later semi floating discs on earlier models..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
I've been working on the exercise of making my own discs and really preferred a semi-floating setup which is time consuming and involves some expense if I make my own.

There are some cheap semi-floating discs sold on ebay that are cheaper than what I could make which will fit later models but not mine, they are sold in pairs obviously. So I had this idea of being able to adapt them to my bike by machining down the diameter.
I have a guy here who expressed interest in doing an upgrade to his brakes also, so what we did was buy 3 pairs between us so we could split them up making a pair for the front and one for the rear each making it cost effective.

We got them ok and upon taking measurements I found it was quite a bit of surgery to make it work because the disc pad would want to interfere with the rivets on the disc if I machined just the diameter. After some thought I designed an adapter bracket off the original setup as we both still want to use our original calipers. So I drew it and sent the dxf file to a guy with a laser cutter and we got the brackets cut out. I machined spacers which make it all bolt together and I have tested it on my bike and it seems great. So we did it without having to touch the disc at all.
I'm getting them chromed next week and will also do the rear disc, which I'll get some pictures on completion.
brakes004Large.jpg

Looks very good, Jedi!

Would be very interested in the rear brake set up. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it.

Mike

Love your work Jedi.

Your Max looks very distinctive and a has lot of street cred. :punk:

Got the adaptor plates back from chrome now and finally got the rear on tonight. The brakes feel great.
I might get some better pics on the weekend.

Attachments

• brakes 007 (Medium).jpg
    brakes 007 (Medium).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 66
Got the adaptor plates back from chrome now and finally got the rear on tonight. The brakes feel great.
I might get some better pics on the weekend.

Hey Jedi, very creative way of doing it - looks great - mark me down for a rear set - need to change the rear rotor anyways - so will go with larger one that matches my front ones.

Mike

I'd be interested in the adaptor myself, I'm looking to put a matching rotor on the back as well. I don't even need it finished, I'll just powdercoat it black up here.

Nice - that's an uber-cool price compared to the usual Galfers!

Now Jedi, can you make more of those adapters for an '86?

Can you make more of those adapters for an '1992?

The adaptors would fit anything prior to 1993. The rear adaptor is exactly the same as the fronts.

I dealt directly with the guy based in Hong Kong for the discs. Because we ordered 3 pairs I got a slight price break for freight to his e-bay advertised pricing.

So far I'm delighted with the performance and the guy who purchased the other set of discs will be fitting his shortly so I'll get evaluation of it all soon.

They will allow the larger diam rotors on the front but they still have the stock 2 piston calipers. They look nice all over and the rear already has more brakes then you can ever use!

Sean

Yea I'm happy with the stock calipers' stopping power, but know I will need to replace my rotors in the near future as they're getting thin, so would love to go with the wave ones!

Same for the rear - enough breaking power there, but eventually that second-hand rotor I got will need renewing and a wave one would look great, weigh less and break the same.

But I need those adaptors! Jedi?

OK I definitely want a pair to start with, not chromed. Was that NZ$ or US$ you quoted? Please gimme a total in US$ inc. shipping to USA - zip code 33609. I'll paypal the moolah over to ya.

Redbone, you want a set too? If so, let's get'em together and save on shipping - it'll be way cheaper to ship both sets at once from NZ, and then one set across the US!

Anyone else wants in?

Last edited:
Was that NZ$ or US$ you quoted

USD. I'm not sure of freight I'd have to check at the PO but stuff I've sent before was pretty cheap.

Got some more pics,

Attachments

• brakes 008 (Large).jpg
    brakes 008 (Large).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 29
  • brakes 012 (Large).jpg
    brakes 012 (Large).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
  • brakes 013 (Large).jpg
    brakes 013 (Large).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
  • brakes 014 (Large).jpg