"oil pressure gauge"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so i'll grab a couple for redbone, one for vmaxride06, and a couple for myself.

i'll grab a few extra incase anyone else needs 'em down the road... however if anyone needs them def let me know in the next 30 mins ish..
Thanks a bucnh Garrett! You da man!:punk:

i got a dozen for $13.. haha good deal!!

anyways
2 - redbone
2 - danny
2 - me
1 - vmaxride06

that leaves 5 unaccounted for. if anyone needs one speak up!

just gotta say the oil pressure gauge went on great! used the crush washer and don't have any leaks it appears, altho i may give it another 1/16 turn when i get home...

the elbow joint was kind of a pain to turn by hand but i got it tight by hand and it was facing the wrong way so i gave it another 1/2 turn and no leaks...

the only problem (my own damn fault) was i assumed just a few turns on where the gauge line connects to the elbow was enough. not the case. this needs to be screwed on until it butts against the elbow, you will feel it!

so when i first started it up i had a bit of a geyser, but no leaks at this point. possibly one little droplet on the galley plug but i'll tighten that later..

oh hey also redbone, um.. to make a long story short your crush washers are in the mail but its going to be a few days. they got sent in a package to central NY but once the package gets there your envelope will be mailed...

just gotta say the oil pressure gauge went on great! used the crush washer and don't have any leaks it appears, altho i may give it another 1/16 turn when i get home...

the elbow joint was kind of a pain to turn by hand but i got it tight by hand and it was facing the wrong way so i gave it another 1/2 turn and no leaks...

the only problem (my own damn fault) was i assumed just a few turns on where the gauge line connects to the elbow was enough. not the case. this needs to be screwed on until it butts against the elbow, you will feel it!

so when i first started it up i had a bit of a geyser, but no leaks at this point. possibly one little droplet on the galley plug but i'll tighten that later..

oh hey also redbone, um.. to make a long story short your crush washers are in the mail but its going to be a few days. they got sent in a package to central NY but once the package gets there your envelope will be mailed...
It's all good Garrett, I still do not have any of my parts I ordered from COO. Tom said he thinks he mailed them though.
Would have liked to have the parts on for this weekend's run...will wait patiently.....I'm sure the shift light mount that Tom made up for me will be da bomb!:clapping:

It's all good Garrett, I still do not have any of my parts I ordered from COO. Tom said he thinks he mailed them though.
Would have liked to have the parts on for this weekend's run...will wait patiently.....I'm sure the shift light mount that Tom made up for me will be da bomb!:clapping:

sweet...

hey did anyone else have a problem with the bracket that goes on the water pump cover the edge that touches the bolt torquing down with the bolt? Mine kept bending no mater what i put there, i will try again today in the light, but it was kind of a pain! still has the bend in it. not doing any harm tho as the cable still can move freely.

sweet...

hey did anyone else have a problem with the bracket that goes on the water pump cover the edge that touches the bolt torquing down with the bolt? Mine kept bending no mater what i put there, i will try again today in the light, but it was kind of a pain! still has the bend in it. not doing any harm tho as the cable still can move freely.

I have a grinding wheel and the lift standing by....we can operate this weekend if you like!! :biglaugh:

I have a grinding wheel and the lift standing by....we can operate this weekend if you like!! :biglaugh:

haha, i hope we dont' have the time or weather where we're left to coming up with impromptu projects!

so after i got to work today i checked under the new galley plug and theres a bit of oil there. doesn't seem to be dripping tho...

so anyways got home and put a 17mm open end to it and have it torqued pretty good, doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. backed it off and tightened it again (backing it off made it worse) but i'm putting a good amount of force on it and its still weaping a bit of oil. nothing that seems to make it drip if i idle it in the carport or give it some gas up to 6k rpms...

is this normal or should i keep trying to tighten it? i'm using the subaru crush washer, maybe try the cardboard one? but u guys all said u were having problems with those too...

i'm worried i'm putting too much umpf into it b/c the galley plug only uses something like 15 ft lbs and i'm way past that...

thoughts? or am i just paranoid about a little bit of oil... i'd say after a minute of idling theres maybe a small drop on my hand if i put it on the galley plug, nothing on the ground...

TRY CLEANING THE FITTING OFF WITH BRAKE CLEAN TO MAKE SURE ITS NOT RESIDUAL OIL FROM CHANGING EVERYTHING ! WHEN I DID MY "O" RING FIX & TOOK IT FOR A RIDE , THE ENTIRE EDGE AROUND THE OIL PAN WAS WET ! WELL LET ME TELL YOU " I SHIT " & WAS LIKE NO FUCKING WAY ! BUT I KNEW THAT I WAS CAREFULL WHEN I SCRAPED OFF THE GASKET & CLEANED EVERYTHING & TORQUED EVERYTHING 7 TIMES ! SO I CLEANED IT ALL OFF WITH BRAKE CLEAN & HAVE GONE 60 MILES & NOT A WISP OF OIL ! IT WAS ALL JUST RESIDUAL ! ( THANK GOD )...:eusa_dance:

TRY CLEANING THE FITTING OFF WITH BRAKE CLEAN TO MAKE SURE ITS NOT RESIDUAL OIL FROM CHANGING EVERYTHING ! WHEN I DID MY "O" RING FIX & TOOK IT FOR A RIDE , THE ENTIRE EDGE AROUND THE OIL PAN WAS WET ! WELL LET ME TELL YOU " I SHIT " & WAS LIKE NO FUCKING WAY ! BUT I KNEW THAT I WAS CAREFULL WHEN I SCRAPED OFF THE GASKET & CLEANED EVERYTHING & TORQUED EVERYTHING 7 TIMES ! SO I CLEANED IT ALL OFF WITH BRAKE CLEAN & HAVE GONE 60 MILES & NOT A WISP OF OIL ! IT WAS ALL JUST RESIDUAL ! ( THANK GOD )...:eusa_dance:

thanks tim..

i think i figured it out....

since the subaru washer is slightly bigger, it needs to be seated evenly. the first one i used i did in the dark and it didn't seat 100% right. did it again (i KNEW THERE WAS A REASON I GOT 12) haha.. and it seems to be fine... 99% sure this did the trick...

will find out for sure after the 50 miles or so i'll put on her tomorrow.

after 20 miles to work, the elbow into the plug and the gauge line to the elbow are fine, as before. there is a tiny tiny tiny amt of oil out of the galley plug. i will probably try to do another little bit more of a turn when i get back home. much better than before tho!

EDIT:

Hey tim, with the crush washer how much did you torque the sucker down? i got a 14" open end 17mm that i give quite a bit of omfph into...

still have a couple. incase anyone wants one. and to answer my last question Tim said quite a bit!

Brian....something else we're discussing is using the OEM plug (with o-ring) and drill & tap, (bush down if necessary), to accept the elbow provided by Tom. Not sure yet how much material is in that area of the stock plug, but if there's enough to acheive good thread depth I'll be trying it this week.

This is the only issue with Tom's gauge, otherwise it is a first rate piece that functions beautifully.

I used the stock plug as well, drilled it out and tapped it for a S.S. elbow from the intrument fittings at work.

It has never leaked in 30,000 miles

There's plenty of meat in this area if you drill and tap it carefully and just remember that any elbow you screw in to it is going to be a taper thread and therefore will never fully "seat" it simply keeps getting tighter the harder you screw it in.

I mention this because I've had seen plenty of air compressors at work with cracked
blocks due to over tightening of the oil fill or oil drain plug and these are cast iron.

Last edited:
I used the stock plug as well, drilled it out and tapped it for a S.S. elbow from the intrument fittings at work.

It has never leaked in 30,000 miles

There's plenty of meat in this area if you drill and tap it carefully and just remeber that any elbow you screw in to it is going to be a taper thread and therefore will never fully "seat" it simply keeps getting tighter the harder you crew it in.

I mention this because I've had seen plenty of air compressors at work with cracked
blocks due to over tightening of the oil fill or oil drain plug and these are cast iron.

Thanks for the info Rusty, I've had the gasket material washer on for about 3K now and, other than the initial re-tightening, have had no problems.

But I would prefer to use the OEM plug with the o ring....there's never any problem with them.

You're absolutely right on the tapered pipe threads, too tight, they act just like a wedge....gotta be careful with them.

danny

still have a couple. incase anyone wants one. and to answer my last question Tim said quite a bit!

I'll take one. I can paypal you a few bucks for shipping and trouble. My scooby dealer has been closed for almost 2 weeks and has an empty lot.

pm me your shipping addy. and i'm not gonna charge ya anything! thnx for the offer tho.

Back