18" wheels/tire ???'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have owned my max for 1.5 months and find myself looking for a sixth gear like I had on my old Honda Sabre. I have read here in the forums about the Venture diff swap to pick up taller gearing. I also see that 4gasem is running a 18" rear wheel(grats on getting your Max back on the road once again!:thumbs up: ) and I understand that effectively raises gearing too.
How much does either one of the mods, 18" tire/ diff swap, hurt the low end? Does it just hurt the off the line/drag strip performance? Or does it noticably affect "in a gear too high but what hell I'm passing anyway" power it has now?
I am also thinking about what mods and in what order I should do them in to to make this perform like I want it to. I'm not looking to drag race it, or set it up to try to beat hayabusa's through the twisty's. I like the personality it has now, just want to refine it, and personalize it a bit to be unique, but still at a glance you know it's a V-max.
I am on course to replace my seat (Sean Morley's!!), up grade to Marks exhaust/ stage 7 during the winter downtime. Future mods I would like to do would be Galfer rotors/R1-R6 calipers, front/rear wheels/ radials tires, USDforks, and progressive rear shocks. Plus other bits and pieces....IR gonna be broke for the next 5 years LOL

At the track I lost 3 mph and .3 tenths with the venture rear end. I do have the RS fifth gear which I don't suggest replacing unless the engine is out. It's like shifting from 4th to 7th though.

Sean

Well at (true) gps 70mph I run around 4800 RPM now I think. I will have to recheck that.

With the 17 I ran 5200 or so...

It is MUCH better for the highway now. It takes a bit of getting used to, but overall I am very happy.

What I notice the most is how well the back brake works now... The UFO wheel weighed like 28 pounds without the tire and this one is like 18lbs...:drool:

I hit the back brake and it's like God came down and grabed the back of the bike...:clapping:

I would recommend the 18 as I have now had all three...:bang head: Stock, 17 and 18...:whistlin:

I don't want to drag race either so it's all good.

Some say the 18 is better on the track as 1st gear is so short anyway.:confused2:

WELL when are we gonna see some pics

I am also interested in the 18" rims and their effects. Do they help in cornering??

Remember Guys...

Wheel size in inches (13/14/15/16/17/18/22/24/Bling) has Absolutley Nothing to do with the rpm you are running at speed on a geared setup. It?s the tire diameter/circumference you wrap around that wheel that determines this ratio!

(The only exception to this rule would be if you are running a wheel with a circumference larger than your stock tire, and I don't think they make 26" wheels for the Vmax :biglaugh: )

Keeping all things equal, IE. Nothing changes, except wheel sizes and tire sizes on your stock Vmax in the examples below, I give you this. Repeat?Nothing Else Changes!

Example:

The stock Vmax rear tire is 150/90-15
Diameter - 25.630
Circumference - 80.519
----------

Now check this out!

Run a 17? wheel with a 200/55-17 tire you get:
Diameter - 25.661
Circumference - 80.616

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/c...tId=404&leafCatId=40402&av=76&av=5662&av=9964

Or

Run a 17? wheel with a 190/60-17 tire you get:
Diameter - 25.976
Circumference - 81.606

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/t...?store=Main&catId=404&leafCatId=&skuId=543107

These 17? tires actually give you a taller ratio and will LOWER your Rpm slightly over the stock Vmax setup at the same Mph!

----------

In the same respect:

Run a 200/50/-17 tire you get:
Diameter - 24.874
Circumference - 78.144

And this would give you a shorter ratio thus increasing your Rmp over the stock Vmax tire at the same Mph.

It all has to do with the total circumference of the tire you are turning, not the wheel it rotates on.

----------

Here?s a neat little tire calculator for you to mess around with:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

----------

Just want to set the record straight since several wheel companies are downing the 17? wheels saying they lower the ratio too much and only 18? will do. This is completely false and the facts about diameter/circumference have been around since man first invented the wheel.

Sorry for being so long winded! I thought about giving you the actual speeds in Mph for 5th gear on a Vmax for each tire size, but, I'll save that for later. :punk:

:cheers:

Neil

180/55/17= 24.795 This is what I had!

180/55/18= 25.795 This is what I have now!

:thumbs up:

I like the calculator and will add it to links!:banana:

Wow, your Max looks pretty sweet 4gasem! Especially those wheels, love them in black!:punk: Where did you pick up the cateye led taillight?

Just looked in the forum garage and saw the bike 4gasem, those wheels are sweet. I want a pair.

Thanks guys!

The Cat Eye is a whole rear eliminator kit! :thumbs up:

One of the best looking ones out there IMHO! I bought it and had it powder coated flat black to match the frame!:coolgleamA:

Just wish it was rideable... I have had the worst luck on modding this bike...

I've sold a set of RC comp 18 rear and 19 front combo. Guy really likes it and lets him choose from tires orignially set for the Vrod so he actually has a few to choose from

Sean

Latest posts

Back