front wavy discs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimble

Reaction score
I believe that my 1989 max has a R1 front caliper conversion.If i am wrong can you put me right on what the calipers are off (see pic).I am looking to buy front wavy discs
and i cannot seem to find any for that year.Any help locating someone who sells these appreciated.

Attachments

• front brake system.jpg
    front brake system.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 104
I maybe wrong...but yes it appears you have the R1 calipers (conversion) and 93-up rotors.

Definitely newer brake discs, older maxes has same disc front and back, non floating. Contact Sean at Morleys Muscle, he can fix you right up! His email is [email protected]

I have probrake discs on mine, european manufacturer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
Personally, I like these ones, and I shall have to order a set when I change my brake lines over to braided ones.

EBC blac V rotors (front)
Then I shall have to find a matching rear rotor...

Sean sells a little black adapter that will move the caliper on the rear out about an inch, and that way you can run a larger rotor on the rear, just like you do on the front SO ALL three will match.

You see the adapter in the first pic....and in the 2nd pic you can see the front and rear rotors.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8938_1394308717.jpg
    user8061_pic8938_1394308717.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 57
  • user8061_pic8978_1396283860 (1).jpg
    user8061_pic8978_1396283860 (1).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the info it's been very helpful.As i am going to change the discs i will also replace the tired old brake lines and new pads. Which years did Yamaha use the blue calipers?.
PS: made a $20 donation to the forum,iv'e been reading up on everything for days now and the info is endless.Thanks to all you people who share much valued info.

Well the blue calipers are called R1 calipers...because they came off an R1. There are Blue dots, and gold dots and I am wanting to say that they were used in the early 2000's.

I do know that they are a direct bolt on, although where the brake lines bolts on is in a sligtly different location than the stock calipers, making the brake lines about an inch...maybe 2 too long. But as far as mechanical goes...everything works like it should, and people just deal with the longer lines...its only an inch or 2.

Here is a pic.

On my bike I run the FZR1000 6 pot calipers. Here is a pic of those as well.

EDIT...I just noticed that you have an 89...so you will have to have an adapter to run the R1 calipers...or the FZR's. No big deal...just wanted you to know.

Attachments

• cal01.jpg
    cal01.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
  • user8061_pic8978_1396283860 (1).jpg
    user8061_pic8978_1396283860 (1).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
You do have a euro conversion bracket set (or maybe a thomas powell conversion kit). Out busa kit will do a little better but no super huge reason to swap out.

Sean sells a little black adapter that will move the caliper on the rear out about an inch, and that way you can run a larger rotor on the rear, just like you do on the front SO ALL three will match.

You see the adapter in the first pic....and in the 2nd pic you can see the front and rear rotors.

Does not look like there is much room for moving the caliper out an inch. Also, I think I saw some rear wave style that would fit a Max, just would not look like the perfect match... also, how does going to the bigger rotor in the rear effect braking?

Does not look like there is much room for moving the caliper out an inch. Also, I think I saw some rear wave style that would fit a Max, just would not look like the perfect match... also, how does going to the bigger rotor in the rear effect braking?

An inch....was a guesstimate, but you can see there IS room to move it....because I did, even on a stock wheel. The bigger rotor doesn't affect braking ability...but going to the wavy....VS stock rotor does. As I said...for this mod...its more about appearances....that way all 3 rotors match.

An inch....was a guesstimate, but you can see there IS room to move it....because I did, even on a stock wheel. The bigger rotor doesn't affect braking ability...but going to the wavy....VS stock rotor does. As I said...for this mod...its more about appearances....that way all 3 rotors match.

Going to a larger rotor will help with braking.

Going to a wave rotor is for looks imo.

I've went from round rotors to wave rotors the same diameter and it made no discernible difference but I put 330mm rotors in place of my 320mm rotors on my track bike and it made a nice improvement in braking power. I believe the motgp bikes go to the bigger rotors on some tracks to help with cooling and a bit of extra brake.

I've got buyers remorse after putting the wave rotors on the VMax..I think the round one's look better..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410248320.490673.jpghere is my pic after installing the 298 mm wavy in the rear. i plan on replacing the fronts after i get stateside to match. i noticed improved feel on the rear brake with the upgrade.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

There are stock 282mm wavies for the rear if you want to go wavy but keep stock size...

I went for wavy on front and a matching rear with the cutouts. It was already tight with my 17" wheel.

picture.php

Latest posts

Back