1985 Max - wont start after surgery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadManx

Reaction score
I have just replaced the starter clutch on my max (fortunately the flywheel removal on mine was not a hernia maker :) ) 5 tonne puller and some sweat and time was all it took.
The job went relatively easy once I got the parts .....(took a couple of weeks to get a new starter clutch assembly) - the existing one had cracked.
Ran strong before the procedure - although was a pig to start.
During the time I was waiting for spares, my max was resting on an angle of about 45 degree on some tires, foam etc to stop the oil completely leaking out....flywheel removed.

On reassembly I have a sweet strong starter engaging with none of the previous sounds....much to my relief.

However the beast will not start :( :confused2:
Summary -
- Battery is a new 2-3 months (odyssey) - which was charged fully of the bike before putting in.
- I have a healthy spark
- clean fresh gas
- fuel is getting to carbs - fuel pump runs
- cleaned kill switch in case it was that.

All I get is the odd backfire, but no life ? ?

Final note:
I put some supertrapp slip on a two months ago just before the bike was garaged......sounds sweet :D Oh, and a Steibel airhorn - that make it sounds like a semi truck...... Other than that the bike is pretty much stock....and was running fine.

Sean would be more up on this than I or any other super Vmax guy. But I am wondering if it doesn't have to do with the carburation. Since it was layed over for that period of time. perhaps something was disturbed? Heck just a guess.

Scooter

any change, choke no choke? have u checked each plug to see that its firing? are you sure each carb bowl has gas in it?

it was sitting for a while eh? make sure nothing made its home inside your exhaust/headers too.

I have just replaced the starter clutch on my max (fortunately the flywheel removal on mine was not a hernia maker :) ) 5 tonne puller and some sweat and time was all it took.
The job went relatively easy once I got the parts .....(took a couple of weeks to get a new starter clutch assembly) - the existing one had cracked.
Ran strong before the procedure - although was a pig to start.
During the time I was waiting for spares, my max was resting on an angle of about 45 degree on some tires, foam etc to stop the oil completely leaking out....flywheel removed.

On reassembly I have a sweet strong starter engaging with none of the previous sounds....much to my relief.

However the beast will not start :( :confused2:
Summary -
- Battery is a new 2-3 months (odyssey) - which was charged fully of the bike before putting in.
- I have a healthy spark
- clean fresh gas
- fuel is getting to carbs - fuel pump runs
- cleaned kill switch in case it was that.

All I get is the odd backfire, but no life ? ?

Final note:
I put some supertrapp slip on a two months ago just before the bike was garaged......sounds sweet :D Oh, and a Steibel airhorn - that make it sounds like a semi truck...... Other than that the bike is pretty much stock....and was running fine.
Propably something hapend with pickup coils while diassembly.

Propably you're loosing the pickup signal from the flywheel.

I dont see any other explanation :confused2:

You can always use a small amount of starting fluid with the air filter out, and see if that helps at all (that may or may not determine if it is a fuel issue) another thing to try is get all new plugs, you may have fouled one, or gotten some oil on it, but they are cheap and it won't take long to do. Then if that doesn't help at all, try disconnecting a plug wire one at a time, then try turning it over... you may find that it is only firing on one or two cylinders.... maybe you can even feel the header pipes and determine what cylinders are firing. I would guess that it is a spark/electrical issue. Try getting some electrical connector cleaner and clean the plugs that you disconnected (especially the stator/pick-up connectors). I think satariel666 is probably spot on with the pickups, and either getting a weak signal or no signal at all. Those are some things to try.. good luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

Pickup coils would be my guess as well....I had a similar issue once when I had to pull the flywheel off an old outboard. After re-assembly the damn thing just refused to start and run, but would fart over a bit. What really threw me is that it appeared to have spark when hooked up to a checker....you would see a spark, though it did look kinda weak, however more digging revealed a very intermittent spark...firing only every few revolutions. In the dissassembly of the guts under the flywheel, the coils in the middle weren't quite in the right spot. I adjusted it "out" as much as I could and re-tightened. The difference was maybe only a few thousandths of an inch, but then it started right up.

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I've pulled each plug, and see a healthy spark on each. Although they were a little fouled, probably from all the non starting.....Also I have pulled the the main fuel line and I can see that fuel is getting to the carbs ....dont have any easy start left (will have to get some tomorrow)..

Measured the resistance to the pickup coil, which was around 110 Ohms on each.
(Black wire to each of the other 4 as per Clymer manaual...although its not 68 degrees as it suggests in my shop).
The Stator wires are soldered together to the reg/rec.

So until I get the easy start I cannot prove that the fuel is getting to the carbs for sure.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. :pullhair:

Cheers!

OK - Finally I have had time to both fix my bike and close this thread of.

I have checked spark plugs, replaced them, shotgun'd the carbs, cleaned all the electrical connections, tested the coils, pickup coils, clean kills switch etc etc etc.

I finally split open the crankcase again to retrace my steps.....

what I found wasn't a dead animal or anything else lurking there ....but on the inside of the flywheel, something caught my attention.....reached for pair of needle nose pliers and pulled out a small slice of steel..... worrying. :ummm:

I decided to pull the flywheel again..... and there was the problem.....don't ask me how, but the woodruff key was split! Therefore the flywheel was slightly off. This gives you fuel in the carbs (obviously- as its not related) and I had spark when checking each of the plugs....but there's no point in having spark, if it aint sparking when you need it too!

I got a new woodruff key, and within 30 seconds, of buttoning the bike back up, I was listening to the sounds of 4/2 supertrapps roaring and scaring the neighbours dogs! :clapping:

First ride this year on the max tomorrow -

Thanks to all for suggestions

Cheers guys !

That's a new one for me. Must have installed it a little off when you put it back on the last time.

Sean

Dunno Sean - I made sure it went on clean, to be honest I didn't inspect it when pulling the flywheel or putting it back on, as it was just there .... and obviously didnt pay enough attention when tightening. No real answer / conclusion.... but happy she's running and I was tired of scratching my head

Back