YGear Lowering Spring Kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxman1

Reaction score
Being a bit short, 5?7? with a 29 inseam I have always wanted to lower the Max a bit. Did the Corbin seat, took sending it back twice before they cut the foam the way I wanted it. When I first rode the Max, I was on the toes at stops, hated that feeling, bike is too heavy. With the seat replaced and now in my specs I was able to put both feet flat. But I needed a bit more, just enough to get the knee to bend.
Well I need to write a bit of a review on this item, the YGear lowering spring kit. The kit includes two front progressive springs, a rear shock with a progressive shorter spring and a kick stand. Without the kick stand, I would be flopping over. Must say I was a bit nervous as I watched the mechanic take my Max apart. Had to pull the front tubes off, and springs went in flawless. For the rear, the mechanic had to remove the swing arm to get to the shock. Once he looked back at me as I watch and said, ?Never been into a Max this deep before?. So as panic covered my face, he could see my pale appearance.
So as the final 5th hour pasted the rear wheel was installed and the Max rolled out of the shop. I reminded the mechanic (Chris) to be careful the ECU was not stock. ?Oh I remember? the grin grew on his face as he put the helmet on.
Ok Max is driving away now and is looking good, can see the lowering effect already. Here he comes around the corner, and yep once he stops, pulls off the skid lid the grin is from ear to ear as he says, ?love riding this thing?.
My turn. I thank him and pull out into to traffic. Riding just 50 yards before I need to stop and drop a foot, dang this feels good. Right turn, head north to home which is 5 miles away. Not much of a ride, rain was coming and I was not going to get wet today, been hanging around for 5 hours. WOW, this thing feels about 50 pounds lighter. Is this in my head? Ok still riding north, switching lanes and weaving side to side to feel the effect, and I am totally amazed. This feels great.
Next morning up at 4:00 AM outside to wash and check the Max out. Looking for loose bolts and/or marks and scratches. Everything was perfect, after all that work Max was good. Going to take Max out for a mountain trip to see how it handles. Off on the freeway we go (me and a riding buddy) heading for Wrightwood CA. Smooth, faster steering and comfy. Ok at freeway speeds 80-90 mph it handles great. Get off the freeway, head up the highway toward the mountain and I am feeling like I have a new scooter under me. This is amazing; the shocks feel great, no bottoming out, and no issues at all. I am pushing it now, up the hill we go, hit the corners and Max is pulling flawless. The steering feels light and very responsive. Stop for lunch and rest to talk about the ride.
Heading back we hit some passing lanes and open Max up to 130 plus, handling is excellent. Heading down the freeway to home, I took a lane with a lot of bumps to see how the progressive springs would do. I am totally happy with this modification. Wanted to do this since day one, too bad YGear items are only available in Japan and Europe. Bought this from Exactrep in the UK, thanks for listening. :punk:

Glad you was able to get the bike into a height that is suited for you. I can understand the feeling of having a new bike, that you have rode for years / a while. I am betting that you are going to be riding a bit more and a lot longer now lol. Enjoy your 'new' bike.

Back