2WF california engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travolous

Reaction score
So, I saw on Vmaxoutlaw's website that the 2WF engine was rated at 140 horsepower for my 1995 opposed to the 145hp that the 49 state engine 2WE is getting. Does anybody know where the 5hp difference was and how I can get it back? I read the carb jet thread dealing with the needle difference between the california and 49 state version but I haven't found anything which clearly states how I can get my bike back to the 145hp.

Honestly Im talking out of my ass on this one because I have NO idea...But start with ditching the charcoal can.Mostly just because I dont like them!
They signify "THE MAN" has had his work with my beloved bikes.Lucky for me my Max is a 49 stater

Honestly Im talking out of my ass on this one because I have NO idea...But start with ditching the charcoal can.Mostly just because I dont like them!
They signify "THE MAN" has had his work with my beloved bikes.Lucky for me my Max is a 49 stater
I 've also herd 5 hp less for a California Max.Can't prove it though.Mite just be another
Urban legend:confused2:

The best running Vmax I ever owned (and it's currently for sale by the new owner - my welder) was a cali bike. The 5 hp was probably lost in the paperwork as there is no difference.

Sean

Nice! That's good to know! Sean, your willingness to share knowledge is why i will always give you my business!

Best way to tell is to get it dyno'ed. I'd ditch the charcoal bottle too. I don't know what's involved but maybe you can do a dyno run with the bottle and one with out.

Plus that's 5 HP at the crank, once that HP reaches the wheel through the drive train, you might only have lost 1 maybe 2 HP.

Yes, Its in the cam shaft! The cam specs is a little smaller (compaired to non cali bikes) but not by much! My 2000 was a Cali bike and it ran hard but the non Cali bikes have a little more to give them an edge.

Not enough to make any appreciable or measureable difference.

Yes, Its in the cam shaft! The cam specs is a little smaller (compaired to non cali bikes) but not by much! My 2000 was a Cali bike and it ran hard but the non Cali bikes have a little more to give them an edge.
Where did you find these "specs"? Because I have asked many different sources and not a one could give me a straight answer...and I have been looking for a very long time. :( Even though the parts listings are obviously different between 49-state and Cal bikes there is still not rock-solid proof (that I know of) of the discrepancies, if any, between the cam profiles. I know the carbs are different. I have 49-state-ers on mine now and ripped off the canister and tossed in in the "round" bin.

I believe there are specs out there but I don't trust them as many specs haven't proven to be true or 100% accurate anyway.

Where did you find these "specs"? Because I have asked many different sources and not a one could give me a straight answer...and I have been looking for a very long time. :( Even though the parts listings are obviously different between 49-state and Cal bikes there is still not rock-solid proof (that I know of) of the discrepancies, if any, between the cam profiles. I know the carbs are different. I have 49-state-ers on mine now and ripped off the canister and tossed in in the "round" bin.

Right out of the Yamaha master Repair manual. Ill copy it for ya to show you. Unless Yamaha is wrong..... But I dont think so.

You'd be shocked at how many times they are wrong. Just to prove a point feel free to check all the times they issued corrections (which are usually listed in the front of all their service manuals).

Sean

You'd be shocked at how many times they are wrong. Just to prove a point feel free to check all the times they issued corrections (which are usually listed in the front of all their service manuals).

Sean

I'm sure they do. I was just saying.... They list the cam to be a little smaller then the rest. I think it might be enough to make a 5HP (give or take a couple) difference.

It does come down to how well you can tune and ride! Thats what makes the difference for sure.

My 2005 was the best running Vmax i've had in the shop (and I've had more then my fair share). It ran 11.40's with a bald ass back tire and completely stock (don't believe the magazines that they all run 10.90's). It made 127rwhp with our jet kit and Holeshot exhaust (which is among some of the best numbers we've seen with a stock engine - and again we've seen a few).

Sean

My 2005 was the best running Vmax i've had in the shop (and I've had more then my fair share). It ran 11.40's with a bald ass back tire and completely stock (don't believe the magazines that they all run 10.90's). It made 127rwhp with our jet kit and Holeshot exhaust (which is among some of the best numbers we've seen with a stock engine - and again we've seen a few).

Sean

I've got to get that jet kit ;) I need to get a header first though. Any recommendatiosn for a header to compliment the Dale Walker slip-ons that my bike came with?

i got a cal bike and it runs pretty good.i have raced a few states bikes.i would say the cal bike runs better than the states.v just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back