• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1985 Original Stock VMax for sale $8900

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85Stock

Reaction score
D48DCED1-81DE-45C9-BEF1-352175CCA61D.jpg EE47E2B1-B7ED-431D-9561-276520EEF027.jpg D48DCED1-81DE-45C9-BEF1-352175CCA61D.jpg EE47E2B1-B7ED-431D-9561-276520EEF027.jpg 30542 miles. Reducing price to $3500.00 Complete engine, fluids, oil, carb, tank, brakes, plugs, new battery, new stater, hoses, wiring... everything serviced and by local master mechanic Scotts Motorcycle Service. Runs fabulous. Never wrecked. Has custom red paint, fly screen, progressive front shocks, braided steel break lines and air horn as only modifications. Email [email protected]
Phone 205-240-8001
Birmingham AL

Last edited:
Has it been repainted?
It doesn't look to be an 85 color.

I bought the bike from the original owner in May of 1996. He had a high end auto paint business and he painted it Red. It was originally blue.

I bought the bike from the original owner in May of 1996. He had a high end auto paint business and he painted it Red. It was originally blue.

Thanks, looks great.

Also wondering about the VIN last four digits....

I think by that many miles, a lot of VMaxes have 2nd gear issues.

You probably don't want to spend the $, but to a collector, it should be the OEM amethyst color to bring the price you're asking. Since it's probably gonna be a repaint, not original, though you may be able to buy a complete set of tins in the original color, if you were patient.

The side cover doesn't appear to be OEM 1985 either, on the right side. The left side one does appear correct, is it just the camera angle?

Does the last four vin number end 0001 ? just asking

The last four digits of the vin are 1926. When I had the bike serviced at Scott’s, I had him go over everything including the transmission, driveshaft and clutch. I was planning on keeping the bike, but with 3 children growing up and 2 driving. Life has gotten expensive. I asked a buddy of mine that is into rebuilding antique Motorcycles what he would do to make mine ready to sell and he said the paint job was spectacular and he wouldn’t change it back to the original blue. I sure appreciate your advice and input about the paint color and side panels. I’ll take some close up pictures and post them. I also forgot to post that I had progressive shocks installed in the front forks.

Well, if it's clean and everything works OK, then that is better than a lot of similar bikes on the market, for the age. Spring is the time to sell, but if you really need to get-off it, be flexible on the price.

First-year bikes were the only ones to have the embossed (stamped-in) VMax on the side covers, after that, they used a glue-on emblem on plain-flat side covers (the top-half was plain, the bottom-half, they all had a stamped-in pattern, but not the lettering.

I believe the 1985 production run for USA was about 8800 bikes, they start at #0101 so your bike was from the first quarter's production. If you were looking to sell it as an original, try to find that first year color, and sell the custom paint tins separately. Or, just leave it all as-is, and be flexible in what you would accept.

You had Progressive springs, not shocks, installed in the front forks.

The last four digits of the vin are 1926. When I had the bike serviced at Scott’s, I had him go over everything including the transmission, driveshaft and clutch. I was planning on keeping the bike, but with 3 children growing up and 2 driving. Life has gotten expensive. I asked a buddy of mine that is into rebuilding antique Motorcycles what he would do to make mine ready to sell and he said the paint job was spectacular and he wouldn’t change it back to the original blue. I sure appreciate your advice and input about the paint color and side panels. I’ll take some close up pictures and post them. I also forgot to post that I had progressive shocks installed in the front forks.

Thank you for your time and for your service as a Fire Medic. Your wealth of knowledge is so very interesting. I love gleaning what you have to offer. Back in the day when I bought my VMAX, I was a voracious imbiver of all things motorcycle. Back then Harley’s with loud pipes were the hot commodity. I felt like a VMAX was comfortable like a cruiser, fast like a cafe racer, and looked like a motorcycle version of a gasser. I still think the same all these years later. Thank you

Well, if it's clean and everything works OK, then that is better than a lot of similar bikes on the market, for the age. Spring is the time to sell, but if you really need to get-off it, be flexible on the price.

First-year bikes were the only ones to have the embossed (stamped-in) VMax on the side covers, after that, they used a glue-on emblem on plain-flat side covers (the top-half was plain, the bottom-half, they all had a stamped-in pattern, but not the lettering.

I believe the 1985 production run for USA was about 8800 bikes, they start at #0101 so your bike was from the first quarter's production. If you were looking to sell it as an original, try to find that first year color, and sell the custom paint tins separately. Or, just leave it all as-is, and be flexible in what you would accept.

You had Progressive springs, not shocks, installed in the front forks.
I still have the bike and hardly ride it. So, I’m taking your advice and lowering the price to $5900

I still have the bike and hardly ride it. So, I’m taking your advice and lowering the price to $5900
For anyone looking to purchase a first-year bike, this sure is clean, and you can always get an amethyst blue set of tins to make it as-delivered from the factory. The color looks like the 1965 Mustang poppy red, a solid color, not metallic. Ford code M1730

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=60449&syear=1965&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Poppy Red&name=1965_00041_01
Thank you for the advice and your kind referral. I love the bike, but have declined in balance. I feel safer with 4 tires underneath.

Hate to tell you this but the back wheel is not original. It is a later model, 90's if I'm not mistaken. Front wheel is original, side covers are 85. I have and early 86 and the 85's and 86's used the same rear wheel. Most of these scooters go for about $3500 with 10k miles on them. Just to give you a price range in case you are not just fishing a bit....

Hate to tell you this but the back wheel is not original. It is a later model, 90's if I'm not mistaken. Front wheel is original, side covers are 85. I have and early 86 and the 85's and 86's used the same rear wheel. Most of these scooters go for about $3500 with 10k miles on them. Just to give you a price range in case you are not just fishing a bit....
That is an 85 back wheel ! 85 is the only year that had that wheel.

That is an 85 back wheel ! 85 is the only year that had that wheel.

Kyle, I believe the '86 had the same structure wheels front and rear as the '85. There may have been a difference in paint. This pic does appear to show the embossed side panel cover, instead of the bas-relief, glued-on VMax emblem. See what Clement Salvadori says in this article, he's usually accurate in what he writes.
https://ridermagazine.com/2013/12/31/retrospective-yamaha-vmx12-v-max-1200-1985-1986-also-1988-2007/

vmax-1986.jpg

Here's a pic of the dealer-applied optional paint trim.
VMax dealer paint stripes option.jpg

Last edited:
Kyle, I believe the '86 had the same structure wheels front and rear as the '85. There may have been a difference in paint. This pic does appear to show the embossed side panel cover, instead of the bas-relief, glued-on VMax emblem. See what Clement Salvadori says in this article, he's usually accurate in what he writes.
https://ridermagazine.com/2013/12/31/retrospective-yamaha-vmx12-v-max-1200-1985-1986-also-1988-2007/

View attachment 69858

Here's a pic of the dealer-applied optional paint trim.
View attachment 69859
I knew the 86 had the same front wheel. I have never seen that rear on a 86 before maybe they had it part of the year or used some leftover 85 wheels.

I have an early 1986 model and it has that wheel on it. The build date is 1985

I have an early 1986 model and it has that wheel on it. The build date is 1985
The accumulated knowlege is a wonderful thing that you and other members possess.
What do you think about my 1985 being priced at $5900? Another member said that $3500 was more reasonable. I did have a master mechanic go over the bike top to bottom and replace, rewire and make reliable at a cost of $2000 and figured someone like me that is not mechanically inclined would appreciate getting a classic that was in perfect running order.

My opinion: people will wait until you get desperate to sell, and hope that your need for cash makes you sell 'upside-down' on your price & work put-into it. These bikes are probably close-to being bottomed-out in value, though I think they can go further-down in value. What will REALLY kill the VMax Gen 1 is if Yamaha stops supporting them. Some parts are already unavailable except NOS in someone's inventory, or from used bikes.

My opinion, the two VMaxes having value above just being a used old bike are the first year and the 20th anniversary. The less altered, the better. From dealers, the prices would be better (for them, i.e., higher sales price), because they usually offer some type of warranty, even if it's only a month. Private sales are usually less $ exchanging hands, because it's "as-is, where-is," no warranty.

Spending $2,000 at a shop to get your bike in tip-top shape is probably a waste of money that you will never recoup. Every used bike is going to have things which are NOT "as it left the factory," whether it's oxidation on the clear-coated die-cast aluminum pieces, or the black painted pieces, specifically the engine. The fenders and faux gas tank cover can fade, especially for bright colors like reds. Upholstery rips, seams split, forks get pitting: OEM fork seals and aftermarket downtubes will run you about $450 for the parts, and then installation costs, if you cannot do it.

My opinion is that you do what's necessary to get the bike safely operating, reliably, and don't try to make it "showroom new," because the market for these just isn't there to be purchased at a high sale price.

The market for clean later-model VMax bikes is probably more-in the $3,000-4,500 range from what I've seen. There is a continuous supply of them here, where we ride 12 months of the year, and have a resident population of 6 million in the tri-county area (W. Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami). You see some people asking the bucks, but those bikes stay on CL, and over-time their prices eventually come-down, before they are gone.

The disadvantage is that if you can't work on your bike yourself, you have to pay $$$ to have it done, and the number of shops who will work on them is small. I've heard of dealerships refusing to work on them, because of so-many things being wrong, and they don't want to risk the customer becoming an "eva-since" customer: "eva-since you put on new tires and brake pads, my bike's been idling crappy, and the battery's dead!" One has nothing to do with the other, but try explaining that to a no-mechanical-aptitude owner, who then turns to social media to sling mud at the dealer.

Hopefully you will find someone who wants a first-year bike, and who sees the quality of care it was given to avoid problems in the carburetion, charging, and 2nd gear wear these bikes are prone-to developing with the passage of time, and use.

Last edited:
Back