1 Month Later...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
Hey gang!

Thought I'd check in with my 1 month (a few days late) anniversary report. I am lovin' the Max. It's almost exactly as I expected, thanks to reading everyone's posts for so long. Probably the BEST thing is the thrust available at any speed. This is the first bike where I never feel the need to downshift. Sometimes I COULD do it, but it's so unnecessary. Handling is, as stated so many times on this forum, not it's strong suit, and just as mentioned in various posts, a Furber(sp?) fix is needed.

As I have had the opportunity to talk to a couple of Max owners, it sounds like slipping stock clutches are a way of life in Max world - so it's on the list of items to address. My 2nd gear is fine for upshifts, but downshifting is still hit or miss... sometimes it goes in fine, sometimes the lever stays down and the transmission clicks for a few seconds - the either goes into gear or into neutral. I can live with it, but it's annoying :bang head:

Now after riding the bike to work nearly everyday for over a month, and having put about 1200 miles on it, I have learned a few things:

1. Riding in LA can be frightening.

2. Learn to lane split, and the level of fear actually goes down after it increases (in Texas I NEVER got that close to a car!)

3. Big torque is awesome!

4. Max is heavier than my old V65 Magna, feels lighter, but still needs to lose a few pounds.

5. I will probably have spent as much on this bike when I feel "done" as if I bought a new Gen 2.

6. I will love it even more then.

7. I want more Maxes!

8. Eventually you run out of stuff for your list, but want to keep it going..

More to follow...

5. I will probably have spent as much on this bike when I feel "done" as if I bought a new Gen 2.
6. I will love it even more then.
7. I want more Maxes!
You took the words right out of my mouth.

8. Eventually you run out of stuff for your list, but want to keep it going..
You took the words right out my Monkey's mouth.

Are you aware this is a sickness for which there is no cure?......................Sounds like you're embracing it like the rest of us!...............Welcome to the madness....................Tom.

Oh, yes... I am aware of this illness. Heck I had the bug before I got the bike. But now it's spread all over the house, even my 15 year old daughter is wanting a bike. Since the Max is a bit much for her now:wink:, I think a Virago 250 is in her future!

I would suggest a dirt bike for all new riders .

+1 million. Dirt hurts less than pavement. Mistakes on a dirt bike are much more forgiving. You learn how to use the clutch and brakes properly. You learn the importance of body positioning and its effect on turning, traction, braking, and balance. A few years in the dirt make you a MUCH better street rider IMO.

I agree, I got started on mini bikes and moved on to trail bikes when I was young, by the time I hit the street legally I was very comfortable with two wheels and have enjoyed my time in the saddle..............................Tom.

Yes'um, there is not a cure for owning a max, and you never hear anyone ever say 'ARE WE THERE YET?' that own's one. I agree dirt hurts a lot less than any street. It teaches a new riders many things, mainly respect for the bike. My daughter also would like to have a bike, but I can't seem to get her to want to get her driver's Lic for a car much less for a motorcycle. My first dirt bike was a 250 Honda, it was a blast to learn on, oh tree's hurt too, that a story for another time.

Last edited:
Yep, sounds like you got the bug alright! I also ride the freeways of SoCal splitting lanes and have been for years now.The best advice I can give you is always have a couple of fingers resting on the front brake lever and be ready for anything. As you know there are some crazy ass cagers out there.lol! As for your daughter riding,if she's really serious let take one of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Courses. My wife and daughter-in-law took it a few years ago and it was money well spent. They provide the 200cc motorcycles for them to train on in a big traffic free parking lot and they don't have to take the skills test at DMV,just the written.Also will lower their insurance and they learn a lot of good stuff. Just something to consider.
Mike

That's great, your having so much fun with your Vmax Borg.When I first got mine it was just a blast!! I couldn't stay off off the thing.I know what u mean about LA traffic.I grue up riding motor bikes there.Lived in the SanFernando Valley for years. We are lucky are state permits lane spliting.I wouldn't have it any other way.:rockon00:

Back