engine re-coat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxxx

Reaction score
looking for info on re-coating/painting engine on my max. has any one any had good results from particular etch primers, heat resistant paints etc. what brands work best with out having to cure complete engine in an oven.

thanks

I'm interested in this too - mine could really do with a re-coat, and I would love to be able to do it right without having to disturb every cover and replace gaskets..

I have had pretty good luck with just using a good engine paint from a spray can. Will it hold up like powder coat? No. But you can make it look good and will last several years.

Black fingernail polish works good for touching up chips etc.

+1 there are several high heat paints out there, Krylon, VHT.... I've even seen great results with grill paint.

Here are a few pictures of the engine I painted on XL600R. In the last picture I recoated the engine case with Duplicolor bed coat liner. This is very good paint for detailing just about anything black and gives a mat finish. It is very durable. I used it on the belly pan on my gold wing and have had no chips in 5 years.

Attachments

• P1010137-1.jpg
    P1010137-1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010136-1.jpg
    P1010136-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34
  • XL1.jpg
    XL1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27
Here are a few pictures of the engine I painted on XL600R. In the last picture I recoated the engine case with Duplicolor bed coat liner. This is very good paint for detailing just about anything black and gives a mat finish. It is very durable. I used it on the belly pan on my gold wing and have had no chips in 5 years.

Nice thumper. I have the XL500r. Stump pullin' wheelie poppin' power...

looking for info on re-coating/painting engine on my max. has any one any had good results from particular etch primers, heat resistant paints etc. what brands work best with out having to cure complete engine in an oven.

thanks

Dupli-Color 500 deg. high temp engine enamel is the way to go. Although I had excellent results with marine outboard engine paint on my Super Magna. Painted it almost 5 years ago and it has remained in great condition.

Last edited:
I KNOW Kloker used VHT and HATES it...

I saw his bike after washing it a couple years ago...

He was NOT a happy camper.

Chris

So my engine paint looks mostly ok, but the front covers on both sides especially and the coolant elbow look all chipped and dreadful.

Do I have a way to fix that successfully with the engine in situ, or is the only way to do this right to drop the motor, get rid of all the old paint with stripper and then respray the whole thing from scratch?

I know the other thing I could do is to remove the covers on both sides, then strip and paint them only, but I'm reluctant to disturb all these bolts and gaskets on a perfectly running bike with no guarantee that the new black will match the old..

So my engine paint looks mostly ok, but the front covers on both sides especially and the coolant elbow look all chipped and dreadful.

Do I have a way to fix that successfully with the engine in

A little patience, some sanding or stripping, and some carefull masking and covering. Think of it as doing a spot repair in an autobody shop.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will show the results of my use of Rustoleum's "Professional" High Performance Enamel paint with matching primer. The can is 15 oz and has a nice spray pattern. Coverage is very high. I prefer a mist coat and two top coats but I have gotten away with a mist and single coat on a few smaller items. It seems to dry hard. I cannot attest to it's long term performance though. I have painted some complex objects and have yet to cause a run. It is available at your local Lowes/Depot stores. Price is reasonable. I have only used high gloss black but it comes in flats and other colors. Sure makes the ol' 85 sparkle! PATMAX:punk:

If I can figure out how to post pics I will show the results of my use of Rustoleum's "Professional" High Performance Enamel paint with matching primer. The can is 15 oz and has a nice spray pattern. Coverage is very high. I prefer a mist coat and two top coats but I have gotten away with a mist and single coat on a few smaller items. It seems to dry hard. I cannot attest to it's long term performance though. I have painted some complex objects and have yet to cause a run. It is available at your local Lowes/Depot stores. Price is reasonable. I have only used high gloss black but it comes in flats and other colors. Sure makes the ol' 85 sparkle! PATMAX:punk:

I would be interested in this also as im thinking of doing the covers on mine next winter

Ok, does anyone know what color the 06 and 07 engine paint is, looks like charcoal gray:confused2:
Any one with an idea or where to buy touch up would be great, I have boot wear marks I would like to touch up. If not I guess It chrome time:biglaugh:.

On our conversion engines we put them together and have them bead blasted then I have them painted at the body shop. They use an almost plastic based paint which holds up incredibly well. I think I charge $300 for that service. You should be able to get it done locally for around the same amount.

I have powdercoated them but that is an extreme amount of work.

Sean

If you are patient and don't want to go to the trouble of dropping the motor you can do an acceptable job with engine paint.

Attachments

• P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010121.jpg
    P1010121.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010131.jpg
    P1010131.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 49
I'm interested in this too - mine could really do with a re-coat, and I would love to be able to do it right without having to disturb every cover and replace gaskets..

you might be better to remove covers paint and then replace with new gaskets because if you paint everything in one go and then need to remove a cover for whatever reason at a later date there is a good chance you will chip or damage paint around bolts and joint

I had a guy powder coat his engine silver with a clear coat. His carbs overflowed while the engine was hot and it yellowed the the clear coat. Use paint you will be better off.

TC

Back