Yet another 2nd gear thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-B-Boost

Reaction score
I dropped by a local shop to sked a tune up as my bike likes to cough and spit some.

I casually mentioned the 2nd gear issue (pops out) and the owner (who says he's had more than one Vmax) brought up something interesting. His brother apparently ran across a procedure for replacing 2nd without splitting the cases. He says it's a matter of popping the side cover and removing the clutch which exposes that gear.

The shop owner said he called bullshit until a video was provided. He said he hadn't done it himself but believed his brother.

Anyone hear of this?

Sean Morley will surely chime in on this one, and I'll take his word as gospel on this matter.

I say BS, if that was possible we'd all have found out about it a long time ago!

Sean Morley will surely chime in on this one, and I'll take his word as gospel on this matter.

I say BS, if that was possible we'd all have found out about it a long time ago!

until a video is provided, sorry the BS meter is pegged. Why even post this without the video or a link to the video

NO! It isn't a cassette gearbox. Some bikes, racing bikes, have a cassette gearbox where the entire gearset is loaded thru a 'window' into the side of the engine case but the VMax is NOT that design!

My blown engine is all-apart right now. I could provide pics but time for work, going to the medical examiner's office to address the county fire/EMS chiefs this morning.

Just look at the exploded diagram of the engine, there is no-way to access the gearbox w/o splitting the cases on a VMax.

This is what will fix your bad 2nd gear, an undercut transmission. You may have a bent shift fork or more, or wear on the shift drum and the selector 'star.'

Attachments

• undercut close-up.jpg
    undercut close-up.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 68
until a video is provided, sorry the BS meter is pegged. Why even post this without the video or a link to the video

Had one been available to me I'd have included it. Sorry if you didn't like my question but it does seem to have been answered.

That is some funny shit right there! Sorry but it's not possible! There is an access hole when the basket is removed but it's only a "window" and nothing goes in/out of it. The gear has to be removed from the shaft and there are bearings with locking clips and other parts that would prevent this from being able to be done.

Sorry but it's going to take some work to get done. We can help you out get a good reliable trans if/when you are ready!

This is funny,sounds like a wet dream. Good pic of the undercut gears. Sean you ought to look into the old 2nd gear set up that does not have dogs on side the gears are wider, they hold up good on high hp maxs. I having good luck with mine so far.

I dropped by a local shop to sked a tune up as my bike likes to cough and spit some.

I casually mentioned the 2nd gear issue (pops out) and the owner (who says he's had more than one Vmax) brought up something interesting. His brother apparently ran across a procedure for replacing 2nd without splitting the cases. He says it's a matter of popping the side cover and removing the clutch which exposes that gear.

The shop owner said he called bullshit until a video was provided. He said he hadn't done it himself but believed his brother.

Anyone hear of this?

I was not saying anything about you but the video
Had one been available to me I'd have included it. Sorry if you didn't like my question but it does seem to have been answered.
I would love to see the video and I sure others would also.

from KJShover post http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3147&highlight=gear+problems

Q: Second gear is shot in my Vmax, is this repair a big deal?

A: The motor needs to come out of the bike and the cases need to be split to get to the gears.
The transmission can be fixed for around $300 if you do it, $1300 or more if you were to pay a shop.

Q: I just bought a 1985 Vmax and I?m now having problems shifting into second gear. The former owner said the bike wasn?t abused, do you think he lied?

A: He may or may not be lying to you, 1985 models had an older style 2nd & 5th gear that has been replaced with better/stronger gears in later models. The older gears were prone to failure.

Q: Is gear undercutting recommended in general or mainly for Racing?

A: It only makes them better. It gives the gears a more positive mesh. If your 2nd is going out it is definitely the way to go.

So please forgive me if it seemed like I was calling you but there are a lot of threads on the 2nd issue here and I pull this one out that KJ wrote and after talking with Sean about replacing my trans with a gear reduction for 5th. I love be able to get my trans out without pulling the motor and splitting the case to do so.

Back