wayne Pruett? He is a local guy who runs a shop out of his garage really close to me. Supposedly he is the #2 VMOA member and really good with the Max's.

Figured I'd see if anyone on here knows him or if he has a bad/good reputation in the community.

Everyone that sells Vmax stuff has a good and bad rep I think. Some have more bad then good... IE: UFO...:whistlin:

I have heard of him but that's it.

Mark mentioned $45 from a dealership just to sync the carbs, not clean them.
I don't have my service manual handy, what is the service interval to check valves?

Buster, 26,500 miles I believe is the interval for valve adjustments.

Mark

Yep, I know Wayne up in MN. His girlfriend is the MN chapter rep for the VMOA. I wouldn't hesitate to have him work on my bike.

Mark

Sweet, thanks for the replies. You guys have always been very helpfull with my noobish questions!

Latest posts

Back