"oil pressure gauge"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I INSTALLED AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE FROM WWW.CYCLEONEOFF.COM
WHAT A REEL NICE PIECE ! THE NEW FITTING THAT GOES INTO THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK IS NOT RECESSED FOR AN "O" RING , IT TAKES A GASKET , THE ONE THAT COMES WITH IT IS SOME TYPE OF PRESSED PAPER OR CARDBOARD , WE HAVE THEM AT WORK , I DON'T USE THEM BECAUSE NO MATTER HOW TIGHT YOU MAKE THEM AT FIRST , THEY GET COMPRESSED & THE FITTING BECOMES LOOSE & LEAKS , SAME WITH DRAIN PLUGS AT WORK ! SO I NEVER USE THEM ! MY FITTING LEAKED ON MY MAX & IT NEVER EVEN LEFT MY TRAILER ! NOT THAT I COULDN'T OF JUST RETIGHTEND THE FITTING , BUT I DON'T LIKE THOSE TYPE OF GASKETS ANYWAY ! SO WENT TO MY SHOP & WENT THROUGH HUNDREDS OF COPPER - PLASTIC & ALUMINUM GASKETS , & IN ONE FOREIGN CAR DRAW , THERE IT WAS , SUBARU DRAIN PLUG GASKET #11126AA000 , ITS JUST LIKE A STEEL SPARK PLUG GASKET THAT CRUSHES , IT FITS & WORKED PERFECTLY ! I'M MAILING ONE TO DANNYMAX THIS WEEK BECAUSE HIS IS LEAKING ALSO ! BUT DONT GET ME WRONG , THAT OIL PRESSURE GAUGE IS A GREAT PIECE & IS WORTH DOUBLE THE $ THAT TOM GETS !...:punk:

Thanks for the tip Tim! I just ordered a oil pressure gauge from Tom also so I'll be on the lookout for any leaks. My nearest Subaru dealer is 2.5 hrs away but may make for a nice Saturday trip to pick one up as I could see 3 of the 5 great lakes while riding!

Thanks for the tip Tim! I just ordered a oil pressure gauge from Tom also so I'll be on the lookout for any leaks. My nearest Subaru dealer is 2.5 hrs away but may make for a nice Saturday trip to pick one up as I could see 3 of the 5 great lakes while riding!

Brian....something else we're discussing is using the OEM plug (with o-ring) and drill & tap, (bush down if necessary), to accept the elbow provided by Tom. Not sure yet how much material is in that area of the stock plug, but if there's enough to acheive good thread depth I'll be trying it this week.

This is the only issue with Tom's gauge, otherwise it is a first rate piece that functions beautifully.

installing my COO oil gauge this week. i may have to take a trip down to the local subaru dealer for that gasket. i'll see if they have 'em in stock.

have others been perfectly fine w/the cardboard washer?

also.. how tight did u guys put the plug and then the elbow?

installing my COO oil gauge this week. i may have to take a trip down to the local subaru dealer for that gasket. i'll see if they have 'em in stock.

have others been perfectly fine w/the cardboard washer?

also.. how tight did u guys put the plug and then the elbow?

The idea of modifying the stock plug didn't work out due to there not being enough material in the plug to drill and tap, which prolly explains why Tom didn't go this route in the first place.

I tightened my plug with cardboard gasket very tight, the elbow, not so tight as you have tapered pipe threads and thread sealing tape (suitable for petroleum products-pink) to insure no leaks.

I had no leaks with the 90 deg elbow but did with the plug.....a couple drops. I retightened the plug at least a month ago and have had no problems since.

Coprunner's bringing me a copper one this weekend when he comes up for the Brownie Run so I won't have to be concerned about this any more.

This gasket issue in no way detracts from the first rate quality of this glycerin filled gauge, as CR said...it's a top quality instrument.

Thanks for the tip Tim! I just ordered a oil pressure gauge from Tom (April 6) also so I'll be on the lookout for any leaks. My nearest Subaru dealer is 2.5 hrs away but may make for a nice Saturday trip to pick one up as I could see 3 of the 5 great lakes while riding!
I'm still waiting for my Oil pressure gauge, sliders and custom shift light mount from COO. Some problem with the shift light mount that was sent out to be powder coated. I hope it gets here before the Icebreaker. The run down is going to be close to 500 miles.

The idea of modifying the stock plug didn't work out due to there not being enough material in the plug to drill and tap, which prolly explains why Tom didn't go this route in the first place.

I tightened my plug with cardboard gasket very tight, the elbow, not so tight as you have tapered pipe threads and thread sealing tape (suitable for petroleum products-pink) to insure no leaks.

I had no leaks with the 90 deg elbow but did with the plug.....a couple drops. I retightened the plug at least a month ago and have had no problems since.

Coprunner's bringing me a copper one this weekend when he comes up for the Brownie Run so I won't have to be concerned about this any more.

This gasket issue in no way detracts from the first rate quality of this glycerin filled gauge, as CR said...it's a top quality instrument.

thanks for the info danny. i'll call the local subaru place tomorrow, part looks pretty cheap online, so it can't be too too much at the dealer
http://www.brandsport.com/sub-11126aa000.html

i want this all installed b4 the trip this weekend...

Danny, any idea torque wise how tight its on now and how tight you had it originally

Tim, with the new washer, how tight did ya have to have it?

thanks as always guys!

Mine started weeping fluid in the first 12 months...I filled it once with compass fluid (Ritchie? brand). Kept it for two years.
I ditched my COO gauge and modded my cluster.
I didn't have the handlebar mount and hated looking down at my pressure, plus it wasn't illuminated.
I am still using Tom's fittings though.......no leaks at that gasket --- ever --- yet!

thanks for the info danny. i'll call the local subaru place tomorrow, part looks pretty cheap online, so it can't be too too much at the dealer
http://www.brandsport.com/sub-11126aa000.html

i want this all installed b4 the trip this weekend...

Danny, any idea torque wise how tight its on now and how tight you had it originally

Tim, with the new washer, how tight did ya have to have it?

thanks as always guys!

I really don't have an answer for you Garrett...it's kind of a 'feels right' torque. :confused2:

Mine started weeping fluid in the first 12 months...I filled it once with compass fluid (Ritchie? brand). Kept it for two years.
I ditched my COO gauge and modded my cluster.
I didn't have the handlebar mount and hated looking down at my pressure, plus it wasn't illuminated.
I am still using Tom's fittings though.......no leaks at that gasket --- ever --- yet!

I have a problem with that also Andrew. The Simpson Fury helmet has a large chin piece and I have to tip my head way down to see the gauge. I'm sending it back to Tom to be retro-fitted to a handlebar mount.

I really don't have an answer for you Garrett...it's kind of a 'feels right' torque. :confused2:

thanks anyways danny. i was trying to find the torque value for the galley plug itself but no luck on the service manual. anyone know what the rating is for that plug?

local subaru shop has 1200 in stock. hahah. i am going to pick a couple up for myself...

if anyone needs one let me know by 3:30 i can pick 'em up after work and mail 'em out. dont worry about the costs, they're like $.75 apiece!

local subaru shop has 1200 in stock. hahah. i am going to pick a couple up for myself...

if anyone needs one let me know by 3:30 i can pick 'em up after work and mail 'em out. dont worry about the costs, they're like $.75 apiece!

You know, every once in awhile something comes along that is SOOO worth the price!!!!! $.75 to not have to see a drop of oil under your beloved V Max..........WOW!!!

You know, every once in awhile something comes along that is SOOO worth the price!!!!! $.75 to not have to see a drop of oil under your beloved V Max..........WOW!!!

ur all set right danny?

ok so i'll grab a couple for redbone, one for vmaxride06, and a couple for myself.

i'll grab a few extra incase anyone else needs 'em down the road... however if anyone needs them def let me know in the next 30 mins ish..

Garrett, Bring me a couple too please. Timmy's bringing one, but a spare or two ain't a bad thing.

Thanks,
danny

u got it... u have a bunch of guys over for the weekend, i bring u $1.50 in parts.. i think ur loosing out on this deal!

Back