03' running issue HELP

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroked385camaro

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 Vmax that wont run without the choke on. When the bike is cold it will start with the choke on and high idle but as soon as you back the choke off it with sputter and die. If the bike is running with the choke on and you touch the throttle at all it will sputter and die. The bike will not start unless the choke is on. I've checked the fuel filter and it seems good, it's not clogged. the bike has approx. 12,500 miles on it.

Any advice or points in any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2003 Vmax that wont run without the choke on. When the bike is cold it will start with the choke on and high idle but as soon as you back the choke off it with sputter and die. If the bike is running with the choke on and you touch the throttle at all it will sputter and die. The bike will not start unless the choke is on. I've checked the fuel filter and it seems good, it's not clogged. the bike has approx. 12,500 miles on it.

Any advice or points in any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Time for a good carb cleaning! http://www.vmaxforum.net/local_links.php?catid=1&filter=&sort=N&page=1&pp=40&keyid=50

Oh and WELCOME!

yea.... i bet that would help out most of the problems.

maybe some seafoam once done!?!?!?!?!?:worthy:

I got a little carried away with my last 'shotgun' proceedure and squirted way too much carb cleaner into way too many orifaces. (my butt is still burning :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:) Somehow ruined the rubber diaphrams in the coasting enricheners assembles. Ouch! Seems like the new diaphrams were $30 some bucks a carb. Don't make that mistake, or if someone already has, be sure to check those out if you pull the carbs.

Mine has been running like a champ after replacing them and reassembly this last time.

Sounds like they have the right links for you. I noticed your screen name. I just picked up my Camaro after waiting 4 years to get it finished up. It's also a stroker but don't remember if we did the 383 of 385 kit. It is a 95 Camaro that started out as an LT1 car. The engine started leaking at the head gasket (we thought) and we replaced it with a 96 LT4 gransport engine then we supercharged too. It didn't like it (though the power was incredible), popped a head gasket and ate a piston. So now it's 383+ cubic inches of procharged monster. I have to get it tuned in yet and only have 150 or so miles on it.

Sean

I know bad coasting enrichment diaphrams can cause backfiring on decel, but what specific driveability problems can they cause ?

Thanks guys for the info. I'll try the "shotgun" procedures.

one2dmax- sounds like you have a really mean setup there. You'll have to post some numbers when you get it tuned and some dyno pulls.

I know bad coasting enrichment diaphrams can cause backfiring on decel, but what specific driveability problems can they cause ?

Rich, if they are stuck open then it would cause the pilot mixture to be rich. I have never seen enricheners that dirty though.

One of mine was completely eaten up by the carb cleaner and had a huge hole where no hole was supposed to be and plugged up the passage where air was supposed to flow. The other three were in various stages of being eaten up, but were probably still allowing some air flow.

My bike would start on wide open choke and scream up to about 4500rpms. But it wouldn't go below full choke at all. It would just choke down and die when you tried to remove any amount of choke. In fact, after disassembly, I couldn't figure out how something called a 'coasting enrichener' assembly could have such a profound impact upon the runability of my entire motor.

Of course, while I had to re-remove the carbs, I made double darn sure to blow all the passages out again before reassembly the second time. Nothing to say for sure I didn't have a huge chunk of goo from one of those diaphrams stuck in another jet somewhere. I just didn't see anything like that anywhere except up inside the 'coasting enrichener assembly' area.

Back