200/55-18

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay.b

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put this tire on. Looks like it will fit w/ minimal notching. What are the pros and cons? thanks Jay

What size rim are you running? I would suggest you only run it on a 6 or 6.25" rim to keep the correct tire patch profile.

Never seen a 5.75... That's better than 5.5 though. I know a lot of people run a 200 on a 5.5 but it's not supposed to be. Remember that the contact patch changes when you squeeze the tire in.

I'd probably go no larger than a 190 but I'm not you... lol

Chris

i was running a dunlop 190 on a stock arm with one of the ebay 17x5.5 wheels. i think i only got about 3000 miles outta it before the cords started to show. 180 is the largest recommended tire on a 5.5" wheel. i'm now running a metzeler 180 on the rear and its holding up much better than the 190.

later odieoh24

i was running a dunlop 190 on a stock arm with one of the ebay 17x5.5 wheels. i think i only got about 3000 miles outta it before the cords started to show. 180 is the largest recommended tire on a 5.5" wheel. i'm now running a metzeler 180 on the rear and its holding up much better than the 190.

later odieoh24
That fist what i heard that 180 is recommended for 5,5 rim :ummm:
You know, lot of tolerance here.

I have for now 6" rim and run with 190 tyre and the guy on the tyre change told me that i can put 220 for that rim.
Standard v-max rim is 4,5 or 4 (dont remember) and you have 150 tyre.

I'm running a 200/55-18 Avon Cobra AV72 on an 18" RC wheel, it's 5.5" wide and the tire fits perfectly without too much "wrap" or pulling in of the sidewall.

I think perhaps if you ran a 50 series tire it could possibly be too narrow of a rim but I doubt it even then.

I love it, it wears perfectly and sticks wonderfully, absolutely zero issues with handling, anyone that tells you a 200 can't run the twisties like a narrower tire is splitting hairs and needs to come down to Texas and run the "three sisters" with me. i don't doubt that in the hands of a top nothc rider on the perfect bike a 160 or 180 handles better but on the Vmax I think it's over emphasizing a minor point.

My nothching, which I did myself, is down to the depth that the filler plate that covers the nothc is about .060 from the driveshaft, which is fine, I've got 7,000 mile on it since notched and have had the driveshaft out and it showed no signs of rub.

The notch I just described leaves a full 3/8" between the tire and the swingarm, If they made a 220 in 18" it would fit as well.

You can search my posts and find the pics of it if you want, although some of them may be with the 180 I had on there when I first installed the swingarm.

You need to make sure you ain't got a lot of freeplay in the swingarm bearing if you do this tho'

I'm running a 200/55-18 Avon Cobra AV72 on an RC wheel, not sure of the width but it's whatever the standard firment for Vmax in RC wheels is listed on UFO's website. You could search my older psots back when I put it on, cause I used to know but have since forgotten.

I love it, it wears perfectly and sticks wonderfully, absolutely zero issues with handling, anyone that tells you a 200 can't run the twisties like a narrower tire is splitting hairs and needs to come down to Texas and run the "three sisters" with me. i don't doubt that in the hands of a top nothc rider on the perfect bike a 160 or 180 handles better but on the Vmax I think it's over emphasizing a minor point.

My nothching, which I did myself, is down to the depth that the filler plate that covers the nothc is about .060 from the driveshaft, which is fine, I've got 7,000 mile on it since notched and have had the driveshaft out and it showed no signs of rub.

You need to make sure you ain't got a lot of freeplay in the swingarm bearing if you do this tho'

So you only had to notch on the shaft side? I thought it looked close. My tire will be here tomorrow. :punk:Thanks Jay

So you only had to notch on the shaft side? I thought it looked close. My tire will be here tomorrow. :punk:Thanks Jay

No notching needed on the right side, at least with the RC wheel.

As far as I can tell the offset from centerline on the RC is the same as the stocker.

Back