2nd gear prob. cost?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place for this...but...

i see a lot pf maxes for sale cheaper..because they have the bad 2nd gear...poppin put and whatnot.
does anybody know aproxx how much the repair wld be..asumming second gear is completely spent?
i most likely would not attempt it myself..just yet.
motors..ok..but tranny scares me.

my other thought is that if gears got busted..maybe they were kinda rough on the bike?..

thanks
t

Motorcycle transmissions aren't all that tough. Just takes some attention to detail during disassembly. If you are confident enough to tear it down for engine work, you should be able to handle the transmission.

Its seems pretty common to happen on these bikes. I wouldn't think the bike was terribly abused just because of a 2nd gear issue. Besides, its a vmax. Hard to believe there is anyone out there that doesn't romp on it pretty hard.

I've never done a vmax trans but hear its common to spend about $1K on a trans rebuild if you are turning the wrenches.

Motorcycle transmissions aren't all that tough. Just takes some attention to detail during disassembly. If you are confident enough to tear it down for engine work, you should be able to handle the transmission.

Its seems pretty common to happen on these bikes. I wouldn't think the bike was terribly abused just because of a 2nd gear issue. Besides, its a vmax. Hard to believe there is anyone out there that doesn't romp on it pretty hard.

I've never done a vmax trans but hear its common to spend about $1K on a trans rebuild if you are turning the wrenches.

+1 totally.

A quad cam V4 doesn't scare me, but I was a bit worried about doing my transmission. I don't think it went too bad. now the crankcase is back together I'm pretty confident it will be OK. (It's not back in the bike yet though.)

The gears (you replace 4 gears as a set) and bearings (5), gaskets and a couple of seals cost less than a grand. Can't remember exactly, but I got change.

I did the same job on a Katana once. It's common on all type of big bore Jap bikes. Once you have done one, you can understand why it happens. It's not proof of abuse at all. It's proof of being used.

I think allow $2000 in your head to start with when you make an offer on a bike.

I've got a build spread sheet of our engine options (including transmission work only) available if you want it. Email me directly and i'll send it to you. [email protected]

Latest posts

Back