09 Mufflers all Show Cosmedics

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
I just removed the Mufflers off my 09. The two mufflers together weigh about 9.8 lbs. I believe someone else weighed the silencer/converter can at 20 lbs. That means entire system is only 30 pounds. Their is not going to be near the weight savings on the 09 as there was on the 1st Gens. when going to an aftermarket system.

I ran the bike with the mufflers removed and there didn't appear to be much difference in sound levels. The mufflers are a straight through system. I believe the can does all the silencing work. So if you don't like the looks of the stock mufflers you can clamp about anything you like on there (couple of red cherry bombs) straight pipes etc. Its not going to change the performance any or make it much louder.

I'm not sure we are going to attain the small block chev rumble from this bike like on the first generations. (Damn I'd miss that.) Guess we won't know for sure until some one runs it with just the header pipes.

It takes about 10 minutes to remove both mufflers from the bike.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 104
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
Looks a lot cleaner without the cans on it!:thumbs up: That's interesting for the weight of the exhaust. Thanks for the breakdown and pics of your investigation! :clapping::cheers:

Thanks for the photos and info! :thumbs up:
I really think this bike is goning to look even more badass with the right exhaust, lowered and the cluttered looking bits minimized. :punk::punk:

Akropovic is already working on a full titanium system. With the cat gone we should be able to get that rumble. I'm sure its gonna be a hefty pricetag.

That's what I love about vmax guys - brand new bike and already taking it apart - gotta love it - thanks for the pics!

Mike

Akropovic is already working on a full titanium system. With the cat gone we should be able to get that rumble. I'm sure its gonna be a hefty pricetag.

Count on it!!

The Full EVO TI System for my 09 R1 that is ariving this month is:

MSRP $2710.95 One Retailer is listing at $2409.95 :bang head::damn angry:

Bike looks like it's got a stretched swingarm without the mufflers! I can't believe that these monsters are there just for show!? You sure the bike isn't way louder in higher revs, and just similar at idle?

Bike looks like it's got a stretched swingarm without the mufflers! I can't believe that these monsters are there just for show!? You sure the bike isn't way louder in higher revs, and just similar at idle?

I didn't ride it with them off but did rev it up a couple of times. I can see daylight through them. I'm sure they do some quieting at higher RPM's the basic exaust note stays the same. Nothing like drilling out the stock mufflers on a 1st gen. I really think about any open can or pipe could be put on it without changing the performance for the good or bad!

My guess is that a 4 -2 or a 4-2-1 system will be easier to design for the 09 than it was on the 1st gen. More room to work with on the 09.

You may find that riding it without them makes a big difference..

FX on starvmax.com ran his on a dyno and had 177hp to the wheel stock, 180hp with the airfilter removed, and with the cans removed, he gained only 0.5 hp. It sounds like removing the cat and having a better air filter will really uncork this thing. We'll probably have to wait for Power Commander before we can do this though. I don't think there is an aftermarket airfilter yet. He is also the one that busted the speed limiter.

the side view of the 09 with the factory cans was something I wasn't impressed with from the time I first saw the bike.They look like slabs of aluminum.Can't wait to see some aftermarket systems for these.Nice job with the breakdown and pics.It still is an awesome looking bike.Have fun with it .

Some of the best looking and sounding pipes I've seen on a Busa were from Akropovic. If they can create a style that goes with the new Max and not just some round/oval cans they would definately be at the top of my list.

i think once you get the cans and pipes as well as the cats off the bike there will be a good weight savings... cats usually are the heaviest part of all..

i think once you get the cans and pipes as well as the cats off the bike there will be a good weight savings... cats usually are the heaviest part of all..

The first post said the that the total weight was 30 pounds. I don't know how much lighter you can make an after market system.

Back