06, Knocking front fork?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
hey there all, I have an 06...and I noticed today over some heavy cracks in the road, the front forks seem to knock. To verify I sat on the bike with the front brake locked and " rocked " back and forth pushing down and pulling up on the handlebar and it is definately knocking. I usually run my forks at 9 psi when riding solo, and 13 psi when carrying a passenger. Well.......today I also went to let some air outta the front fork ( going solo ) and noticed fork oil came out of the valve.

Is all this normal?

OhHHH forgot to mention...I did try some wheelie attempts and came down a little hard....not sure if this would cause anything??

P.S I'm upgrading to Progressives soon

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

A little fork oil is normal especially if you've been doing wheelies...

My buddy's '94 used to do the same knocking thing as well. We just installed Prog. springs and dropped it 2 inches and when apart the only thing we could think is that the spring was hitting the side of the fork ever once and a while for some odd reason.:confused2:

I too have a K6 but never heard that sound as stock and def. don't here it now...:thumbs up:

Nice Bike you have by the way, done perfectly.

so you think I shouldnt worry about it then...the fork oil from the air valve is normal?

I have those progressive's on order...much to putting them in?? I'm sick of the wobbles..I hope thy cure it!

I have heard knocking in the front end when the bearings are set too loose.Several times.

Never on a new bike though just mine.Usually after having the triple trees apart.I would bet that after doing some wheelies that you seated the bearings the whole way and now it should be tightened up some.I used to bounce test mine but now I just tighten them till it starts the low speed wobble then back it off a fuzz and lock it down.I can live with a low speed wobble but a high speed tank slapper is not a lot of fun.

Anybody have any good links for him on the bounce test adjustment?

Last edited:
I have heard knocking in the front end when the bearings are set too loose.Several times.

Never on a new bike though just mine.Usually after having the triple trees apart.I would bet that after doing some wheelies that you seated the bearings the whole way and now it should be tightened up some.I used to bounce test mine but now I just tighten them till it starts the low speed wobble then back it off a fuzz and lock it down.I can live with a low speed wobble but a high speed tank slapper is not a lot of fun.

You might be right Shawn. I put the 3 dollar aluminum washer in my head stock also known as the "furbur fix." http://md.co.za/vmax/furbur.htm last year and when apart I torqued everything down well... I'm not big on wheelies though and I think it's only come up once under acceleration. That is the price you pay for being fat!:bang head: :clapping:

Hi, I thought it could be loose head bearings as well...so I pulled the clamp off, re-torqued the nut, performed that bounce test ( let the handlebar fall to the left/right just to eliminate the bounce ) but the problem is still there....knocking noise sounds like its coming from inside the fork. My buddies 85 ( stock ) doesn't have that problem at all.

Anyone else have a problem like this???

Hi, I thought it could be loose head bearings as well...so I pulled the clamp off, re-torqued the nut, performed that bounce test ( let the handlebar fall to the left/right just to eliminate the bounce ) but the problem is still there....knocking noise sounds like its coming from inside the fork. My buddies 85 ( stock ) doesn't have that problem at all.

Anyone else have a problem like this???

Sounds like the only way to find out is to break into them and see for yourself...

Sometimes when I come home and pulling in the driveway - There is a cement gutter I have to go over, I'll hear the front end recoil a bit. It does bother me but the bike runs smooth with no wobbles up to 125mph. I have not taken it past this speed so I don't know how it handles beyond that.

I know the fork springs suck on a stock bike and I too plan on replacing them eventually, but the wobbles your getting is probably not from your forks but rather your bearings or torque adjustments.

If your getting oil coming out the air valve - my guess is it isn't normal, it says in the manual 14psi max or oil seal damage may occur. Wheelies, I'm sure you know will not help any.

Hi i have the same problem ,brake into a corner, as the suspension ecstends coming out the forks clunk . bouncing the bike with the brake on and the clunking definetely comes from the forks, I think I will have to rebuild the forks:stickyman:
I have progressive springs fitted and have tried with or without air theforks dont appear to be wobbly (back and forward) time will tell.

Hi i have the same problem ,brake into a corner, as the suspension ecstends coming out the forks clunk . bouncing the bike with the brake on and the clunking definetely comes from the forks, I think I will have to rebuild the forks:stickyman:
I have progressive springs fitted and have tried with or without air theforks dont appear to be wobbly (back and forward) time will tell.

Welcome!

Is it an '06 as well? My full Race-Tech forks are quiet. No air is needed after respringing it. 15-20 weight oil is good too.

hey there all, I have an 06...and I noticed today over some heavy cracks in the road, the front forks seem to knock. To verify I sat on the bike with the front brake locked and " rocked " back and forth pushing down and pulling up on the handlebar and it is definately knocking. I usually run my forks at 9 psi when riding solo, and 13 psi when carrying a passenger. Well.......today I also went to let some air outta the front fork ( going solo ) and noticed fork oil came out of the valve.

Is all this normal?

OhHHH forgot to mention...I did try some wheelie attempts and came down a little hard....not sure if this would cause anything??

P.S I'm upgrading to Progressives soon

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Check the torque of your steering head nut. It should be 80 ft/lbs. If it's loose, your top triple knocks.

Mark

If it's knocking as it goes fully extended it could be the top out springs in the bottom of the forks as normally I don't think they are at rest against anything. When going fully extended they first make contact and a slight clunk can be heard. This can be tested at rest by sitting on the bike and pulling the front brake and firmly puling back on the handlebars with it in neutral. Mine did this at one point and I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Just a thought.

Rusty

If it's knocking as it goes fully extended it could be the top out springs in the bottom of the forks as normally I don't think they are at rest against anything. When going fully extended they first make contact and a slight clunk can be heard. This can be tested at rest by sitting on the bike and pulling the front brake and firmly puling back on the handlebars with it in neutral. Mine did this at one point and I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Just a thought.

Rusty

There's a spring in there to keep clunking to a minimum though...

Check the torque of your steering head nut. It should be 80 ft/lbs. If it's loose, your top triple knocks.

Mark

It took me weeks to find that out. Don`t know what the torque is but I tightened down the head nut pretty tight as a last resort and it worked for me.:clapping:

MY 07 VMAX MAKES SOME KIND OF NOISE IN THE FORKS NEW TO VMAXES NOT SURE WHAT IT IS
JUST HAD 600 MILE SERVICE DONE I GUESS I'LL HAVE DEALER CHECK IT OUT NEXT VISIT.

NOEL

MY 07 VMAX MAKES SOME KIND OF NOISE IN THE FORKS NEW TO VMAXES NOT SURE WHAT IT IS
JUST HAD 600 MILE SERVICE DONE I GUESS I'LL HAVE DEALER CHECK IT OUT NEXT VISIT.

NOEL

Why let the stealer do it?? You know they'll just tell you they couldn't reproduce it...:whistlin:

Torque the head bearings down...:thumbs up:

Why let the stealer do it?? You know they'll just tell you they couldn't reproduce it...:whistlin:

Torque the head bearings down...:thumbs up:

i proably sound stupid but i'm new to vmax & don't want to screw it up any details you can give on procedure would be great. i've had nothing but bad luck with local dealer i had to drive 400 miles just to get service done sucks big time

thanks noel

i proably sound stupid but i'm new to vmax & don't want to screw it up any details you can give on procedure would be great. i've had nothing but bad luck with local dealer i had to drive 400 miles just to get service done sucks big time

thanks noel

Check out the VMF links above for great how to's and links to other Vmax related sites.

HERE is the one you need...:thumbs up:

Back