Gen1 VMax Tire SpreadSheet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMAN999

Reaction score
I'm updating an Old Excel Spreadsheet I downloaded from the web years ago.

I would appreciate as much info as you can give me regarding the BIAS Tires you use on your Stock Rim Equiped Gen1 VMax.
Mileage front and rear, 170 Tire fitment (was washer Swap needed), Performance Wet/ Dry/Cornering, Price, etc., etc.

I just started updating it a few days ago, so your input would be appreciated.

So please take a look at it and give me any info on the Tires you use on your VMax as possible.

Thanks.

Here's a link to Excel Viewer, in case you don't have Excel on your PC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273711

Preliminary Spreadsheet attached below (Updated 02/19/2013).

Attachments

• V-Max Tires.xlsx
    18.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Dennis,

I can't give you a lot of data but willing to share what I can at the present time.

1988 Gen 1 VMax

Stock rear rim with Shinko 230 Tour Master 170/80V-15

Stock Swing Arm: No washer swap needed and have about 3/16" clearance on left side.

Wet Performance: N/A

Dry Performance: Excellent

Cornering Performance: Confident and predictable

Price: $81.99 with free shipping

Negatives: Needs a lot of weight to balance. Static balance done.

Air Pressure: 36 PSI

Current Mileage on Tire: <500 miles

A very grippy tire. The Michelin Macadam was not nearly as planted to the road. Easily could break traction with a slight blip of the throttle on a warm road. Have not had any traction issues with the Shinko.

I hope this is helpful.

Todd

Thanks, I edited to reflect your Info.
What Front Tire are you running and can I have info on that as well ?

PS
My last three Rear Tires were Shinko TM 230 150/90V15's and I love how Grippy they are as well.
I have 100% confidence in the Twisties with them.
I ran a Mezteler LaserTec Front and have the BridgeStone Battlax BT45V up front now, both of which perform extremely well in the corners and in general.
I used the Michelin Macadam 50's (front and Rear) for years and you're right they were better than the Stock Dunlops and BridgeStones, but no where near as Sticky as the Shinkos.

I ran Shinko T230 170V15 rear and 110V18 front on my '86 and loved them all the way. Great grip in both wet and dry. In Florida the rear got mostly worn in the middle, then I took it to the tail of the dragon and put some wear on the sides too. Great cornering performance, the frame/suspension gave me trouble before the tires ever complained. Price was low - got them from BikeBandit I think and it was less than $200 for both delivered. No need for washer swap on the rear - had about 1/4" clearance on the left with stock swingarm.

On my 2000 I am now running 150/90V15 rear (only because it had to go through compliance/inspection here otherwise I would've gone 170/80 again) and 110/90V18 at the front. They're brand new and feel just as good as the first pair I had. Dunno about balancing (Kyle did it) but I will put Dynabeads in them when I have the time.

^ Thanks.
What kind of mileage are you getting out of the Front Shinko ?

^ Thanks.
Would 7-8000 Miles for the Shinko Front be a Good Estimate ?

I wonder if your mileage tabs should be added to my computational spreadsheet (showing the gear ratios and auto calculates the tire size into it.

Go for it Sean, you can use any info from this spread sheet anyway you want.
I'm not the Original Author,
I found this Tire Spread sheet online years ago and I'm just trying to get it up to date.
A lot of the Tires that were on the Original aren't even being manufactured anymore, so I figured it needed updating.
I'm hoping to get as much info as can for all the different Tires so it can be as accurate as possible.

PS
Any info (mileage, handling, etc) you can supply on Various Tires you have used over the years would be appreciated.
I figure the more input I get from VMax riders the more accurate the Spreadsheet will be when it's complete.

I have Shinko Tours on mine front and Rear , 170 80 15 rear 110 90 18 front.

Almost 5000 miles on the rear and around 4000 on the front. The rear will make it till next season, but I ll most likely change it after a few track days. I might keep it on that wheel as a spare track tire, not sure. The front should easily make 6000 miles I would think. It might go more, but its starting to cup a little though.

36 psi and I ran air soft bb's for balancing with no issues. Now that the front is starting to cup a little, I see some vibration at 95-100 mph. Below that its smooth as silk.

The Shinko is definitely the tire to get if you want a sticky tire. If you like to do rolling burnouts and things of that nature, go with a Metzler or something else that is hard like that. The Shinko doesn't do good rolling burnouts and will pull the front end up easily.

Todd

have you thought about sharing this as a google doc? it'll allow folks access to the latest/greatest as folks update it. just a thought.

Thanks for the Info Todd !!!
Spreadsheet Updated to include your info.

@ ninja,
It's an Excel Spreadsheet so any PC user can view it as it is.
Here's a link to Excel Viewer, in case you don't have Excel on your PC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273711

So, if people post info here I will update it as they do and you will always have access to the most recent version in the first post.

But if you want to post it as a Google Doc, definitely feel free to do that, it may benefit some users.
As I stated earlier, anyone can use this Spreadsheet anyway they want.
So feel free to post it anywhere you want.

I'd have to disagree about the Venoms....I found them to have horrible wet traction....there's no center tread on most of the tire, how can they? In the dry they were so-so at best. The Marathons that replaced them were far superior in every way.

I got about 6k out of the Venom rear, before a chunk of tread the size of a fingernail simply came off, showing cords underneath. It was pretty much bald anyway.

I got 7500 out of the Marathon 170 rear. No washer swap needed.

I had close to 11k on the marathon 110 front. It was worn, but wearing pretty evenly (no cupping or chunks falling off) After another 2-3k I probably would have called it done.

Pretty much everyone in our group with cruisers runs the Marathons and the "2 rears to 1 front" rule holds pretty true.

I'd have to disagree about the Venoms....I found them to have horrible wet traction....there's no center tread on most of the tire, how can they? In the dry they were so-so at best. The Marathons that replaced them were far superior in every way.

I got about 6k out of the Venom rear, before a chunk of tread the size of a fingernail simply came off, showing cords underneath. It was pretty much bald anyway.

I got 7500 out of the Marathon 170 rear. No washer swap needed.

I had close to 11k on the marathon 110 front. It was worn, but wearing pretty evenly (no cupping or chunks falling off) After another 2-3k I probably would have called it done.

Pretty much everyone in our group with cruisers runs the Marathons and the "2 rears to 1 front" rule holds pretty true.
I downgraded the Avon Venom to Poor Wet traction and upped the Milage to 5000 to reflect your input.
And your ME880 Info is pretty much inline with what everyone else stated.
Thanks for the Info.

On my chopper, I had Zero problems with the Venoms. In rain or dry pavement. The bike put down 140hp and 140 tq to the ground, via a belt drive and a 3" primary. I was rolling about 20mph and hammered it the tire bit then I shredded a bunch of my spokes.

The Metz 880 seems to be an ok tire for my Vmax, I can pick and choose ifs it's going to break or not. It is a durable tire :punk: I've beat up in it and its still showing great life.

Now the stocker brigestone that mine came with, not impressed. I ate mine up in the first summer. My friend Sam's bike eats a Dunlop every summer as well. He just made the switch to the ME880 at the end of this last season.

A real sweetheart of a tire back in the 80's was the Metz comp K. That was a sticky, grippy piece of tire goodness. :clapping: It took all the big bore, nitrous fed hoolaganism from my XS11 I could throw at it. Now I think they're only available in slick form. I would love to have them on my Max now.

Attachments

• P1010365.jpg
    P1010365.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040069.jpg
    P1040069.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 22
  • SamsMax.jpg
    SamsMax.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
Back