2nd Gear Noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
Any of you guys experience anything like this? When I downshift into second from third, I get a knocking sound, it just started two days ago and is getting worse quickly, I stopped using second because it is starting to happen on the up shift as well. It only happens in second, there is no difference in power, pull, nothing pops out or anything like that. It seems to be directly tied to the tranny/clutch, if I engage the clutch the noise goes away as do the RPMs... Just thought I'd ask for ideas.

Damien

Ps. I'm down shiffting at < 4K rpm. I've stopped down shifting at all at this point.

If it's only making the noise in 2nd gear - no others - it's more than likely that gear is gone.

Sure Sean will have the final word on this, but to me it sounds ominous. Might have to split the cases and get undercut gears in there.

yes it does, but louder and has a kind of hollow thunking sound.:bang head:

well its official, if you want to find out if something is going to break on your bike, just let me ride it.

I had a Brother in Law that could break anything. He's probably torn up more vehicles than I've owned and that's in the neighborhood of a hundred... Don't be down on yourself. PO probably blew a few power shifts and had things well on the way.... Fix it and go ride it like hell. It lasted 20 years the first time....

Dave in Florida

Thanks Dave, I'll bet you're right, it was the PO and not me. I haven't ridden the bike that hard yet. A few pulls to the rev limitter thats about it. Sean is going to hook me up with something else, and then I should be good to go for a few more miles :biglaugh:. The VMax has been a love hate relationship, love the ride, the tourqe, the hp etc... hate ripping into the bike all the time in the summer...

Damien

I had a Brother in Law that could break anything. He's probably torn up more vehicles than I've owned and that's in the neighborhood of a hundred... Don't be down on yourself. PO probably blew a few power shifts and had things well on the way.... Fix it and go ride it like hell. It lasted 20 years the first time....

Dave in Florida

Hey Damien. I realize this thread was old a decade ago, but my Max is doing the exact same thing. Did you find out what the problem was? What did you do to fix it?

Back