02 vmax soo close

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplemango

Reaction score
I recently changed out the engine on my 2002 vmax the bike sat for a little over 2 years. When trying to start the new motor it wont start.
I dont think im getting fuel out of the carbs, When i disconnect the fuel pump line to the carbs it spits gas out just fine and i can hear the pump running, When i connect it back i cant hear the pump run anymore and it wont fire up, I took a flashlight and couldnt see any fuel going down and saw nothing. Any suggestions?
Im sooo close to being back on the road again i can taste it. I have also have a new battery and it coughed once when i tried to start it pouring gas down the carbs so i think i have good spark. Thank you in advance for any help!

You can check spark, by pulling the plugs, replacing the caps and holding the plug end on the bare engine casing. Also, check the plug gaps with a feeler gauge maybe?

I recently changed out the engine on my 2002 vmax the bike sat for a little over 2 years. When trying to start the new motor it wont start.
I dont think im getting fuel out of the carbs, When i disconnect the fuel pump line to the carbs it spits gas out just fine and i can hear the pump running, When i connect it back i cant hear the pump run anymore and it wont fire up, I took a flashlight and couldnt see any fuel going down and saw nothing. Any suggestions?
Im sooo close to being back on the road again i can taste it. I have also have a new battery and it coughed once when i tried to start it pouring gas down the carbs so i think i have good spark. Thank you in advance for any help!

Did the carbs sit for two years?

Pull the plugs in the float bowls and verify fuel is getting past the needles and seats, like Jdk203 mentioned, if the carbs have been sitting for a long time they may need to be cleaned, carefull about putting fuel down the carbs, I have seen a few fires in my time, keep us informed...........

SUCCESS ! i tried spraying a little carb cleaner while staring and vrooom! I guess i was getting fuel, It was a little rough for about a minute or two but cleared up and now starts with ease, Thanks for all the responses.

Make sure you put a new fuel filter on it and take on some progressively longer shakedown runs. After that detail her real nice and come on down to Daytona in March to show off your new steed! The more Vmaxes the merrier!

Back